1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Seraphon Battletome

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Snoopdeville3, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Snoopdeville3 Well-Known Member

Hey guys I am not sure if I should pick up the battletome or wait for the order book to come out with all the other battletomes included. I much rather have the book that has multiple tomes, I just dont know if they list all the special formations as well.... does anyone know?

Thanks!

2. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

The point of the battletomes really aren't the battalions, you can get the battalions on your Warscroll app. The battletomes are more geared towards artwork and lore. If you're a lore junkie like me then I'd recommend it a lot (as well as the Realmgate Wars books because LOOOOOORRRREEEEEE) but if you're just into the gameplay then they're not necessary, the app is all you need.

3. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

I just like having a book rather then carrying around a tablet at my friends house. Sorry do you know if theres any difference?

4. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

besides the lore portion.

5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The app has all the warscrolls and battalions but it can be a pain to use as your constantly flicking back and forth, I know you do the same with the book but it is easier in my view.

All scrolls are the same and just the lore and pictures is the difference.

6. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Got it thanks.

7. WoollyMammoth
    Skink

WoollyMammoth Member

The battletome replaces the "lizardmen" scroll collection from AoS launch. A few things got left behind and are still in a "lizardmen" section on the app, while some named chars got renamed to 'generic' chars while keeping the same rules.

I think they were just excited about the concept of reinventing the lizardmen as "good daemons" (and securing the IP of "Seraphon") so they got the tome out early. As is with all the battletomes, they are filled with lore based around a subject, this one being the Seraphon and as such, working similar to an Army Book. Many were upset there were no model releases, but in contrast to most of the 'small' faction armies they are making, the seraphon already have a very good range of models.

Technically you can get the battalion scrolls on the app but you have to pay $2 apiece for them (total of $12). I don't think there are Time of War or Battleplan rules in this one.

Does anyone have a review of the book?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    Bainbow likes this.
  8. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Your self-promotion is showing again, ratman.

And what kind of review do you mean? A description or a comment on quality?

9. WoollyMammoth
    Skink

WoollyMammoth Member

dammit. I'm losing my mind! i fixed it

I guess an opinion of how the lore is, if its cool fluffy fluff - and if its generally overall worth the price tag.

I'll replace my pic with a lizardman soon enough lol

Freddy25 likes this.
  10. Jamie Searle
    Saurus

Jamie Searle Member

11. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Honestly I think it depends on you, not the book. It was worth it for me because I adored the lore and was very hungry for more information, and was a real sucker for the cool art. Ultimately only you really know if it's something worth buying.

12. WoollyMammoth
    Skink

WoollyMammoth Member

Seems pretty cool. I get the gist of the lore; they are now celestial beings from Azyr. I really loved the old lore though, ancient civilization, blessed by the old ones. Their hatred for chaos has apparently strengthened over the millennium. The aztec theme doesn't really make a whole lot of sense anymore, other than the fact that the Seraphon are just 'recovered' from the aftermath of the End Times. A lot of people get upset about the 'death' of the old lore but, it didn't technically die, we just jumped ahead a few ages into the future and history is now super ancient history.

The only issue is that I would like the book, but I NEED more Seraphon models lol. I'll def pick it up eventually.

13. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I made the mistake of listening to the Garagehammer review of the Seraphon book before I read it myself (I love Garagehammer!), so I think some of their negative points influenced my opinion of it a bit. That said, they're pretty fair in their assessment and give praise where it's due. After a few re-reads and seeing other board members points of view I'm far more happy with it than my initial opinion.

I'd recommend it over using the PDF if only for the fact it has the current names for units and none of the Special Character confusion that seemed to be prevalent when the PDF was released. I also like all the updated batallions and the super-batallion, it really gives me a structure to aim for with my army (which traditionally I don't have and my armies look like a mess of random models)

There's no Skink Chief or Jungle Swarms in it though, so if you use them you'll want the PDF handy as well.

Jamie Searle likes this.
  14. WoollyMammoth
    Skink

WoollyMammoth Member

All that stuff is in the app, except you have to pay for the battleplans and battalions.

15. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Yes I mentioned it in my comments that I dont liek suing a tablet playing warhammer. I play at friends houses and the last thing i need is to drop /forget it carrying all my stuff around.

16. WoollyMammoth
    Skink

WoollyMammoth Member

I use an iphone. I keep it in a good case with a screen protector. I def won't forget it. Regardless, the scrolls are all available on the website as well. you can easily print them. Having them organized for you is nice but for that price its a bit of a luxury, not a necessity.

17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I use the app for scenery scrolls and have all the warscrolls printed and laminated for my armies, I keep them in a plastic folder and just bring out the scrolls for the units were using (yes I'm a sado)

n810 and Bowser like this.
  18. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Yes i have the app on my phone to but paper is much faster especially if you make short cuts and just print the stuff that you are using. I look at pc screens enough at work its nice to let go electronics for a few hours while i play the game.

19. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I think Crowsfoot's idea is great, and it's one of the things that really appeals to me with AoS. I can print off the PDF of the main rules, and the individual units. Then when I play I just grab the scrolls for the units I'm using and it immensely cuts down on the amount of paper I have to sift through for rules.

I play Chaos Space Marines for 40k and I have a Codex, a supplement, 2 or 3 Dataslates for formations, and the Rulebook. Gods forbid I decide to start summoning (which I will, since my lovely wife bought me some Plaguebearers for Chistmas last year) then I need the Daemons Codex. I stopped using fortifications on the principle that I now need the Stronghold Assault book for the rules. Aint nobody got time for that!

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  20. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

I want to get into 40k but this right here's what's stopping me. AoS has spoiled me with its free downloadable rules, I should have gotten into it back in 8th ...