1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Seraphon Army Ideas (new player)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by baby_stega, Jul 17, 2016.

1. baby_stega
    Jungle Swarm

baby_stega New Member

Hi guys, I'm another new player starting Seraphon. I've read the rules but I haven't actually played a game of Age of Sigmar yet. I've built this list using models that I like (I wanted to fit the carnosaur and the stegadon into the army).

So here's the list (1000 points):

Firelance Starhost - 60
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur - 260
    5x Saurus Knights - 120
    5x Saurus Knights - 120
    5x Saurus Knights - 120

Salamander - 60
    Stegadon - 260

The salamander is just in there to fill out the last 60 points, but would a razordon be better instead?

I've then thought of two more "chunks" of 500 points to increase the army to 1500 and 2000.

+ Stegadon - 260
    + Skink Starpriest - 100
    + 3x Terradon Riders - 140

Or

+ Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - 320
    + Skink Starpriest - 100
    + 3x Terradon Riders - 140
    - Salamander

The army doesn't really have much synergy or combos but it has some big stompy dinos, and a whole bunch of smaller ones. Would this army be viable? I'm not really concerned about being super competitive but I'd still like to be able to hold my own. I'd really appreciate any suggestions. I currently have the start collecting box, an extra box of knights and an old stegadon so I want to use those units, but any advice on how to build up my force would be very helpful.

dwarfepic and Bowser like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

List looks good, at 1000 points you have no magic though so make your attacks and shooting count. At 1500 I would replace the second steg with skinks and take the Shadowstrike starhost, and at 2000 put in your second Carno. A few more salamanders and handlers.

3. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Hi @baby_stega !
    Nice list, I like it very much: I would be scared to fight against 2 giant dinosaurs at 1000 pts!
    What stagadon weapon are you planning to use? Sunfire throwers or Skystreak bow?
    I'd suggest the second one to provide a little more shooting to your army.

Thinking about to expand this list to 1500 and then 2000, to me you are right planning to add some magic by Starpriest(s):
    their Serpent Staff ability also is a good boost for your Knights.

I don't think you will be able to field the Shadowstrike Starhost at 1500 pts without modifying your initial 1000 pts:
    formation is 120
    priest is 100
    terradons are 140
    You'd have only 140 pts left and you should add 2 units of Skinks, but the least expensive is 80 pts!
    What about using instead of the formation some Chameleons and another Skink leader?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
    Bowser likes this.
  4. dwarfepic
    Chameleon Skink

dwarfepic Active Member

in my opinion, you need to beef out at least one of your saurus knight units to a unit of ten to realy get the hitting power needed for a 1500 or 2000 point game. big units of ten or fifteen black orks or chaos warriors will be leathal to you. morghast harbringer will tear into your carnosaur or stegadon easily. this army I think would also need something to give the stegos re rolls to hit if they have skystreak bows, greatly improving accuracy. but, I think this is good starter list. the skink strapriest is definitely a good idea, as it can realy help your survivability, and hitting power. with more suarus knights instead of salamanders, you will have a very good list. as a general note, skinks handlers are must have if you want salamanders or razordons. you don't realy need the ranged power they have, as you have already got ranged power with stegadons.

Bowser likes this.
  5. baby_stega
    Jungle Swarm

baby_stega New Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still figuring out a list for 2000 points, but I've thought up another 1000 point list.

Firelance Starhost - 60
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One - 100
    5x Saurus Knights - 120
    5x Saurus Knights - 120
    5x Saurus Knights - 120

Troglodon - 200
    Stegadon - 260

980 total

Still no magic but I can use the troglodon to unbind. I wanted to still have 2 big dinos in the list. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Bowser and Freddy25 like this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Looks ok but your Trog won't live long and then you have no unbind, I would look for a way to fit in something that can give you support, mystic shield can make a big difference.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

Wow, I like it! Every model is a dino with some sort of rider, either a knight or a crew! Nice!
    Yeah, it could be risky to leave behind magic, but this list could be REAL fun...
    If you want, you can take a look at this link: it's a list I made some days ago which uses the Firelance Starhost too.
    http://lustria-online.com/threads/1st-attempt-1000-pts-generals-handbook.18146/#post-165399

I really like your list, but if you want you could think of mixing these two together to find the perfect balance between
    "big dinos attack!!!" (yours) and "a little of everything should work" (mine) :joyful:

tom ndege, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  8. baby_stega
    Jungle Swarm

baby_stega New Member

OK, another update for the list. I've dropped the stegadon and replaced it with a skink starpriest and terradon riders.

Firelance Starhost - 60
    Saurus Scar Veteran on Cold One - 100
    5x Saurus Knights - 120
    5x Saurus Knights - 120
    5x Saurus Knights - 120

Skink Starpriest - 100
    Troglodon - 200
    Terradon Riders - 140

Total = 960

Would this list be better than the previous one?

