1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Saurus; To spear or not to spear

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by FrozenLizards, Oct 17, 2008.

1. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

I was wondering what r the mettits of Saurus using hand weapons? Is the pt cost the only reason I wouldn't take spears?

2. Mordechai
    Cold One

Mordechai New Member

I do believe that saurus units with spears are usefull, I´ve maded some tests that shows me that in some situations, obviously when I was charged, that a few attacks can make the diference in who win the close combat...

The problems of the points, considering a Saurus at 12pts and spears at +2pts, an increase of 40pts per unit, is that it only worth when you are "saved" by this few extra attacks, in any other way you will have the sensation that you used this 40 point wrong (almost a skink unit of 60), and that is the problem for everyone....

I think that the saurus should cost 10pts or even 11pts with spears, needing nothing more (well maybe WS and Ld)... after all i love the model of saurus with spears.....

Because a war breed race is supposed to know/have all weapons....

by the way, what you all think about a unit of Saurus with Great Weapon ?!?! this is a good 2pts/model... a good variation for saurus units... you could have one with hand weapon, spear and shield (for basic costs) and another unit with great weapon and shield for an increase of 2pts/model....

3. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

I love this Idea! only down side si w/ a WS of 3 not sure how effective they would be. One thing I'd like to see is a unit of duel weilding Saurus w/ BS Sotek. Would kinda make up for poor WS.

4. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

Currently spears are indeed quite inefficient points wise so I would advise against getting them.

I love the idea of having every weapon option for Saurus in the new book. Hand weapons/shields (free), Spears/shields (+1 point), 2 hand weapons (+2 points), great weapons (+2 points) and halberds (+1 point) would be the options I would like to see.

5. Ninjaskink
    Cold One

Ninjaskink New Member

The only other downside to the spears is the loss of the extra +1 armor save in close combat. Considering that most generals tend to throw heavy cavalry/ elite infantry at these guys, the difference between a 4+ and a 5+ can be huge.

Plus, having hand weapons doesn't penalize you attacks because you're actually able to get a charge off. With spears, you Have to play them on defence to get their points back, and noone has ever won a battle strictly by playing defense.

6. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

I'm still new to the game and tryin to learn all the details of LM and WH. How does taking spears cost +1 AS?

7. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

When a model (not mounted) uses both a regular hand weapon and a shield he gets a 'parry' bonus, giving him an additional +1 (on top of the normal +1 from shield) to his armour save. Spears are not regular hand weapons so do not give a parry bonus.

8. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

Oh, ok WOW that helps me out. I was wondering how that worked out. TY for the help. Can't wait to break out my 2000 pt army.

9. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Not to intrude, but since your Saurus start off with Hand Weapons and keep them along with the newly bought spears, I was lead to believe the Saurus kept their Hand Weapon save because the front rank would revert to hand weapons, seeing as spears are worthless in face-to-face combat, similar to how many players have a JSoD use his hand weapon and shield for a better save, but then put those away to draw a great weapon for bashing. I may be wrong, but I thought that's how it worked.

10. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

You would be wrong, in warhammer units must all use the same weapons. However when a unit (or character for that matter) fights they may choose what weapons to use in close combat till they are in a new close combat. That means your saurus unit can choose to all use spears and shields, gaining +1A and -1AS or use hand weapon shield combo for -1A and +1AS. As for the scar vet the same applies he can choose to get +1AS using hand weapon and shield or +2S with the great weapon.