1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Scaly Space Angels, back in action (Seraphon plog with occasional special guests)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Kitbash, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Kitbash
    Skink

Kitbash Member

Edit: Updated

Fluff aim:
    I want this army to represent the memories/remade forms of a bunch of the toughest, bravest Lizards from the world that was. Things I want to play up are uplifting/ascension to demi-godhood, celestial/spacey imagery, things like the Slann's throne and Engine of the gods having this look of 'magi-tech', like almost sci-fi but obviously still made from stone and metal.
    Their Stormcast buddies, if included, will have heavy theming around lightning and thunderclouds, contrasting the brighter colours of the lizards, and drawing heavily upon influence from the presentation of the Angels in the Diablo game series.

Crunch aim: Absolute tank army with some tasty magic to back it up)

Inspiration and reference folders:

https://uk.pinterest.com/squikinky/wargaming-inspiration-lizardmen/
    https://uk.pinterest.com/squikinky/wargaming-inspiration-stormcast-eternals/

List (with conversion notes):

Slann Starmaster: This is going to be a biggy. I want my slann to be a newborn: looking like an axolotl, with those frilly gills and sort of foetal, floating. I want it to look very ethereal and graceful. Lots of magitech craziness going on with the throne too.
    Looking at using a lot of necron, tau and/or eldar bits in line with the Stegadon's EotG arm.

Saurus Sunblood (aka. 'Big Momma'): Using the Dracoth from the Stormcast Lord Celestant model as a base (yeah, she is gonna be huge) this is going to be one big hacked-off lizard.

Skink Starseer/Starpriest: His cloak of feathers and flying ability will be rather literal: like a feathered dinosaur/archaeopteryx with super colourful plumage. Looking at making him magnetised or pinned so he can be put onto a floating palanquin to make him a Seer. Using similar bits to the Slann palanquin, possibly more stone and shrine-like, usig bits from the Luminark/Hurricanum kit to make it like an orrery.

Saurus Guard: Assembled as is, possibly with some poking around of the shields. Bone armour will be painted like obsidian/fossilised bone. Alpha, Icon Bearer and Drummer to have standard conversion for saurus (doubled up super-icon and big dewlap throat on bearer, cold one tail on Alpha and bulked up armour, huge open mouth/froggy throat sac on the drummer)

20 Saurus Warriors with clubs: Command converted as above.

Saurus Knights: Cold Ones swapped for Dark Elf Cold Ones. Command Converted as above.

3 Kroxigor: Converted from extensive 10 year plus bits box and the Cold Ones not used in making the Knights. Heavily inspired by the Total War iteration, so using ogres as a base, some tyranid warrior bits in the mix.

Skinks with javelins. Assembled as is, possibly some conversion on Alpha. These are going to be very different in colour scheme: very pale, bright red crests. Basically reptile versions of the Warboys from Fury Road.

Stegadon /Engine of the Gods.
    This lad is going to be the centrepiece: one of these beasties uplifted, walking on it's hind legs, crazy skink warboys hanging off of him, with the EotG mounted as a massive golden magitech-looking gauntlet, or between the Steg's horns/on his crest for the EotG.

So yeah, that's the plan, pics as things develop, as well as my Deadzone/Warmahordes bits.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  2. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Inspiring stuff so far, you got any pics of past work?

Bowser likes this.
  3. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

wow that is some motivating projects you have there nice that you have a plane before starting (I wing it with what ever im in the mood for ) but really looking forward to see your sunblood im currently working on one using manly the crappy cold ones and various bit from other things

Bowser likes this.
  4. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

What is this, a jobinterview? :p

Crowsfoot likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

This is amazing! I really like the thought you put into it, and can't wait to see your mods! I thought you were going to go sugar skulls on the Guard! But your idea is better. I really like the magitech idea. So brilliant. I almost want to do a fan fic already!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016
    Kitbash, Crowsfoot and Bracnos like this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Crunch wise Starseer would be the way to go for curse of fates. Plus another magitech palanquin would be awesome, or plan for both the priest and the starseer.

