1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Slann - Alone or in TG - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by syypher, Sep 8, 2011.

1. syypher
    Saurus

syypher New Member

So I'm curious hat ou guys think of this. There has already been a thread on having him alone and how to run him but this thread will be for which do you find the most effective.

One way you have a slann that is durable solo because of the ethereal and probably the 2+ ward vs shooting.
    On the other hand you have a Slann that now isn't afriad of getting too close and he hasa pretty deadly bunker that can move forward. But the bunker is very expensive.

We all know in a competitive environment you would really never take TG alone and Saurus will usually fill their roll for cheaper etc. So I've been thinking lately that I may just start running him solo with his protection item and magic. Saves me about 300 or so points from my TG bunker...Honestly just sounds like the most effective and best way to run him and you save points for more cost effective units.

What are your guys thoughts on this?

2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Both build will win tournaments.
    They both have their benefits and drawbacks,

3. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

Of course both can worth. I'm a Lone Slann man though. I find the TG can shoehorn you into Lore of Life Deathstar style of play. I'm into a more flexible game where everything (except the Slann, who uses Light) is expendable.

4. Bananmats
    Saurus

Bananmats New Member

I mostly run with him alone.

I use etheral "and dosent let my opponnent know until he charges/shoots and waste time on that"
    That way he makes up some of his expensive points as well. "Even draw in combat resoults vs monster due to battle standard"
    Ive been killed so many times vs High Elf "they are popular!" irresitble force on any double-Dwellers belowed with him inside TG.

Some things not to do.

Playing the scenario Blood And glory, and having the truly last turn and want to massacre your opponent, rolling misscast, roll 1 with Cupped hands "2+" roll 3 at the miscast list, and then roll 1-2-3 and killing yourself, and instantly losing the game with a massacre win to your opponent.

Two, watch out for Archers getting the Fire Lore buff so that they are magical and shoot slann down in the first turn. "contra etheral"

Things to do,

Stay 3inches within a Saurus unit and benefit from Look out sir.

Slann can really take a beating, most oponnents dosent really know that he have 5wounds, +4ward save and T4. I mean, how often do some creature gonna make 5wounds in a turn ? The turn after i usualy counter charge with my stegadons and take revenge for even touching Slann!
    I might mention that im also always playing with Life. That way i can generate some wounds.
    "Also put him back into your saurus unit if hes wounded."

5. General Cross
    Skink

General Cross New Member

In my experience a Temple Guard bunker can be avoided by experienced players until the end where they can gang up with flank charges etc. You can quite easilly protect your Slann by hiding him behind your Saurus and buffing them with Life or Light. Its tricky to track down mages in combat if you just march to the other side of your units. The 2+ Ward is essential though, and Ethereal helps too.

If you're really worried about him getting caught you could invest in the Jaguar Charm to allow him to fly away from enemies.

It also makes miscasts less damaging as there's no units to suffer collateral damage from.

6. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

If people are avoiding the TG bunker then the standard of extra D6 charge move is good.

I thought Jaguar charm was still limited to characters on foot (although spell works, slann can't take item!), can't look up to check here.

Slann in TG bunker is good if your plan is to grind through enemy. Solo slan is good if you want to out manouvre enemy or shoot him up with skinks and sallies (throwback to previous book MSU tactics).

7. syypher
    Saurus

syypher New Member

So...I tried him in a TG and honestly...I think I could have done w/o the TG bunker. With Ethereal and his item that turns his ward to 2++ vs ranged attacks I'm pretty sure he would have been fine. Not to mention, like some others here have, it is less of a burden with miscasts (yes they still suck) when you don't have to worry about nuking expensive models around you as much.

Also, the points saved could be used elsewhere I think.

8. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

Also, its just plain more fun (from the gamesmanship perpective). A TG deathstar can make for a game where your only possible strategy is the roll the unit forward and hope to roll high on the Wind of Magic roll and your charge distance roll. Its neither more or less competative necessarily, but a lone Slann is less forgiving/more challenging.

9. syypher
    Saurus

syypher New Member

My biggest thing is how much points 20-26 TG take up. That's a lot of other units you can put in which IMO gives much better balance to the way I build my lists. To each his own but I'm kind of sad how I don't think I'll be using my 30 TG models very much >_<

10. morik
    Skink

morik New Member

Ok, probably a silly question, but how do you make him Ethereal?

11. Scarr_Horned_one
    Skink

Scarr_Horned_one New Member

A Slaan has many overpowered traits. These are listed on the page for Slaan rules. Each Slaan has to get one for free but they can buy other traits for 50 each. A good deal if you ask me. One of them is "Ethereal" if you know how that works.

12. morik
    Skink

morik New Member

Is that 'Higher State of Consciousness'?

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I thinks thats the one, says something like can't be harmed except by magical weapons.

14. zamtap
    Skink

zamtap New Member

what about skaven or dwarves that have pleanty of magical shooting is the slann still better off out of the temple guard?

15. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The slann in the TG can almost ignore those magic shots. He gets a 2+ LOS roll and even if he fails that, he still has a 4+ ward save. You could also take the item that gives a 2+ ward from shooting attacks. You could take lore of light and use pha's protection or the signature heavens spell from a priest to keep those war machines from shooting on a roll of 1-3.

I would say that if you fell like there will be a lot of shooting, you should bunker him in a unit of TG. Or even a unit of saurus with the crown of command on the slann or on a scar-vet. That will turn a saurus unit into the equivilent of TG. The only difference is the slann must go in the front rank if there is room.

16. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

How does the slann get a 2+ LoS?

And I have traditionally gone for TG bunker for the following reasons:

1) Dwarves have magical shooting cannons
    2) HE have strong magic to snipe my Slann
    3) TG are stubborn.. I have taken on twice my numbers in Tomb Guards with a sphynx hammering me in the rear and a chariot charge to the side. The block held and I was able to support with a stegadon and magic on my turn to kill everything. How can you beat that? And who said anything about deathstar? I was playing Shadow with a Scar-vet to catapult at enemy heroes.

Both are completely viable. I've been wanting to run solo slann for a while now, especially with other juicy targets to vex my opponent with.

But traditionally I have gone bunker, because it is so effective, and I can use it the same way as saurus, just better.

Most of the time my opponents are committing so much to try to take out my TG block, that the rest of my army can just run over them.

I also like it fluff-wise

17. Dog On Todd
    Kroxigor

Dog On Todd Member

And another thing, a solo slann with all his protective goodies is going to cost more points than the ones I put in bunkers.

The points increase spent on him negates the points you save downgrading TG to Saurus.. And TG are better.

18. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

The 2+ LOS is from being an infantry character in an infantry unit. Even though his base is monster sized, the slann is not. He is categorized as an infantry model.

19. Voidling
    Jungle Swarm

Voidling New Member

The discipline of "higher state of consciousness" makes slann ethereal.

20. parrot
    Cold One

parrot New Member

Slann in TG bunker will be able to move closer to the enemy than solo slann (the enemy can charge your solo slann). I would go for the TG bunker.