1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Skrox Units in new book

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Nakki, Aug 7, 2013.

1. olderplayer
    Chameleon Skink

olderplayer New Member

It reads quite clear to me. after reading this thread and the text again. The "only" in questions relates to the conditions under which the Krox can be attacked. "...can only target Kroxigor within a mixed unit if..." says that if the condition (in b2b contact with a Krox or b2b contact with a skink in b2b with a Krox) only then can one target a Krox. It does not say one must target a Krox if the conditions are met. Furhtermore, earlier in discussing the Spawn-Kin rule GW uses the word must wrt to putting Krox in the second rank if 5 or more skinks are in the first rank.

2. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

I suppose. But do the same thing and underline/bold the other word.

"[C]lose combat attacks can only target Kroxigor within a mixed unit if an enemy model is either in base contact with a Kroxigor, or ... with a Skink who is in turn in base contact with a Kroxigor."

Isn't English the best language ever? Haha.

3. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Any chance we can divert this thread back to a discussion of tactics and uses of Skrox units? Are they a thing of the past or not? Does the kroxigor's inherent toughness, better WS and scaly skin mean that opponents will generally still chose to rack up CR by killing as many skinks as possible?

4. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Read my earlier posts--that's my ultimate point. The rule is equally subject to two different interpretations and needs to be clarified. I don't actually advocate one over the other.

5. Nakki
    Skink

Nakki Member

Lol sorry everyone i shouldn't have put the question about characters..... I didn't mean to make this another threat arguing about the same thing as the last Skrox thread. In fact I was hoping for a thread discussing more of their tactical possibilities since the last skrox thread blew up into this same argument.....

6. Enkill3
    Skink

Enkill3 New Member

High strength enemies, anything S5 or up, will probably cut down the Krox, since the extra S (anything above 4) is wasted on skinks, and the Krox won't get a save, that and anything S5 or up will likely be expensive and afraid of the Krox strength.... unless youre a marauderer, but sill, high strength enemies will hurt the big guys

Anything S3 and 4 will probably go for the skinks, should cause more damage than trying to hurt the Krox,

Remember skinks now have a 5+6++ they get a better save than the Krox! It's only the Krox toughness that protects them.

The question is should you use them at all?

A unit of 3 Krox and many skinks is about 300 points, so is 6 Krox,
    The skrox will have three ranks and a banner, so stubborn and starting with 4 combat res, and the banner being muchly important in 1/3 of games remember, They can shoot, ish, kind of, 10 poisioned shots isn't terrible, but it's something, 2 wounds (almost) on a stand and shoot

The Krox have all the high strength attacks, 18! 7and a half wounds against anything T5 or less, but remeber the extra strenght will be wasted a lot of the time, since high T and 2+ isn't that common, and you are assuming none die, and they will. You only have to take 6 wounds to lose a third of your effectiveness, which isnt that hard to do, But they open chaos armour like it isn't even there, they also aren't a core choice

But you can get 20(something) saurus for that! with 3 probably 2 ranks, banner and a bucket load of attacks,

So, in the end, if you aren't taking saurus as your core, ( for whatever reason) you will (probably) have to take skink cohorts for the banners, and since you want those banners to survive, (MSU skink units with banners is just going to give away VP's) you will probably want bigish units. And the the Krox do add some Killy power, and the bonus leadership.

They also look amazing. :)
    Which is all that really matters.

7. mbh7271
    Skink

mbh7271 New Member

Is the WOC daemon prince actually a deamon?

8. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

I'm thinking 10 skinks, poison, 1 Krox, and a Chief with the Egg of Quango. Not too expensive, packs pretty good punch, and useful for controlling your Saurus.

9. ChandlerGriz
    Chameleon Skink

ChandlerGriz Member

how I read it is if a Skrox unit gets into combat with another unit.. say Skeletons, then the FRONT rank of the Skeletons can choose to attack Skinks, Characters OR Kroxigor. But the supporting attacks of the Skeletons must attack skinks or characters that are in base contact with the skeleton in front of it?

correct?

10. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Random, but yes.