Kitbash and Crowsfoot like this.
  7. Janf
    Chameleon Skink

Janf Well-Known Member

Wow you have some great ideas here! I'm really hyped to see some pictures of your projects eventually :)

Bowser likes this.
  8. Stefblo
    Saurus

Stefblo Active Member

Looks like very inspiring project. Post some pictures soon! :)

Bowser likes this.
  9. Kitbash
    Skink

Kitbash Member

Thanks so much for all the positive comments and support, guys. Had a spanner thrown in the works with being laid off work just before my wedding, so things are -very- much like juggling chainsaws right now, so will update ASAP.

Bowser and SlanntaClause like this.
  10. Kitbash
    Skink

Kitbash Member

Quick update as far as ideas for colourscheme goes (wanted to run it by folks before I go buying anything because goddamn I'm poor and can't afford to buy the wrong stuff):

Purple/ pale chromatic grey for saurus bros (mottled lighter underside, darker flanks, with even darker back scales) All gold bits super shiney, working up from deep warm bronze to silver at last highlight, weapons made to look like obsidian with black, inks, minimal linear highlights and gloss (same on armour for TGs), all Stardrake shields to be black iridescent with spacey/nebula stippling of purple/blue and dark inks, a few spots to suggest stars.

Skinks with Rakarth Flesh only, and crests in Carroburg Crimson.

Retributor Armour (metal)
    Naggaroth Night (Scales)
    Rakarth Flesh (Skin)
    Druchii Violet (shade/blotching)
    Carroburg Crimson (?) For skinks

Bowser likes this.
  11. Kitbash
    Skink

Kitbash Member

Hey there all. Not very slann-approved magic, but time for some thread necromancy.

Finally back on an even-ish kilter after a long time, or at least good enough I have time and energy to spare on some modelmaking again.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's current progress on the uplifted Steg with Engine of the Gods.
    Here's some detail shots on his magitech arm in progress and my fave skink doing his best Fury Road audition.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also here's current progress on Big Momma lizard. Might have gone slightly crazy on her ^^
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

They're cool. Hope to see more

13. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

They're awesome! Absolutely amazing!

14. Kitbash
    Skink

Kitbash Member

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Wow, interesting conversions, very unique!

16. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

WOOT @Kitbash living to your name nice work!

Lord-Marcus likes this.
  17. Kitbash
    Skink

Kitbash Member

Thanks guys. Got a few days off so gonna try and get some painting done! Got a bit of greenstuffing to do on my saurus tomorrow so will see how that goes.

18. Kitbash
    Skink

Kitbash Member

Here's my Saurus regiment. All trimmed and ready to go... except that for some reason Past Kitbash (my sworn enemy, curse his name!) Saw fit to fashion them with square bases. Thankfully got some new roundies on the way.
    [​IMG]
    Pretty happy with the command posing and conversion so far. Greenstuffing has had to be delayed due to awful gross skin allergy Stegcrap.
    Standard bearer is gonna have a dewlap added (hence the up tilted head) and the musician, is gonna have big ol froggy throat pouch. Obvious blending is needed on the Veteran's bigboy tail.

Here's some of my other non-Seraphon diversions I'm working on:
    Deadzone/Warpath (Mantic) Plague
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Warmahordes Circle Orboros (codename: Warpwoofs)
    [​IMG]

and my Everblight lot, with painting examples, shock horror! (Bases WIP, expect snow.)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What is it about cameras making your painting look like absolute rubbish?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hopefully finally got back to @Crowsfoot on thier request for some examples of past work without embarrassing myself.
    C and C welcomed heartily.

19. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Those are some crazy conversions (and a ton of painting to do! :eek::wideyed::artist:) Good luck!

20. Kitbash
    Skink

Kitbash Member

Thanks bud. It's a big old slog to get through, and I really should paint as I go more. Live and learn I guess.
    I get seriously bad skin allergies on my hands that seem to flare up even worse around anything hobby related (natch) which means I tend to have to take long periods of careful planning and buildup, go full ham for a week or two, then take a month or two out for my hands to recover (hence my glacial pace, thanks for sticking with me, you lot!)

Warden likes this.