1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skink preist and old steg

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Gexmofia, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

Skink preist

Stegadon 6th edition
    lizzies2.jpg

My preist is missing its standard and its hand weapon is just an unfinished layer. And i did a few sloppy mistakes dry brushing it (my sister could only take the picture before she left so i didnt have time to fix it up :( )

And my stegadon is almost done, his bottom legs need to to be dry brushed some more and i gotta do something with its spikes

Feel free to comment :D

Attached Files:

2. Sashu
    Skink

Sashu New Member

One very simple thing you could to improve your models would be to thin your paints. This makes them clump together less giving a much smoother finish and generally increase the quality of your models.

Otherwise, its a good start.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Aha thats it! I couldn't quite put my finger on the problem, Sashu is right. Water down the paints a bit and they will go on a lot smoother and thinner, several thin coats take longer than one thick but make it look so much better. Definitely worth it.

My other tip would be to give inks/washes a try. You just choose one depending on what kind of look you want and coat the part of the model or maybe the whole model with it, and they sink into the deeper areas and stay off the raised areas to slightly darken the model and add much depth and shadow to it. Inks need to be watered down, washes do not.

But it is indeed a good start, keep at it. :)

4. Gexmofia
    Skink

Gexmofia New Member

A guy at gw said that to me once but i guess i kinda discarded the thought XD.

so could i just paint a new smoothed out layer of paint overtop of it? or do i have to remove the old layer

5. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

The other problem with thick layers is they can begin to obscure fine detail on the model, that will be more so if you put even more paint on top of it. There isn't really any harm in trying though to see what happens, it will be no harder to remove than it is now if it still looks blobby. Or you could even put these models aside for now and start painting other things with thinner paint, then when you have a bit more experience come back to them.

Really one of the most important things to remember when painting is you cannot 'ruin' a model, it is always easy to paint over mistakes or experiments that didn't come out right or just strip them back. Trying new techniques and pushing your skills to their limit is what will make your painting improve, you won't get better if you just stick to doing the same basic things over and over. Aim to make every new unit with something slightly different that you haven't tried before and you will notice your painting evolving and getting far better over time, then you can look at these old models and immediately see how you could make it better than it is and improve it or start it again.

Good luck with it.