1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Skinks, Skinks, Skinks, Dino... oh and more Skinks

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by skink-a-saurus, Jan 19, 2018.

1. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

skink-a-saurus Active Member

Ok status update!

Bases are almost done. Just have to add some bitz to the bases to give some character.
    20180125_174559.jpg

I also got a little carried away and made 2 more stegs and started magnetizing them...

20180125_174710.jpg

What is the next step:
    Still waiting on the razordons to arrive in the mail. In the mean time; I will pin the feet of the skinks to the bases and call them done, wash the mold release off some cold one riders and build/pin 5 of them, lastly either magnetize skink crew of the new stegs or build some flying dinos...

6 days until i can move onto the painting phase! whats more exciting then batch painting 60 skinks.... now where did i put that airbrush.

Until next time, may your pond be ever deep!

Toltecatl, n810, Ritual and 5 others like this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

HAHAHA! MOAAAR STEGADOOOOONS!

I also really like those bases.I haven't tried the combination of cork and the GSW rolling pin yet but that's a good idea.

Ritual, Crowsfoot and skink-a-saurus like this.
  3. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Yep! Really nice, indeed!

Also a point where I see much room for improvement on my side... really inspiring the stuff here... sadly real life problems go first...

keep the stuff coming!

Ritual, Crowsfoot and skink-a-saurus like this.
  4. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

Today's status update:

Skinks are all based and waiting some paint. I am still waiting on Razordons so i decided to move onto some cold ones! These sculpts are my favorite of the entire range, but, these are a nightmare to put together. I like to pin all my models, so these models require lots of holes and messing around with green stuff. On top of that, i ran out of magnets (1/16 diameter 1/32 thickness). So i cannot finish the riders until i can magnetize their arms and saddle.

20180127_134129.jpg 20180127_134153.jpg 20180127_172452.jpg 20180127_172457.jpg 20180127_172510.jpg

With that, i will pre-drill holes and wait on the mail. So, what is next to build?

I am thinking of models that i could use when i expand to 2000 pts.... So right now i am back to making bases; 3 bases for 3 more Kroxigors, 3 bases for 3 terradons, 5 bases for 5 Saurus Guard, and possibly 4 large bases for 2 Stegs 1 Trog and 1 bastiladon. ok, enough talk, back to gluing and drilling!!

Cheers

n810, Itepixcauh, Lherad and 5 others like this.
  5. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

Ok, quick early afternoon update:

I finished 6 bases for 6 Kroxigor, 1 large base for the Trog, 10 bases for 10 Guard, 1 base for a Cold One Hero.... and tried 1 base for a terradon (still not happy with it, so please help with ideas).

So starting with the Trog:
    20180128_133937.jpg

Moving to Kroxiogs
    20180128_134020.jpg 20180128_134246.jpg

Saurus Guard
    20180128_134059.jpg 20180128_134111.jpg

Cold One Hero base!
    20180128_133949.jpg

And a failed attempt for a flying base. The idea is i want a large tall base to have the terradons flying over; such as a cliff or a peak of a stone statue etc. My inspiration is Rafal Maj from Bloodybeast.com.
    20180128_134310.jpg

The rest of today will be pinning feet to bases then maybe more bases? who knows!

Cheers

Toltecatl, n810, Itepixcauh and 4 others like this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

I like the structure of those bases, can't wait to see them painted. :)

Ritual and skink-a-saurus like this.
  7. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

Sorry for all the spam, but here is the close of today's progress. Saurus Guard are all pinned to the base as well as the 6 kroxigors. The Trog is still in the glueing phase as i am waiting on magnets to magnetize the skink rider.

20180128_224317.jpg 20180128_224339.jpg 20180128_224345.jpg 20180128_224458.jpg

So whats the next step? well i still have a few days until the first of February (that's when i can start painting), so i want to finish preparing the skink cold one riders. So when the magnets arrive i can glue them in and be done. i also want to finish the Trog when those magnets get in. I am also waiting for 3 razordons to arrive, the bases are all ready to go, so i will just glue them and pin them. Lastly i really want to make some bases for the terradons as i already built them and magnetized the riders hands.

Ok enough from me!
    Cheers

Toltecatl, n810, Itepixcauh and 6 others like this.
  8. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Nice addition on the troggy's base!

Ritual and skink-a-saurus like this.
  9. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

Mail arrived!

Razordons are based and ready to go. The magnets are in so i have 2 days left to finish the cold one riders and maybe some terradons (but that may be a stretch.

