1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skink sizes?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Yodhrin, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Yodhrin
    Jungle Swarm

Yodhrin New Member

I'm building a Lizardmen warband for Mordheim-Lustria at the moment, but I was dismayed to find that the Skinks from the plastic box and the ones from the Stegadon & Bastiladon appear to be in a totally different scale(and the Oracle from the Carnosaur different again, being Saurus-sized). So, before I waste any more money - can anyone tell me which of the two sizes are the Terradon/Ripperdactyl riders closer to?

2. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

They are close to the bastilladon's skinks... a bit smaller than the regular regiment skinks...

3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah I wondered about that as well. But don't worry it is easy to mix them. (Except the biggest ones).
    My personal explanation is that Skinks have a rather big variety of sizes and that they grow when getting older.
    So the Oracle and the Starpriest are so old that they are the size of young Saurus, and for riding the beasts, especially flying ones, smaller Skinks are preferred because they are lighter, much like jockeys in real life: Small light men are chosen to ride race horses to improve their speed.

Saminator and tom ndege like this.
  4. Slannta's Little Helper
    Kroxigor

Slannta's Little Helper Well-Known Member

Yeah in lizardmen society everyone fits into their roles so there is some logic to different sized skinks that and natural variations in a species would also account for it :)

5. Yodhrin
    Jungle Swarm

Yodhrin New Member

Eh, I don't agree but it's probably just a matter of taste - people often forget that at these kinds of scales what we'd think of as normal variation in height is only a couple of millimetres, and when you put the main Skink box models next to the ones from other kits they really do look like entirely different scales being significantly taller and bulkier in all dimensions. It's much more noticeable when there's only a dozen in total in your force as well.

Anyway, I ended up scoring an extra set of the Stegadon ones off ebay so I should be fine to have them all around the same size. Thanks folks.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

I always found this annoying as well. I remember reading an article in WD back when they released the Bastiladon and new carnosaur etc. Apparently the skinks riding other dinosaurs are made smaller by design to make the beasts they are riding appear larger than they are.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Well, I admit it works.
    Judging from the pictures on the GW shop page I thought the Bastiladon and the Stegadon were HUGE. They arent. I mean: they are big enough but I was still a bit disappointed.

8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

What would the sorted-by-size list look like?

Skinks Smallest to Largest:
    1. Plastic Skinks with Bows...
    2. ???
    3. ??
    4. ?

9. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Not quite sure but I think is like
    1. 5th edition handlers/ terradon crew
    2. Bow skinks/ bastilladon's crew
    3. Modern terradon riders