1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Secondary Army

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nuradin, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Nuradin
    Skink

Nuradin New Member

This is a discussion I would love to have :D

With Seraphon as your primary army and you had to pick a secondary army, what secondary army would you pick and why?

I will ofcourse answer this question myself in this thread when I get the time and opportunity :)

Ritual and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Personally I like an order army, picking just one I use Collegiate arcane. But Stormcast or Sylvaneth would be good as well. Kinda looking forward to the new dwarfs. But, Seraphon is my main, I usually branch out to an order general army. A little from a few different factions.

Seraphage and Ritual like this.
  3. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I'm going with Collegiate Arcane and Fyreslayers, I've got a list that includes the two of them and now I'm working on mixing them into Seraphon, both as 1&1 and as a trio.

Collegiate Arcane bring magical long range mortal wounds to any Order army.

Fyreslayers look rad.

InfamousBeany, Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  4. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Well I loved dwarves since day one. Old wood elves as well ( Sylvaneth are awesome but I tend to avoid playing armies used too much ! )

So I am thinking that at some point I ll either go for dwarves or play something completely different and go for Undead with Skeletons !

Can't really decide yet. One thing I know for sure :
    I 'm really into our army :rolleyes:

Bowser and Ritual like this.
  5. Nuradin
    Skink

Nuradin New Member

I have also always loved dwarves, and they have been my primary race in Total War: Warhammer. However, for some reason, I dont really feel like playing them here cause the models don't speak to me. I wish and hope that the new race will speak to me more.

Atm I am looking at Stormcast Eternals cause their models are so amazingly good looking! And I like how few models can cause damage. Somehow the armies that speak to me all seem to be in the order faction. But my god, those Stormcast Eternals... mmm, I would love to get my hands on some of those!

Bowser, Ritual and Seraphage like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I picked Death (Deathrattle mainly) just a few days ago. Because of style I guess, they are as much competitive as Seraphon right now (which means hardly at all). Just wanted something really different.

Bowser and Ritual like this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Bretonnians

:vulcan:

I like the Lizardmen (haven't transitioned in my mind yet), and Bretonnians are my second army. Love the medieval knights motif, and I want to make lots more dirty peasants too.

InfamousBeany and Bowser like this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I have Aelfs and some other order units, I was concidering Stormcast but having played against them I don't feel they add much to a Seraphon army so will skip them.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Nice question!
    I have always been a lizardmen/seraphon "purist"... << Seraphon, or nothing! >> :D
    But if I imagined GW had never made the Lizardmen range, my answer to your question would be:
    - Chaos demons (in order from favourite to least favourite: Khorne, Tzeentch, Nurgle, Slaneesh)
    They are a lot, they differ a lot from each other, they are nasty, disturbing, violent monstruosities.
    So yeah, nice stuff. :joyful:
    Since in a fantasy game what I look for is something different from standard humans, Deamons sound like the right choice (after Seraphon, of course :)).
    - Death faction
    Although I'm not a big fun of thousands of identical skeleton on the battlefield or Death's troups in general, I admit there're some incredible models I force me not to buy.
    Mortis Engine, Terrorgheist, Wargheists, Spirit Hosts, Vampire Lord, Wight King, Cairn Wraith (but also lots of things from the "old" Tomb Kings range)... They are all amazing.

P.S. To me, when choosing an army, my choice is based
    - 85% on the look of the models
    - 5% on the style of gameplay
    - 10% on the price of the miniatures of that race
    - 0% on the lore of it
    :D

What about you?

Warden, Ritual and Bowser like this.
  10. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I think for me it's 90% looks and 10% functionality!

You're going to spend many hours painting these guys, you better like the look of them!

11. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Similar here.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Exactly.
    That's also the reason why I like armies with lots of variety in them (Seraphon are the masters, in it):
    races like, let's say, ironjaws may have beautiful models, but they lack in differentiation in my opinion, and it tends to make them a little bit boring.

Ritual, Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  13. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

I consider fyreslayers an even better example. The army as if is right now seems like a naked orange thingie on the tabletop :p

DeadlyRecluse, Ritual and Bowser like this.
  14. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

They can have variation, they're not all orange! But all their infantry looks the same it's very true... Magmadroth still a good reason to field them though!

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  15. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

You're right, @Seraphage , and this is why it would be nice to see some other new Fyreslayer models from GW, but I'm afraid it will take quite a bit before we'll see addictions to the naked orange thingie!

I once had the idea to start collecting High Elves, but it never really happened...
    Maybe it was the best thing to do, seeing how GW has handled them from the release of AoS! :(

Seraphage, Bowser and Ritual like this.
  16. Nuradin
    Skink

Nuradin New Member

For me it's about 70% Looks, 20% if I'm able to paint them (my painting skills are severely lacking, so I want the figures to feel like they have received a good paint job even though they haven't) and 10% functionality :D

The able to paint them pretty much removes Sylvaneth from the equation, even though I really like that race. There would have to be too much color blending for them to look really good. With Seraphon you can just basecoat, put on a wash and then drybrush the scales! You can highlight to make them look really good, but from what I've done I think they pass as "looks pretty good", which is enough for me atm :D

Freddy25 and Ritual like this.
  17. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

I do like Elves, the wife is slowly becoming tempted to start playing and she loves high fantasy style things, so thinking an oldhammer Wanderers army might be on the cards at some point for m... erm, I mean, her...

Freddy25, Seraphage and Crowsfoot like this.
  18. Ritual
    Skar-Veteran

Ritual Well-Known Member

Sylvaneth are super easy to paint quickly and make them look good, pretty much the same as you said - basecoat, wash, drybrush... Job done!

Skorp likes this.
  19. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Wood elves were my second love back in the 80ies, I have a few now and love them and they go well with my Seraphon so win win..

Seraphage and Ritual like this.
  20. skipperyoss
    Cold One

skipperyoss Active Member

went with khorne daemons so I could play 40k too.

ended up buying grey knights anyway so that was a waste

Bowser likes this.