1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Seraphon vs Darkling Covens

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Audvin, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

Does anyone have any experience fighting Darkling Covens. One of my main opponents have started building a Darkling Covens army and I'm trying to figure out what to build against him. He has alot of missile weapons and sorceresses.

Currently I have the SC box with Carno, Astrolith conversion and Skink Oracle as Priest. I also have about 48 5th edition skinks and 30 5th edition saurus warriors and a 6th edition Stegadon. I will obviously buy more units in the future, but that's what I have atm.

2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

What type of play (matched, narrative, ect) do you plan to engage in? If matched play, what amount of MPP vaule? Are you playing with any list restriction and/or taxes?

Seraphon are a top tier army in competitive matched play. We are a bit mid to bottom tier in any other environment. Seraphon have a hard time working in a toe-to-toe just murder the other army scenario. Our only viable strategies in these types of games is to spam Engines of the Gods, run a Slann, and a Saurus Astrolith Bearer and just hope we out summon and grind down the enemy before they kill off the things that let us summon.

Versus Darkiling Covens, these are my recommendations. Kill any Darklings General ASAP. His is a walking buff machine and often times the fulcrum on which their whole army is balanced. If DC unites are forced to use their own bravery then they will often times crumble. If your opponent runs Bleakswords or Executioners then hit them with Summon Starlight from your Skink Starpriest. Executioners are a higher priority target, but in general it is safest to hit the one most likely to enter in combat that turn. Try your best to tie up their Darkshards in combat. Chameleon Skinks are perfect for this, especially if your CS can be in cover while they do it.

Some generic advice is to use Seraphon's high mobility within our Allegiance ability The Lords of Space and Time to out play Darklings on the objective game. You will also want a Slann to stop enemy spells, provide buffs, and most important garner Celestial Conjuration points to summon new units or resummon units which have been slain until you expand your collection.

lastly, I reccomend looking at the battalions that Seraphon have access too. A solid beginner-friendly starting point is the Thunderquake Starhost. A more advanced, but certainly potent, Battalion is the Shadowstrike Starhost. If you are looking to get some mileage out of the Saurus Warriors then I recommend the super battalion the Fangs of Sotek.

If you provide the game type and list building restrictions you plan to use I would be happy to help you create an exact army build.

I hope this was helpful! Best of luck.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  3. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

Points wise we run 500 and 1000 pts games. Mostly Matched with some house rules, but nothing that's a deal breaker for a Seraphon army. Slann, Bastiladon and EotG are on my "to-buy" list so far.

As far as i know he will run Executioners and Darkshards as battlelines and sorceress as general. He can also field Drakespawn Knights.

4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

For 500 points you might try something like this:

Allegiance: Seraphon

LEADERS:
    Skink Starpriest
    (80)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Master of Star Rituals
    - Artefact : Prism of Amyntok
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (160)

UNITS:
    40 x Skinks (240)
    -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

TOTAL: 480/500

AoS is really not balanced for 500 pt matches. Some people will play with only one Battleline tax, some with two. If you are allowed keep the Skinks as 1 unit. Otherwise split them into two unit. Either way, Prism of Amyntok is brutal in a 500 MPP game.

Here is another 1k list you currently own all the models for:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS:
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Carnosaur
    (240)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Disciplined Fury
    - War Spear
    - Artefact : Sword of Judgement

Skink Starpriest (80)

UNITS:
    30 x Saurus Warriors (300)
    -Spears
    20 x Skinks (120)
    -Boltspitters & Star Bucklers

BEHEMOTHS:
    Stegadon
    (220)

TOTAL: 960/1000

This is not an optimized list, but you do own everything currently needed to run it. You could drop the Stegadon in order to add an Astrolith for the Proud Defiance buff and maybe a few more Skinks.

In terms of future purchases I recommend the following:
    • Slann Starmaster
    • Razordons x4
    • Ripperdactyles (one box if you don't plan to play Shadowstrike Starhost, two boxes if you do plan to play it.)
    • Saurus Sunblood (If you plan to go in a more Sauruscentric route)

Audvin likes this.