Bowser likes this.
  9. dwarfepic
    Chameleon Skink

dwarfepic Active Member

I honestly do not think that the troglodon is worth it. you can unbind with the starpriest, and you have no slann to use it for arcane vassal. I would replace it with 2 sallies and 2 units of skink handlers. the second unit of handlers are just to fill in points.

Bowser likes this.
  10. baby_stega
    Jungle Swarm

baby_stega New Member

I have updated the lists and would like some feedback.

1000 points:
    Skink Starpriest - 100
    5x Chameleon Skinks - 120
    Firelance Starhost - 60
    - Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One - 100
    - 3x5 Saurus Knights - 360

1500 points:
    2x Skink Starpriest - 200
    3x Terradon Riders - 140
    Stegadon - 260
    Firelance Starhost - 60

2000 points:
    Skink Starpriest - 100
    2x Stegadons - 520
    Firelance Starhost - 60
    Shadowstrike Starhost - 120
    - Skink Starpriest - 100
    - 2x5 Chameleon Skinks - 240
    - 3x Terradon Riders - 140

The saurus knights will (obviously) be equipped with lances. Stegadons will both have skystreak bows, and the terradons will have sunleech bolas. I'm not sure how to equip the scar-vet on the carno though, I am leaning towards the spear. The scar-vet on cold one will probably be the army's general as I think his command ability would be more useful than the scar-vet on the carno.

I really appreciate all of the replies. I've changed the lists to eventually build up to include the shadowstrike starhost. I like these lists because I've managed to fit in all the models I wanted to (my aim at 2000 points is to have 3 big dinos). I haven't added additional knights though - is this a bad idea? I do realise that the army does not have a lot of models. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Bowser likes this.
  11. dwarfepic
    Chameleon Skink

dwarfepic Active Member

i like the way this army is going, however the chameleon skinks are not really needed and can be replaced by normal skinks to save points and add in something for the spare points. maybe bulking one skink unit out to 20 models. if you keep the skinks near the stegos, then battle shock will be less of an issue, and if you have a skink alpha then you can buff the skinks a lot. in this scenario more is better as you have an already low model count.

As for the rest of the list, it looks good, though maybe a bit thin on saurus knights. This list is coming along very well!

Bowser likes this.
  12. baby_stega
    Jungle Swarm

baby_stega New Member

Do I need to drop the skystreak bow to have the alpha? The warscroll is unclear to me (the unit descriptions for AoS in general for me are pretty confusing), but it seems like I can have the skink alpha and the bow. I was just thinking that if I have the alpha, I can use each one to buff the other stegadon, getting me extra movement and re-rolls of 1 for the skystreak bow. Seems like a neat little boost to me.

Bowser, dwarfepic and Killer Angel like this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I don't see anything that suggests you cannot have both. So go for it! ;)

Bowser and dwarfepic like this.
  14. baby_stega
    Jungle Swarm

baby_stega New Member

So after getting my copy of the General's Handbook and reading through the 6 Battleplans for pitched battles, I've decided to change the army once again. I noticed that to capture objectives, you must have more models closer to the objective than your opponent. I figured that my list wouldn't really perform well in these missions as it is quite low on models. So this is what I have for 2000 points:

Skink Starpriest - 100
    Skink Starpriest - 100
    3x Terradon Riders - 140
    Stegadon - 260

Firelance Starhost - 60
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One - 100
    5x Saurus Knights - 120
    5x Saurus Knights - 120
    5x Saurus Knights - 120

Sunclaw Starhost - 80
    Saurus Sunblood - 120
    10x Saurus Warriors - 100

I've dropped a unit of Chameleon Skinks (and the Shadowstrike Starhost) and a Stegadon and added the Sunclaw Starhost. Hopefully 30 Saurus Warriors will be more helpful for trying to secure objectives. The idea for the army is that the Knights go and attack objectives in enemy territory while the Warriors try to hold objectives in my territory. The Chameleon Skinks and Terradons are mobile enough to lend support where they need to. The Stegadon will probably stay back with the warriors, while the Carnosaur will go rampaging. This army also allows me to take the Order allegiance, so I get to use the allegiance abilities. I also have 2 battalions, so each of the Saurus heroes gets an artifact.

I'm not really sure who the general should be, but I think it will be either the Sunblood or the Scar-Veteran on Cold One. Also, would the Warriors be better with clubs or spears? Would this army be better or worse than the one I posted previously? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Clubs and spears. Ignore -1 rend is big.
    Scar vet on cold one. All saurus units within 8 inches reroll, as opposed to vs. one enemy.