1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Seraphon playing on top tables of South Coast GT

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Jason839, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

Rd 5 coverage against Chaos Live on Twitch.tv here https://www.twitch.tv/warhammer

Seraphon player is using Kroak!

The List that Ive been able to gather so far

Allegiance: Order
    Lord Kroak
    Saurus Eternity Warden
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer
    Skink Priest
    Skink Starseer
    10 x Skinks
    10 x Skinks
    5 x Saurus Guard
    9 x Ripperdactyl Riders
    Shadowstrike Starhost
    Balewind Vortex

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Wazz, Crowsfoot, n810 and 2 others like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

9 rippers is devastating. must be a really good player, though that balewind is always a fun one!

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Kroak + Astrolith Bearer + Balewind is a mean combo, and a Shadowstrike with 9 Rippers sounds like a heavy Alphastrike. If he gets initiative in the first round there is going to be a lot of damage incoming!

Bowser likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Btw, is Kroak's Celestial Deliverance subject to the Rules of One? I'd say it is. Which sucks...

Bowser likes this.
  5. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Yep, it is. I wouldn't play this list currently, a big glass cannon that is easily countered, but if played right could go off perfectly and table someone.

6. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

Rob was saying on the commentary that the list was using the Rippers to force opponents to castle up and then using Kroak to punch holes in their defences while the skinks scored. The extra damage Kroak gets vs Chaos daemons is really good if the meta is full of Skyfire spam.

My internet went AWOL this afternoon so I do not know what the turning point in game 5 was, sort of looked like the gambit of going first went wrong when the charge distance on the Rippers was poor and then Alex got the double-turn straight away with his mixed chaos shooting army.

[edit] Quick look at the replay and the charge falling shorter than he wanted even with the re-roll was huge. Then he was exposed due to not positioning a couple of models more defensively to block/avoid potential realm-gate movement. Much discussion of vertical distance measuring, which I think is house-ruled differently to most other tournaments and that put the stormfiends in range of Kroak.
    Close game, narrow margins of decision making and dice-rolling. A surprising Seraphon list nearly took the tournament.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  7. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

I think it already passed, but I have to pay to watch the previous videos. Does anyone know where else I can watch that match?

Bowser likes this.
  8. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

So far as I know you have to be subscribed to watch back after the live stream has finished.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

Mark Sinosich Active Member

Yes. 1" more and the game would have been different. The Rippers caused the Bloodletters to take 49 saves. Things would have also been different if Kroak moved up a few more inches to block the realm-gate or the realm-gate did not randomly drop the Stormfiends right infront of Kroak.

The Stormfiends rolled a lucky random realm-gate right near Lord Kroak. The Eternity Warden was poorly placed no where near close enough to absorb some wounds for Kroak.

They use a vertical cylinder approach. The Stormfiends were OUT of 6" if the measurement was base to base but the house rule was to draw a cylinder around the base, measuring then from head height of the Stormfiends to the base of Kroak, which was then in 6". Kroak took 15 wounds.

Tokek, Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  10. Meatgrinder
    Skink

Meatgrinder Member

Does anyone know why the eternity warden was hiding in the ruins on its own? I couldnt figure it out. Why would you take one other than to eat wounds in that kind of list?

TBH as they said on stream, it would have been different if his skink priest was standing between the gate and kroak, he would have blocked the fiends.

Bowser likes this.
  11. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

The tournaments at my locals do not roll for terrain abilities and do not have special terrain other than the ones you pay points for like the bale wind and the sylvaneth forests. Watching the games made me glad we don't. It's hard enough playing the game well without worrying about random terrain rolls messing your day up. Watching the storm fiends luck into the right warpgate was brutal.

Bowser likes this.
  12. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

I am assuming he was worried about being sniped. No enemies had LOS to him. Maybe he was blocking another realm-gate?

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  13. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Aaaaargh your comments make me wanna watch it badly ! Gotta subscribe sometime soon !

Bowser likes this.
  14. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

I would love to know the thinking behind that Eternity Warden. Once Kroak is up on the Balewind Vortex he will always be out of range for dumping wounds onto the Warden - at which point he seems pretty dispensable so I am not sure I understand why he was hidden out of sight.

Not that I am criticizing, clearly they guy is a better player than me :)

Bowser likes this.
  15. noaizumi
    Skink

noaizumi New Member

If using the vertical cylinder approach, could the eternity warden been close enough to soak wounds with his 2 inch ability? I'm not entirely sure on the dimensions of the balewind..

Bowser likes this.
  16. darren watson
    Kroxigor

darren watson Well-Known Member

Yup, that's why he wasn't near Kroak as he's only useful while Kroak is on the ground.
    To be honest I didn't get use the Eternity Warden's ability once in the whole tournament , would have been better off with another Astrolith as I believe their range ability stacks? But I didn't want to be full on cheesy. However. . If I'd of known the top tables were all Sky Fire lists with 12-27 sky fires I would have done that.
    I think the list can be improved by dropping the Warden, 3 Rippers and the Saurus Guard and including 10 skinks and a Bastiladon you nudge 3 inches forward with the Vortex to get his shooting attack in range.
    I tried my best to get lizards the appreciation they deserve, but good grief its difficult against all those Chaos Sky Fires and Storm Fiends.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
    deer riffs, Shawry, Bowser and 3 others like this.
  17. darren watson
    Kroxigor

I knew I was going first and once on he vortex you can't use his ability. He was hidden to be forgotten about and run over to one of the realm gates for points later on in the game.
    I think with decent deployment he isn't needed, the only practice game I lost was when Kroak died first turn, without Kroak it's pretty much over, so I decided on taking him as insurance against armies that go before me (net list destruction with rukk and tusks, Hammerstrike lists with 6 plus Prosecuters etc).
    Turns out he was a waste in the end.

18. darren watson
    Kroxigor

Bowser and Aginor like this.
  19. Mark Sinosich
    Cold One

No need to be sorry! Great work on playing well in the tournament. I certainly appreciate your comments above. Thank you. :)

Bowser likes this.
  20. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

An insurance policy you turned out not to need then.

Thanks for the info and well done on going so close with a list of your own devising. Well played.

Bowser likes this.