1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Slann and remembering

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by ASSASSIN_NR_1, Feb 5, 2019.

1. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

I am not well versed in the lore of AOS, but I just wondered what, if anything, keeps the Slann from rembering other/new Slann into existence?

Eulailah and LizardWizard like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Hmmmm, wishing for more Genies eh?

Eulailah and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  3. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

the mental complexities of a slann's mind are neigh impossible to fathom... even for other Slann... in order to remember the seraphon into existence the Slann has to recall every minute detail about them.... and because they don't understand the inner workings of their fellow slann.... they cant remember them into existence.

think of it in the same way someone would have to know someone's true name to control them in the "inheritance" series ( Eragon, the dragon rider)... how well you know them allows you to control them.... and slann cant be known as they are just too deep a race.

LizardWizard and ASSASSIN_NR_1 like this.
  4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

The more the merrier I guess :D

That's a nice way to put it.
    Wouldn't that would mean that if a Slann understands himself well enough, he could clone himself?

LizardWizard and ILKAIN like this.
  5. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Two beings cannot exist at the same time in different places.... they aren't cloning, they are forcing the existence of the fallen.. those lost defending the world that was to the very end.

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

Really? I though several Slann could in theory say remember Kroq-Gar into existence

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I could tell you, but... I don't remember. :D

Ok, joke aside, I think @ILKAIN said it perfectly.

8. Turtlewing
    Jungle Swarm

Turtlewing New Member

This is largely my read on it as well, but I think using true names as an example might be understating the complexity which leads to follow up questions like "why can they only remember not imagine?" or "why can't they remember anything they encounter in the mortal realms?".

I'd liken the whole thing to a complex craft like origami. If you know the right folds you can make a little statue of a swan. Now consider what it'd be like trying to find the right set of folds to fold a living swan. Now consider what it'd take to find the set of folds to make a specific living swan.

That's what the Slan are doing when they "remember" the Seraphon into being. And they rely heavily on the fact that they already have the knowledge of how to make skinks and sarus, etc. from the old world where they did that all the time using spawning pits. But they got that knowledge from the Old Ones, and the Old Ones never taught the Slan how to spawn more Slan. So remembering the Slan lost on the old world would require the Slan to "learn the folds" from scratch with no starting point and no pre-existing method for learning how to make a creature the old ones didn't teach them how to make.

Also the Slan were never all that social. They might not be able to remember many details about their fellow Slan.

9. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I chuckled at that one lol

IggyStarhost and LizardWizard like this.