1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Saurus vs Temple Guard

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Carnivorous, Nov 17, 2011.

1. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I see your obsession with necromancy continues. Have you considered getting counselling?

2. Pofadder
    Cold One

Pofadder New Member

I agree TG is better value for points in our new book. I want to try them with a Slann and the Skavenpelt banner very soon.

Thing is saurus will probably still be in my list, because they fill core requirement, along with +- 4 -5 skink units skirmishers and or cohorts.

Because I am one of those ppl that feels Skroxigor are nigh unplayable at the moment and that limits my core selections. (I may not be subjective about that statement and will happily admit I am wrong in future if someone disproves my feeling that SW is better in core than Skrox)

As stands at moment I think ppl are trying more of our other toys in special like Rippers, Basti, Stegs with sharpened horns and CoC etc.

I am really interested to see down the line how our competitive builds will look though.

3. moonglaive
    Jungle Swarm

moonglaive New Member

SaurasW are at 11pts per model. For +3pts (as a TG) they gain:
    1) +1 WS (meh).
    2) +1 I (handy vs spells that test this, striking last,
    and if within range of the Bastiladon with a Solar Engine this means I3 total).
    3) replace spears/hand weapons for Halberds. (+1 S pretty much).
    4) have light armour, making their save 3+ (until you get into melee).
    5) gain two nifty Special Rules only useful IF they bunker a Slann in their unit.
    6) Their champion (Revered Guardian) can take magic items.
    7) They can have a magic standard.

That's quite a lot for just 3 points extra per model.
    Naturally if you aren't housing a Slann in the unit, you'll lose out on two benefits.

4. Saurian
    Skink

Saurian Member

What's the recommended number of TG for bunkering a Slann? And can that "bunker" be used as shock troops or with the Slann casting should he be staying at the back away from combat?

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

This thread is mainly about Slann-less Temple Guard, but I guess we don't have a thread talking about bunker sizes. My Slann bunkers tend to fall between 21 and 31 in a 2500 point game.

If I'm taking a defensive lore like Life or Light I gravitated towards the low end. If I'm taking Death or Metal I gravitate toward more TG. If I'm going all out with the Razor Standard or the Skavenpelt Banner I definitely want more TG than usual. It also depends on if I end up a few points above or below the points allowance. I tend to add or remove TG models before I adjust other units. As a rule of thumb, I also try to make sure my TG bunker is at least slightly larger than my HW Saurus Warrior blocks since the TG always attract more shooting and magic.