1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

skink musician WIP

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by angelwuff, Sep 9, 2009.

1. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

phew! So here's the idea. Take a standard saurus drum. clip/shave off the arm. Touch it up a bit. Remove a spike and remove a javelin from an arm. Set it so it looks like he's holding the drum/resting it on the ground. Used a normal 'hatchet' arm without weapon to look like he's just banging it with a hand. voila, my 11+1 skrox unit gets a +1 to rally when they invariably run!

now to get a krox. >.> I got the 11 skinks to rank, I reallllly hope when I get one of those big blighters he fits in too. And yes, this guy needs touch up and cleaning, shaving mold lines and probably some green stuff fixups. But it's a start and I think I'll do it for the 6 more skink musicians I'll eventually need. I'd like to have all musicians be drummers.

Here's pics!

drum3.jpg

drum2.jpg

drum1.jpg

2. rickie_82
    Saurus

rickie_82 New Member

Cool idea, consider it stolen :)

3. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

hee! Why I tossed it up. One thought was to remove the middle of the drum, making it shorter, but still very wide. I'm sure if I had more kits floating around, there'd be an empire drum or something more to their size.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Looks good, nice work.

5. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

thanks. now I just get to pray a kroxi will fit when I get one next week. Then it's time to paint.. eh..

72 figures @.@ phew. well, 60 for the 1K pt army, plus the skroxi unit. That'll be taking a while. but hope to have pictures over the next few months.

6. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

What a great, simple conversion. I'll be copying that twice too, once I get another battalion to take me up to 2k (+slann) and so have two 11+1 skrox units. Don't worry, the krox I have ranks perfectly, only the skinks are a nightmare as I'm sure you've discovered (only one configuration fits for mine). As the krox only goes near or over his base edge at a height well above the skinks (or with his tail at the back) it's not an issue.

Over spring I did the daunting task ahead of you, going from 0 to 1k points. It takes a fair bit of time but is more than doable even if you take every model to a high standard of painting. The key is just to paint a few hours every day. After a month of that I had about 750 points of skinks and saurus. The jump from 1k to 1.5k is easy (and fun) if you're just adding an EotG and some skinks or something, which I think is the best thing to do. Each milestone of having a unit completed is SO satisfying that once you get a unit or two done and can see them all ranked up together you'll have no trouble finishing the rest. The TG we're my most hated unit to paint, even though they're the smallest, as they have so many damn little gold buckles or leather straps that I kept forgetting.

7. rickie_82
    Saurus

rickie_82 New Member

On the ranking up skinks part, any tips? I will soon asemble my first cohort, and the first look I took on the skinks spelled nightmare.
    Is there any way to make em easier to rank? Have considerd tailbending, but with my luck I'll probbably will just snap em off. Or do I just put em together, say a prayer, and hope God have shown me the light?

Sad that all saurus are so easy to rank but skinks seem to be more off a chalange.

8. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

They don't look too bad to me.. Their bodies are angled forward so the tails should easily fit in under the model behind, and they are pretty skinny. I think you will have less trouble than you think.

When bending, the trick is to apply a fairly gentle pressure and just keep it constant for a time. Plastics have a degree of elasticity which is shown in a stress/strain curve, if you bend it with only a tiny bit of force it will return to its original shape. If you bend it past a certain point, it is permanently deformed, and further on from that it snaps. Warmer temperatures and bending slower rather than quicker will help get a better bend, put him in some hot water for a few minutes first.

9. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

Why is there a stick on it's foot?
    I don't remember mine having any of those... :shifty:

Nice idea anyhow, but I'll likely not steal it... For some reason my skinks are either utterly obliterated before they flee or utterly obliterated before they flee.

Cheers!

10. angelwuff
    Saurus

angelwuff New Member

hmm, not sure if I see it. could be a sprue bit, I haven't polished him up and was kinda rushing these in pre-fever madness.

It does make it look like he's lugging a taiko drum around, it's absurdly big =D

oh, your sig reminds me, going to put those snakes from the Cold one Cav set on 40X40 bases to make free jungle swarms. not that I'll use them. >.> but fun to have =D