20180129_223139.jpg 20180129_223158.jpg 20180129_223233.jpg

and a picture of the tiny magnets compared to a skink; 1/16 diameter and 1/32 thickness. Perfect for hands and small connections.
    20180129_223350.jpg

Cheers

Toltecatl, n810, Warden and 4 others like this.
  10. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Not afraid to breath them in? ...the magnets

skink-a-saurus and Ritual like this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

Those magnets are indeed very tiny, even smaller than the ones I use.

skink-a-saurus and Ritual like this.
  12. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

ok so its finally the first of February!! that means no more building and gluing... just painting.

Before i plunge into the paint, here is the results of one month of dedicated building:

Finished:
    60 Skinks (20 with jav 40 with boltspitters)
    3 Skink Handlers
    2 Salamanders
    4 Razordons
    4 Skink Hero's (3 wizard 1 chief)
    9 Kroxigors
    1 Steg (fully magnetized)
    10 Saurus Guard

Unfinished:
    5 Skink Cold One Riders
    1 Trog
    2 Stegs
    1 Bastiladon
    3 Terradons

So the goal was just 1000pts of AoS, which i feel i comfortably achieved and a little more!!
    Below is a picture of the 1000pts (yes i know its a pretty average list... that's why i started building other models to swap in an out)

20180201_222743.jpg 20180201_222836.jpg

Now lets talk paint!

I need help with colours; i really want a green colour theme with red accents (blazing orange?) bronze and stone. Either incorporate the red into the crests with white for tattoos, or use the red/orange as the tattoos and have a faded green for crests with a darker green for scales? Help!

With all that said, im excited to start to paint tomorrow! im rusty and its not going to be pretty... but the goal for Feb is to paint the 1000pts!

Cheers

Toltecatl, n810, Warden and 3 others like this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

Good!
    I recommend looking at some tutorials for Boneplitterz Orruks (or other Orruks) since one of the official GW styles is to make them green with red tattoos. You might be able to get some inspiration what colors to use from there.
    This tutorial for example shows a bit of blue and green:

These might also help for some green skin ideas:

Oh and there is a guy who paints a Troglodon in a 8-part video on YT. While you might not paint a Troglodon, he uses some green and red and orange together and that might be useful:

14. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

I'm in love with these project!

Looking amazing, also I know the pain of building and Greenstuffing those old Cold Ones man...

skink-a-saurus likes this.
  15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I like the troglodon's colors in this one, nice find.

Itepixcauh likes this.
  16. skink-a-saurus
    Saurus

Ok i finally have a test miniature done! well, by done i mean the skin, scale and crest colours picked. I haven't painted in a very long time so i'm rusty but it will clean up as i paint away this month. Take a look and please give some feedback; is the highlighting too sharp, or the colours too flat, etc. I'm trying to find a method that is quick enough to mass paint skinks, but not rushed or messy.

So take a look and throw some feedback this way, please! after looking at the pictures below i think i may glaze it with a little yellow for the skin (the skin looks a little flat..)
    20180205_215758.jpg 20180205_215742.jpg 20180205_215804.jpg 20180205_215813.jpg 20180205_215820.jpg

SIDE NOTE: after looking at the pictures below i think i may glaze it with a little yellow for the skin (the skin looks a little flat..)

SIDE SIDE NOTE: I don't have any lahmian medium left (its all over my desk and carpet...) has anyone used airbrush flow improver for the same purpose?

17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Glazing will bring back a bit of colour as the green looks a little chalky but the highlights are spot on, maybe finish the base first and then see if it needs a glaze, if you go dark on the base it may add enough contrast without glazing, airbrush improver should be ok but do a test first.

Looks great so far.

tom ndege likes this.
  18. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

Looks solid. But you might be right about the glaze on the skin... but I think it's already looking good. scales look great as they are. And the crest... nice. Maybe it needs some little more shade in the wrinkles... personally I wouldn't touch it anymore... so all together a nicely painted model. And as @Crowsfoot said finish that model from here and maybe some more and then you can decide if and what you want to improve... this is a solid foundation to work from cause it already looks great

Crowsfoot likes this.
  19. Aginor
    Slann

I also like it as it is. Good work!

As for the Lahmian question: I heard it is absolutely the same. I will try it myself soon as I recently bought a 200ml thinner botle.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  20. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

I love skinks in green, your look amazing with the dark brown/red in the crests.

Crowsfoot and Aginor like this.