1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skirmishers

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Didymus, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

I haven't played games in 8th edition yet, but i did have a quick look through the new rules and noticed the changes for skirmishers. I don't know what to think of the changes, are skirmishers (specifically skinks) on the field still pretty much the same or do they have new uses/tactics?

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

They changed a lot. Some god and some bad.

First up, the bad:
    Skirmishers no longer have a 360 degree line of sight. They only get the front arc. They also now have to be positioned .5 inches apart (in a rank and file fashion). When charged, they have to close in ranks and become rank and file (like cohorts without the bonuses or ranks).

The good:
    Skirmishers can march and shoot now. Skirmishers have the strider special ability and ignore some of the terrain tests. Javelins now have a range of 12 inches and are quick to fire (blowpipes are not :(). Skirmishers marching and shooting gives you a close range shot range of 24 inches (single tapping) or 18 inches (double tapping) hitting on 6s.

Chameleons have become awesome due to that rule. Another note worth rule for chameleons is that scouts now can start anywhere on the board 12 inches from an enemy. Also, since chameleons have a better BS (4), they hit at long range on 5s after marching.

I am sure there is something that I am forgetting, but that is the gist of it.

3. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

as salamanders are skirmishers, they can now march & fire, which is brutal :)

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I forgot the best unit.

5. Didymus
    Chameleon Skink

Didymus Active Member

k, so chameleons have improved. what about the role skink skirmishers play (sreecning, diverting,..), has it changed a lot? should you still take a unit or 2-3 of skinks?