1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur's Command Ability

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Draconder, Jun 20, 2017.

1. Draconder
    Saurus

Draconder Active Member

Hello all

I would like a quick reaffirmation of the Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur's command ability Ancient Warlord. It reads as follows:

"Ancient Warlord: A Saurus Oldblood is a veteran of battles without number – an experienced leader who is as inspirational to its kin as it is terrifying to the enemy. If the Saurus Oldblood uses this ability, then until your next hero phase, whenever a Saurus Hero from your army within 20" attacks in the combat phase, pick one of its weapons and add 2 to its Attacks characteristic until the end of the phase."

Now, two points I want to put forward to you all. Does this command ability effect multiple Saurus Heroes in the bubble? It says "Whenever a Saurus Hero from you army within 20'' attacks." so I get the feeling that all Saurus Heroes within 20 inches of the general get the effect as the wording doesn't limit the number effected, just those within range.

Secondly, the Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur is a Saurus Hero and the ability adds 2 attacks to one of its weapons and Carnosaur's Massive Jaws is listed under Melee Weapons. All other abilities tend to stress they do not effect the mount but there is no limit here so can the general add the 2 attacks to his carnosaur? I feel it can.

2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

All Saurus heros in the bubble can add 2 to it's attacks.

The Carnosaur cannot as it is not a Saurus Hero the rider is.

I could be wrong.

Aginor and Draconder like this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hmmmm.....I think I respectfully disagree with @Crowsfoot here.

IMO you can choose the Carnosaur's Massive Jaws.

Reasons:
    It is one warscroll, for a single model, with one set of keywords, and those attacks are listed under "melee weapons".

Abilities not meant for mounts mention that in their descriptions, such as artefacts in Battletomes or the GHB that specifically state "it cannot be a mount's weapon". That is not the case here.

Same goes for other armies, example being the "Waagh!" of a Warboss which adds +1 attack to each melee weapon of every model from a unit, which affects the hooves attack of a Gore-Grunta for example, as well as the Gore-Hacka of its rider. Although fluff-wise it doesn't make too much sense that the Gore-Grunta would go as crazy becasue of the Waagh call as its rider.

Crowsfoot and Draconder like this.
  4. Draconder
    Saurus

Draconder Active Member

I can see where you are coming from but the Carnosaur and Oldblood do share the same keywords as it is one model. I am not sure if I missed it in the rules but I cannot find anywhere that says that the mounts of cavalry and monsters have their own designated keywords.

5. Aginor
    Slann

The only cases I am aware of are war machines, those have two sets of keywords, for both the war machine itself and its crew.
    Even Warscrolls with optional wizards (like the Celestial Hurricanum) still have one line, which is just different depending on whether the wizard is there ort not. But the whole unit/model has the keyword then. Following that logic the Carnosaur would be a Saurus Hero, as weirdd as that sounds from a fluff perspective.

6. Draconder
    Saurus

Draconder Active Member

Fluff wise, I imagined it was the Oldblood’s sheer skill with his mount from being such an ancient warlord that he guides it in the middle of battle and driving it make it more effective. It is very abstract.

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I misunderstood what you were asking, I thought you were asking can you add 2 attacks to the jaws as well as another weapon carried by the rider!

Any single weapon can +2 so yes.

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Yeah I misunderstood, first DOH of today!

Aginor and Draconder like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Ah OK, yeah, the rider AND the Carnosaur would be a bit too über. :D

10. Draconder
    Saurus

Draconder Active Member

I know that the Oldblood on Carnosaur can be a bit expensive points wise IMO but having that rule clarified I have to admit it has fallen back in favour for me. Having that Oldblood on Carnosaur with a couple other saurus heroes nearby does create a wrecking ball especially when backed up with a Skink Starpriest.

11. Layken
    Skink

Layken New Member

If you take the bloodclaw starhost and bring one additional oldblood on carno you can have 2 of that command ability up at the same time. And they stack