1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saurus Warrior Sculpt

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Sikeron, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

Had some time off yesterday and with a few beers at hand I continued to sculpt my lizardmen stuff...

I chopped off some bits on the backside/ neck of the head I did and made armature using wire and wooden beads. And then i started the torso area of my carnosaur... Of course, its far from being finished, lots of smoothing to do here and there, need to add tiny folds... a lot of them and of course loads of the scales...

I intend to sculpt a huge rock or brocken column the carnosaur descends... The wires for the arms and legs are not yet bent, I just kept them this way to reach the bottom/ belly area...

Any thoughts?

2. jormi_boced
    Ripperdactil

jormi_boced New Member

Looks pretty promising. I can't wait to see the final product.

3. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

just a tiny update...

took a long time to smooth the neck area and do the scales... each one sperately as well as some wrinkles... I took a shot with a 50mm base so you can imagine the scale of that beast... Like I said before I want the carnosaur to descend some rocks or maybe a brocken pillar.. Still looking for some pillars on the web....

4. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

it sure looks intimidating :D

what material is it you use for the sculpting? i am no sculptor myself and i dont know what that yellow stuff is :D

5. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

It may not be what you're looking for, but a great source of pillars is wedding supplies. They're cheap and look great once you damage them and give them a good aged paint job. You can get them in craft stores or even department stores like Wal-Mart.

6. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

Inbetween studying hard for an upcoming exam I found some time to do some more work on my carnosaur sculpt.... Like I said before I use Fimo / Fimo Mix Quick at a 50%-50% ratio so I was able to do several little steps before baking the beast again... the scales drove me nuts...

I decided to stay away from that pillar/ collum idea and right now I am thinking to sculpt a fallen tree.. Well, after the exam... Here are the pics..

7. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

looking really nasty :D

are the legs going to be as long as i think from seeing the wire, or are you going to change that?

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I tink the legs are a bit too skinny, bulk them out a bit?
    ... J/K :D

It looks really good, I'd love to see him crawling down from a pillar! Very nice work.

On the bulky saurus, good idea and well done overall. I will echo the comments that the neck is too long, the head might also need something else (if you are going to use plastic saurus heads) since it looks a bit small and skinny. Maybe a bit more neck muscle?
    Also its back could use some more scales, actually more scales on the arms and legs too. But overall, it looks pretty cool so far! Nice work.

9. Skink Skirmisher
    Skink

Skink Skirmisher New Member

really nc work! ;)

10. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

Just a little update

11. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

That looks awesome! If only I had like any idea or some kind of skill in sculpting, but alas I do not. Keep up the good work.

12. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

It's been a long time since my last posting.. I kind of lost my enthusiasm with my lizzies... I have done some castings, well about 8 to 10 Saurus warriors are ready to assemble but during a mulitple casting seesion filling 4 molds at the same time I made a mistake and while I tried to remove the casts every single mold tore apart... some minor damages to 3 molds and more damage on the last one.. I dont know what happend but the resin stuck so hard to the mold... must have been a measurement/ mixing/ whatever mistake...

But I got back one the track when I saw T`hinker`er really nice kroxigor sculpts ( which I`d really like to buy :D ) and I had to do my own.... Being a slow sculptor with little time I chose to do only one.. A unit filler maybe... any other idea? None for a long time but then I read a posting about the slann/ flying stand / falling over problems and then I knew what to do.... An ATLAS like kroxigor carring a slann incl. his throne on his back... So the kroxigor had to be bigger than a usual kroxigor...

Here are the pics..... Just the body sofar...Arms, head and throne still missing as you can see... I intend to cast the bugger... maybe someone would like one...

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/854/cimg2100k.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/89/cimg2103.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/641/cimg2102w.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/192/cimg2104f.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/839/cimg2106y.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/cimg2107c.jpg/

I am too stupid again to link the pics correctly maybe someone can fix it....

13. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

I am most honored to be mentioned in your post and happy that my work has inspired you. But best of all, really happy to see you working again!

Love the Atlas Krox so far - do you have a concept drawing so we can see what the end result is supposed to be? Keep up the good work! :D

14. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

Use the pic button instead of the Img button.

I love your stuff except the saurus, I think he should be more hunched over implying forward momentum and raptor movement. Except for that one opinion, your carnasaur and atlas krox are amazing. I was wondering where you would have room for kroxigors in your army after making your saurus so bulky, and there I think you really did make an improvement over GW. The fluff for krox is that they're made to carry building sized stones back and forth, and yours really sells the concept.

15. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

@ T`hinker`er : No, I havent done a concept drawing for this sculpt. I did a google picture search "atlas" to get the feel for the posing... And I am still thinking about the head design... Not decided yet what it should look like... I dont want to do the GW style head... Maybe a Godzilla like head...

Any suggestions? Any ornaments/ jewellery/ etc. to the body? Smale metall armour plates?

@ brokbrok: Glad you like the atlas croc sofar.... I am more than open for suggestions what to do next with that beast...

16. Cyber Mummy
    Skink

Cyber Mummy New Member

Please enlighten me. How do you do those moulds? First you sculpt model, then you put it inside some plaster or similar? Then you have ready mould? Please tell me how it is done. I have been wondering wether I should try to learn sculpt myself. It surely is awesome to create your own sculpted and painted army.

Please if someone can give me precise directions how to do moulds, and sculpts, and which materials should I use etc. :D That Carnosaurs position and middle body and that Kroxigor were so awesome that I certainly would like to do something myself.

17. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Molds are made from room temperature vulcanizing silicone. Usually two part resin is poured into the cavity to make copies. There are mountains of info on this, but this isn't really the best place to go into all of it, nor would I want to reinvent the wheel... Google is your friend, as are the folks at http://www.sculpt.com/

18. Cyber Mummy
    Skink

Cyber Mummy New Member

Thanks. Ill try to find something.

19. Sikeron
    Skink

Sikeron Member

20. brokbrok
    Cold One

brokbrok New Member

I'd get his mouth protruding more. The head makes him look more like an ogre with an overbite, or daffy after his beak surgery.

4fe6efc2-3e92-4d70-a6cd-9b997ca5d39c.jpg