1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Saurus Guards' effectiveness?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Xasto, Aug 7, 2017.

1. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Just bought myself 15 Saurus Guard, now here's what I was wondering.

I know the Eternal Starhost is good, but I don't plan to use it quite yet and I dont have an eternity warden yet to do so, but eventually will.

The question is, without considering the eternal starhost, do you think my 15 guards would be better off as 1x15 or as 3x5? Are they better off as a horde unit or as little units? I was thinking maybe 3x5 and make them objective holders, what do you guys think?

Cheers

Ritual, Saminator and Boboassa like this.
  2. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

Too expensive for objective holders, I'd go for a block of 15. Also invest in a skink priest to get you rerolling your saves :)

Ritual, Ecozh, Boboassa and 1 other person like this.
  3. Xasto
    Terradon

Xasto Well-Known Member

Already have that skink priest and I couldn't love it more hahaha!

Ritual and Boboassa like this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, if you don't face mortal wounds spam, use them as single fighting unit, and use skinks for objectives

Ritual likes this.
  5. Gunakin
    Skink

Gunakin New Member

I dont think it's worth without warden

Ritual and Boboassa like this.
  6. Ecozh
    Cold One

Ecozh Active Member

I use them in groups of three, close together. 3 champs so 3 extra attacks.
    ( but I don't use the priest)

Enemies that do multiple damage and Mortal wounds can (worst case) never kill more than 5.

Ritual and Saminator like this.
  7. Meatgrinder
    Skink

Meatgrinder Member

I dont think Guard are worth it anymore. Theyre too expensive for single wound models. 300 points for 15 is bad value, even with their damage output. I was hoping for a points drop in GHB2, but that didnt happen so mine are going to be sitting on a shelf for a while. Eternal starhost isnt good, and it just got more expensive for no gain. The problem is still the lack of mortal wound defense, even a few mortal wounds begins to cripple your unit.

8. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think they are still great, against everyone who doesn't bring many mortal wounds.
    With the new teleport ability we can use the rest of the army to snipe units that do, and some of those mortal wound sources (those who are wizards) we can now do more against, unbinding on the whole table with the Slann.
    So I'd actually say it has become more viable. Not on its own though.

Ritual likes this.
  9. Tizianolol
    Temple Guard

Tizianolol Active Member

I don't like eternal starhost , but if you can teleport 15 guards and summon a worden. I prefer run 15 guards instead of eternity starhost because with new tp ability you can play them offensively and not only defensively :)

Ritual likes this.
  10. Mune
    Skink

Mune Member

I used 30 yesterday.
    1x15 and 2x5 with 2 Skink Priests to get the 4+ dice roll rather save, a Warden, Astro and Starhost.

Was not a fun game for my enemy, he was not able to kill them, after Lord K on the Vortex killed all ranges/magic threads.

2+ reroll, immun to rend 1 and the massive dmg with 3 attacks 3/3/-1/d3, reroll hit, is just insane.

Ritual and Ecozh like this.
  11. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Guessing you did not face Tzeentz, SCE or any of the new stuff with the mortal wounds spam ?

Ritual likes this.
  12. Mune
    Skink

Mune Member

Faced nurgle yesterday, he surrendered after turn 2.
    Tabled tzeench today with the same army.
    Going to play vs aether strike later.
    Should be playing fec or stonehorns on friday.

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

basicly the moment you're not facing (a lot of reliable) mortal wounds they're horrificly effective in an eternal host. Only about 1 out of every 36 attacks will actuallt hit them (on average) and if they're allowed to stand still a singe unit of 5 already puts out an average of about 25 wounds with -1 rend. Unless the opponent has something equally ridiculously sturdy they'l win most straight up brawls easily.

Basicly the question you should be asking is "will I be able to make use of the battelion bonus damage & will I be able to protect them from (most of) the incoming mortal wounds" Which usually should be yes. Very few units/models can actually put out a lot of mortal wounds reliably, most tend to get stuck at 1-2 per turn on average at most, and most don't have infinite range. Provided you can outmanouver your enemy that is not too big an issue to handle. The only armies I wouldn't field them against pretty much regardless is a fast ranged mortal wound army or one where literally every single unit will have a decent way of getting out mortal wounds (even if its "merely" a guaranteed 1 per turn)

14. Full Metal Maggot
    Skink

Full Metal Maggot Member

I'm still rank 1 and still rocking the eternal starhost + kroak combo.

Going 15 - 0 so far in the new book. Saurus Guard are super broken as shit for a battleline unit. The eternal starhost is good. If you don't think so you need to get better at AoS (or run it in the proper list)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Ritual likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

15-0? Are none of your opponents learning from their mistakes? The combo is good, but it's by no means unbeatable. Hell, even if the combo is superiour in outright combat, its fairly bad at playing the objective, that alone should accoutn for some losses.

Ritual, Tizianolol and Killer Angel like this.
  16. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Either that or many of his opponents just don't have any means to beat that list.
    I think you can kill Ironjawz, Greenskinz or Deathrattle (I am sure there are more) with that list all day long, they don't have a reasonable chance to beat it. Everyone without a reasonable amount of mortal wounds is in a very bad spot. Especially melee only armies.

Ritual and Ecozh like this.
  17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Guards are strong, but are highly vulnerable to a certain number of things.
    They may be almost immortal or easily beatable, it really depends on the meta.
    But in tournament or a competitive enviroment, guards will not be the top dog

Ritual likes this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Who plays full deathrattle lists? They have literally 4 units and they all fullfill the same basic niche of being decentish melee fighters/tarpits. The hell kind of army is that.

Ironjawz should actually have relativly little issues with guards, weirdknob has aoe mortal wound spells and a maw crusha charging in should easily wipe out a lot of the guards, hell just the charging alone might wipe out the entire starhost if he gets Lucky. The real issue here would be kroak killing the weirdknob and maw krusha...

Greenskins have a fairly effective spell on their shaman as well given that it's another AoE. Again, kroak is more of an issue than the guards here (if it were just the guards you could simply hang back and fire spells at the guards with one or two shamans).

Only the deathrattle truly has no options out of those three. And even if the ironjawz and greenskins options are limited and their shamans can be sniped by Kroak, having that happen 15 times in a row seems a tad unlikely, also, bring more shamans. 'HE can't snipe them all :p

Buldi, Ritual, Ecozh and 1 other person like this.
  19. Meatgrinder
    Skink

Meatgrinder Member

Thats a pretty bold claim for an army so susceptible to mortal wounds. But I suppose if your meta is easy and your opponents are worse than you then a 100% win streak across 15 games is possible.

Any competent opponent will know your weaknesses and take advantage of them, I think this idea of considering people underestimating our units as an advantage is pretty dumb.

Buldi and Ritual like this.
  20. Killer Angel
    Slann

or maybe your opponent needs to get better. Because guards are strong, but it's far from impossible to successfully deal with them

Good yes, but broken? far from it.
    They don't even get any discount for the horde...

You wanna strong battleline units? Skinks, Blood Knights, Stonehorn, Varanguard...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
    Ritual, Ecozh and Seraphage like this.