1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Skink army and Gryphhounds

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Nielspeterdejong, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Nielspeterdejong Well-Known Member

So I've been thinking about making a skink army, but one that is also fairly competetive. Sadly skinks are fairly weak, but then I had a chat with the awesome Bowser about Gryph hounds.

Apparently whenever a enemy units relocates within 10 inch of him (either walk, or charge) all units with range attacks within 2d6 inch can attack that unit. And if I read the description right: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Warscrolls/warhammer-aos-lordcastellant-en.pdf then that apparently counts for each Gryphhound.

I was wondering if we were both right with that?

Because with that in mind, I could build a army that allows me to focus down any melee unit that dares attack my frail skinks (twice If I take two gryphhounds?). What do you guys think of this Skink build for 2000 points?

Hurricanum=320
    2 Gryphhounds= 80 (so if they come charging, I can focus fire each enemy unit with all my ranged units twice! (You sure that is how it works right? Seems really powerfull to me!)

Heavenwatch starhost= 100
    Starseer= 150
    Skink priest= 100
    Bastiladon lazer= 300
    Stegadon= 260
    Troglodon= 200
    2 units of 10 skinks (to meet quota)= 160
    1 unit of 30 skinks= 320

Thoughts?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

3. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The third rule of 1 states the attacks from an ability cannot themselves generate further attacks, not that two of the same ability can not stack.
    In this example successful attacks from the first Gryph-hounds ability os not granting extra attacks, so would not be applicable.

5. Killyox
    Jungle Swarm

Killyox New Member

I dont think it works like that, it says relocates. Normaal movement or charge wont fall under that. We always seen it more as chameleon skinks ability or deepstrikers. If they deepstrike or setup within 10inch you can shoot it.

If you could shoot anything that just happend to move towards you it would be stupidly over powered.

gryph hounds are more meant to protect your army from skirmishers seting up behind your army.

Just my 2 cents ;)

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Ah man. I think you're right. I misread it. It say when a unit is setup. So protects from things like chameleon skinks or miners, or summoned ubits. Not any unit coming within 10". Bad call on my part.

7. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

Aww, too bad. I kinda liked the idea of having ranged attackers like that.

Is there any use for the gryph hound then?

Bowser likes this.
  8. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Just protection from aurprise units and deep strikers. Would be good against the VerminLord deceiver when he skitter leaps.

9. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

What about the Sylvaneth? With their tree hopping?

10. InfamousBeany
    Cold One

InfamousBeany Well-Known Member

Yes, as they are 'set up' on the battlefield. As far as I know, other similar effects that the Gryph can trigger in response to are: summons (of any variety), mining skaven or dwarves, teleporting stormcast eternals, the Death Allegiance Cloak of Mists and Shadows artefact, Chameleon Skinks, Ripperdactyls in the Shadowstrike battaliion and many more.

Anything that either starts off the battlefield, or has previously been removed from the battlefield, that then appears on the table, will trigger the Gryph. Moving a unit does not trigger the Gryph as they have remained present on the battlefield for the entirety of the action, thus they were not 'set up' in any way. Hope that clarifies it a bit.

Bowser likes this.
  11. Nielspeterdejong
    Terradon

It does, thanks! My opponent is going to play Sylvaneth, so I will try and get two hounds for when he does :)

Bowser likes this.