1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Silver Tower

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by neveroddoreven, Apr 23, 2018.

1. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Here's something to look at. I've been at this for three or four months now. Wish I had more time to paint.

Saurus Progress.jpg

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

All those scales..... :O

Good job!

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

The detail is unreal!

4. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

It's like ultra ultra hd!

5. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor :jawdrop:

Shocking amount of detail you have achieved here, detailing every single scale!

6. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

The last Acolyte. I already had a replacement for the duplicate, but when I saw that Tzeentch expansion for Warhammer Underworlds I had to get it. Now I have a badass lady cultist too.

Kairic Acolytes 3.jpg

More Tzaangors. I might ditch these colours for the last three and go for something more natural-looking. People like it when I do that. I'm loving these swirly gems on the shields.

Tzaangors 2.jpg

Can you believe I've gone this long without painting one of the box's heroes? Well here's the Warpriest. I had a hard time with this model. Getting the metals to look right took a few tries, experimenting with the skin tone backfired and came out looking grey, and he has a cape. I hate painting capes, I can't get used to them.
    The Gryph-Hound was a breeze. The base was done in a previous session, but the model itself I did in around four or five hours in one sitting. That's really fast for me. He's an eagle/ocelot combo mostly.

Excelsior Warpriest.jpg

What's this? A Lizardman? Been a while since I've done one of these! Got scales all over, and this time with shading and highlighting on some of the bigger ones. This guy is technically more complex than my favourite Skink Priest, but is it a better model? I'm not sure. But here's something I've never done; the spherical part on top of the weapon was painted to look knapped into shape. That headress is made of seven parts glued together and is perhaps the best conversion I've ever done.

Saurus Oldblood.jpg

Currently painting the Ogroid Thaumaturge. I thought it would be an easy one, but it's fighting back.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Jaw-dropping, as always!

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree. @neveroddoreven 's work is always stunning.

It is so good that it actually discourages me from painting because all my stuff looks like vomit ridden trash by comparison!!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Simply glorious, especially the Lizard with the headdress! :artist::artist::artist:

10. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Daaaaannnng that floof of feathers is awesome! The colors also look awesome, keep this stuff up!

Warden likes this.
  11. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

The rest.

I'll start off with the boring one. A little better than the last one, but basically the same. Just some different colours to help tell them apart.

Skaven Deathrunner 2.jpg
    Ogroid Thaumaturge. Perhaps the second most difficult model I've ever painted for a multitude of reasons. I wanted some coherency across all the Tzeentch models, so all the armour's the same, the cloth, etc. The gems are all black opals, with pink, blue and yellow marbling. My Thaumaturge is painted like essentially one big opal.

Ogroid Thaumaturge.jpg
    The rest of the Tzaangors are done but I'm not content with the quality of the photos, so I'm going to try another crack at it. They look way better than the three I've already shown.

Warden, Imrahil, ravagekitteh and 4 others like this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

Having painted one myself I can say that it certainly was hard to paint for me as well.

You did a stellar job, as always.
    I especially like the belt with the eye (tiiiiny details) and the multi-colored(!) sigils.

Warden likes this.
  13. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

So I wanted to have the last three Tzaangors in more natural colours, and I was trying to think of which shade of brown fur would be the most interesting. Then I thought, 'of course, birds!' Turns out freehand feathers are quite easy.

Tzaangors 5.jpg
    Tzaangors 4.jpg
    Tzaangors 3.jpg
    And that's it. Took just over a year, but it's all done.

Warden, Imrahil, tom ndege and 5 others like this.
  14. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Awesome models all around, love the style of the Tzeentch stuff.

15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

The legs are really well done, your NMM has really improved as well, what colours do you use?

16. Aginor
    Slann

Those eyes!!!!
    Awesome. :)

Crowsfoot likes this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Yeah the one on the shield is mind blowing, @neveroddoreven I think we need a tutorial ;)

Aginor likes this.
  18. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

For the blades I changed the method about half way through the project. Before, I started with the midtone and used a black wash then lightened it up from there. Now I start with a dark grey as a basecoat and do it all with layers. As for the colours I used blue-greys, the Citadel equivalent would be the Space-Wolf themed colours, Russ grey and the like. The gold areas were basecoated Charred Brown (like Rhinox Hide), then layered with Filthy Brown (maybe Ungor Flesh?) then Bonewhite.

Eyeballs are fun to paint. The way I did them was very similar to painting gems, just in off-white. Then when you put that dot of pure white on the darker area at the top it makes them look wet and shiny.

Warden, tom ndege and Crowsfoot like this.
  19. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

How do you paint scales that small and consistent? I guess a lot of practice is involved but still; what kind of dark sorcery have you been using to achieve such a level of awesome awesomeness?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Wow amazing work!

Those designs are amazingly painted on the magical ogre sorceror! At first glance I thought they were photoshopped on, like you were planning them out. :confused: Then I realized they were painted on! Amazing! :artist:

Those are some perfect feathers! It really looks like it is covered!

And I like how you painted this guys' base. The little bit of green-and-blue cracks really looks magical and tzeetchy.

Lizerd likes this.