1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skinks into Chameleons

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Dangerbutton, Nov 3, 2009.

1. Dangerbutton
    Skink

Dangerbutton New Member

So, I wanna get myself some chameleon skinks, but don't wanna pay for them. (well, really I'd like to not have to pay for anything in my army. . . ). I've ended up with an excess of Skink skirmishers, so I'm considering converting a handful of them into Chameleon Skinks.
    So I've got two questions:
    1- About how many Chameleon skinks are good to have available?
    2- How should I make the conversion? Keep in mind, I don't own any green stuff. I could get some if I needed to, but if there were a good way to convert them without it, I'd prefer that option.
    Thanks.

2. Trevy the Great
    Skink

Trevy the Great New Member

Tactically I'm not sure about Chameleon unit numbers, but I bet someone who uses them regularly will come along eventually.
    I think the easiest way to model a Chameleon Skink would be to paint it like a Chameleon. With the plastic Skinks its pretty easy to make them weaving around terrain, like this:
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa247/ninkybob/PA250141.jpg
    You could do something like that and paint them like they're blending into the terrain. That's the simplest I can think of.

P.S My IMG and URL codes don't work, so just copy and past the above link into a new window or tab.

3. Dangerbutton
    Skink

Dangerbutton New Member

hey that looks nice. Now, uh, what's the best way to go about making little trees and vegetation like that? I'm pretty new to the whole wargaming scene.

4. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

I'm not great at adding terrain features onto bases (or making terrain of any kind) but I would have to to say the easiest way to make chameleons skinks is to just paint them green (of course this is if the rest of your army isn't green)...

As for unit sizes, I've come to love my chameleons, but they are only meant to marchblock and harass so having a surplus isn't good. That and at 12 pts a piece you don't want large units that hand away VPs, chameleon skinks aren't even all that hard to shoot down (since they no longer have waywatcher esque rules). So,

Two units of 6 should be a good maximum... This way you can run 2 units of 6, 2 units of 5, 1 unit of 6, or 1 unit of 5, and such...I wouldn't suggest more then 12 total in any game, they are good, but after 2 units of 6 your better off getting some terradons or something as well (I've liked chameleons more then terradons so far, but too many chameleons seems to waste points, where as terradons can support them well).

Good Luck...

5. Trevy the Great
    Skink

Trevy the Great New Member

That's one of the smaller trees from the Warhammer Jungle Trees set that GW sells. I find an easy and cheap solution to that set to be the aquarium plants one can buy in a pet store.

6. The Great One
    Skink

The Great One New Member

To make a chameleon skink you must just cut off his cockscomb :smug:
    And with the help of greenstuff model his eyes and tail

(sorry for my bad english o_O )

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

They're not entirely done yet, but this is what I've come up with in regards to this topic:
    DSCN1910.jpg

8. SlannOfItza
    Kroxigor

SlannOfItza New Member

Some chameleons have the crest on their heads, and I tihnk its easier/looks way better to leave the crest on. Then I did the eyes and tails and that was that... :D

9. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I think if I was making an Oxoyotl model, I would leave some sort of crest on (actually, I'd probably sculpt a new one) because his picture in the Army Book has one. Stock Chameleons, though, wear li'l hats made of dead frogs and whatnot, so I'm going to try sculpting those instead.
    You're right though - the main things to do are the eyes and tail.

10. Mordechai
    Cold One

Mordechai New Member

I´m making my chamos just like the asrodrig maded, but in their heads i´ve put some green stuff making a small hat, them i maded a lots of little holes with a neddle...

I usually put them in table in 2 units of 5... they works as march blockers, and to try to kick out light cavalry or other "fast" thing, so 120 points that generally pays itself on the first turn...

Oh, i forgot, i´ve maded too one unit of 5 skinks that I´ve cut the miniature in half, so one mini is a skink emerging from the water and another diving on the water (this looked very cool, cause i´ve sculpet his tail holding de blowpipe!!!)

Hope that helps...

cheers

11. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

That sounds pretty cool, could you possibly post pics of that? :)

12. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Seconded. As an aside, here's the pics of mine after I sculpted some little hats on them.
    DSCN1912.jpg

13. n1ghtl1fe
    Skink

n1ghtl1fe New Member

Loving those chameleon models. I wasn't really fussed about owning or making any before but after some googling have decided to model some when i can get hold of some skinks.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the "half skinks" too.

When done right I do actually prefer the converted models made by people rather than the GW models.

14. Pussel
    Skink

Pussel New Member

This was really great. Is it hard to model with greenstuff? I have never tried.. perhaps I should buy some and make half my upcoming skink-troop cameleons too. Really good way to save money and work on modeling skills!

15. speedygeko
    Cold One

speedygeko New Member

all gooD ideas im thinking if using the bras leaves from the WH basing kit 2 make them look more junglish
    I love the idea of them having the blow pipes in there tails
    keep the pics coming

Geko ;)

16. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Good job on the conversioin very cool so far.

17. Cuauhtémoc
    Saurus

Cuauhtémoc New Member

Ah, Asrodrig, you're pulling out painful memory's...
    I think one of the main reasons I chose Lizzies are the chameleon skinks, and Oxyotl in particular.
    I actually made an awesome Oxyotl model out of an old DND troglodyte with the help of some greenstuff (Spectacular crest included) and some skink bits.
    Alas, some leering little bastard from my gaming club stole it when I was concentrated in my game!!! (It was positioned beside me for luck)
    I'll guess I'll just create a new one in the form of a super converted super greenstuffed skink...

18. deathguard
    Skink

deathguard New Member

you could always do them as panther chameleons with the 3 horns

19. dhuan gor
    Saurus

dhuan gor New Member

looks good I want to make some too, teach me the ways sempai.

20. n1ghtl1fe
    Skink

n1ghtl1fe New Member

Chameleon skinks are great fun to model and paint.

Still waiting on pictures of the "half" skinks, would be good to see them.