11. nzdino
    Skink

nzdino New Member

yes I think your are right

12. JamJar
    Temple Guard

JamJar Well-Known Member

I also think it's the choice to hint the kroxigor or skink cohort
    If you want to target the kroxigor, you can IF it's touching the skink in front of you
    (besides, if only the krox could be hit, wouldn't they just belong in the front rank???)

As people have said: the lovely thing about skrox units is the reduced chance of a krox getting shot by missiles
    ...and the semi infinate ranks of cohort = stubborn
    ...and characters
    ...and standard bearers, musicians & champs
    ...and many poison attacks from skinks before most things will attack
    ...and stomps only on skinks

The last sentence says "Skink models in base contact with friendly kroxigor have fear
    ^Now this is interesting (if no one saw it before) because why would it say models cause fear and not the whole unit?

Does this mean adjacent units that touch any kroxigors (somehow in combat?) (lone kroxigor unit even?) have fear?
    This could have some sort of advantage

13. MI_Tiger
    Temple Guard

MI_Tiger Member

In the last edition, there was some debate whether characters could join skrox since it is a mixed unit. It seemed logical they could, but there was a question with RAW (I don't remember the details of the argument). Is this explicitly cleared up in the new book?

14. sirkently
    Cold One

sirkently Member

Don't think it is explicitly cleared up, but Tetto'Eko can join a mixed unit, so I would assume it is fine for a regular skink character to join the unit.

15. gapton
    Saurus

gapton Member

You can only eat veg if you are a vegetarian.
    1) Because you are a vegetarian, you can only eat veg.
    2) Read as "only if you are a vegetarian can you eat veg." Which means nobody except vegetarian can eat veg. Which makes no sense, so our brain rules this out automatically.

You can only smoke if you are in the smoking lounge.
    1) Because you are in the smoking lounge, you can smoke.
    2) Only if you are in the smoking lounge can you smoke. Which makes no sense because I can smoke at home, or say in a park.

We are no lawyers, and everyday English can easily have multiple legit meanings.

D4C_Lets_face_it_English_is_a_crazy_language1.jpg

16. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

I like the idea of a support block of these for chariot duty. Impact hits still randomize, and will mostly hit skinks. I'm thinking 17 skinks with 2 kroxigors, banner and muso. Comes out to 205 points. It can also play the field a bit wider, due to krox Ld7 and the muso if they need to flee and then rally on Ld8. They're not a mainline anvil anymore, but str7 coming from the flank won't make anyone happy. Another advantage to playing them wide is that their fear will come into play, assuming you are outside the enemy's Ld bubble.

Also worth noting is that the front rank skinks do offer some protection from monsters with special attacks that target "models in base contact." Kroxigors are also protected from supporting attacks. It is too bad that the rule wasn't "enemy models may attack the kroxigors if they are touching a front rank skink, but they may only make supporting attacks in this way." This would have preserved a lot of the power of the skrox unit.

I propose we start a new project, called Save The Skrox!

Here's how the plan goes. Everyone hammer away at the FAQ e-mail box with the following question.

"Since models in the enemy front rank must fight over the top of a skink model to strike the Kroxigors in the second rank of a mixed skink/kroxigor unit, do the enemy attacks count as supporting attacks?"

It's a long shot, but it would make the skrox very effective once again vs monstrous cav, whose mounts wouldn't be able to hit the krox. It also makes sense that if the kroxigors fighting over top of the skinks are making supporting attacks, then enemies fighting over the skinks' heads should also be making supporting attacks...

17. nzdino
    Skink

nzdino New Member

quick question here if you have more than one kroxigor in a skrox unit do the kroxigor have to be touching each others bases ? or can you have a line of skinks ranking up in between each of them ?

18. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Basically, they just need to be in the second rank. You could do something like:

SSSSS
    KKSKK
    KKSKK
    SSSSS
    SSSSS

This would also allow kroxigors to strike to either side if the unit is ever flanked, but of course that's never a good situation.

19. nzdino
    Skink

nzdino New Member

cool thanks for that man

20. Spiney Norman
    Kroxigor

Spiney Norman New Member

I think that is because mixed units were formerly classified as unique units (also the reason why they could not be stomped). I don't think this is the case any more so characters are able to join them as normal.