1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slann WiP thread (first off palanquin)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by strewart, Apr 24, 2009.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

With the suggestion of a warseer member and under an absinth induced fit of artistic inspiration, I decided to try making my Forgeworld Slann a palanquin made of pure energy, so he will be holding himself afloat. This involved a clear flying base and a lot of ink/wash then some careful painting, this is my first time painting lightning. I think it still needs to be shinier, but I'm too scared to try more ink yet. The ink rolled off most of the clear surface without an undercoat (I feel that would have ruined the effect) so I had to use several coats including blue wash and a mixture of ink with dishwashing liquid, an old technique to give the ink a much smoother finish and better coverage due to reduced surface tension.

Anyway... I am rambling. I present my Slann palanquin, and a pic of him unpainted on the palanquin.

slannpalanquin.jpg

slannonpalanquin.jpg

Thoughts?

2. kkboy
    Skink

kkboy Member

Totally love your mystic and magical painting. probably what you could do, is to ink only the edges of the lightningish energy to make it look like one big magical source. but these are just suggestions, I already love it the way it is!

3. Jim
    Skink

Jim New Member

really really like the idea and the base, looks awesome!

btw how much did u pay for your slann? im being offered one for £70 not sure if thats too much or not.

4. strewart
    OldBlood

50 pounds including postage to Australia... I wouldn't pay 70, that is a touch too much. They come up on ebay occasionally and usually go for around 50.

5. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

That's a very neat idea! Definitely makes him stand out amongst other slaan. :D Will the arcing energy be reflecting on the slaan? You can never have too much OSL effect. ;)

6. FrankenNerd
    Jungle Swarm

FrankenNerd New Member

where do I go to get a slann like that one?

7. Jaspar
    Saurus

Jaspar New Member

forgeworld model

8. diablarist
    Skink

diablarist New Member

ebay is your best bet

9. strewart
    OldBlood

Well this is my first attempt at this kind of lighting, so yes I will definitely try to have some of it glowing on the underside of the Slann. I am even considering making his belly covered in lightning too, but I am a bit worried he might blend into the base too much. What do you think?

As mentioned, it is a Forgeworld model. It is not made anymore though, and I believe it was a limited release for Games Day a few years ago anyway, so they are a bit rare. They do come up on ebay a bit, 40-50 pounds is about what you can expect to pay, if it goes too much higher hold off. Personally I found someone with one on Warseer and did a private sale there.

10. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

I have created a few PDF's of some of our techniques that we hand out at our Adeption paintig classes. I do have one for OSL, or Object Source lighting.

It is not super detailed, but it does give a hint as to how we do those effects.

Nowadays I will do very delicate drybrushing of the colors which are being reflected. I use some slightly waterd down GW glazes to hide that texture, and then go back to do the brightest lights.

11. strewart
    OldBlood

I tried googling that, but didn't find anything. Any link?

Sounds like a reasonably straight forward method, I might test it on a few smaller models first and get a bit of practice before tackling the big guy. :) I also have some lightning effect on my EotG, but it is still very much WiP and I am still messing around with either 2d or 3d lightning or both.

Any ideas for colour scheme for the Slann that will go well with this base? That is the main thing holding me back at the moment.

12. bryanabbo
    Saurus

bryanabbo New Member

13. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

If you PM me with your e-mail, I could send you some PDF's.

I am going to create some new ones that reflect the newer techniques at some point.

This picture shows the contrast of cooler greenish grey colors against the firey laval reflections.

CMONminiMultiviewRESIZE-1.jpg

In the case of your slaan, you would want him to have warm colors, so the cooler lightning color looks brighter. Warm greens and browns, or even reddish hues.

Hope that helps :D

14. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

I have a similar but different project planned strewart, I'll be cutting off the arm of a regular slann model and modeling a new arm holding a globe, which will be painted as a fiery ball. This, naturally, will light the slann's delightfully rotund belly and face.

Wapp I too would be grateful for any material you have regarding getting a satisfying glow, so I'm PM'ing you my email if that would be ok. I know this effect is normally done onto grey surfaces (like on that pic), so was wondering if doing it onto a skin surface with faded cold colours would be ok, or too difficult (grey-purple belly skin, grey-green normal skin on the slann, then a fiery glow (main opponent being WoC who will enjoy my fiery lore of metal).

15. strewart
    OldBlood

Given how cool Wap's OSL models are, I'm sure his tutorial will be fantastic, but keep in mind there are others out there as well. From what I can gather it is a sort of new technique which doesn't really have a lot known about it (as compared to say drybrushing or basic highlighting) so I think beyond learning the very basics of the technique, which is mostly physics, it is up to you to experiment on your own and see what you come up with. Personally I think it is more than possible to have OSL on any colour, but I am yet to try the technique, I have an old HE mage ligned up who I am patching up since you really need to have the model 'finished' before you add lighting to it, so hopefully in the next few days I will have tried it on several different surfaces as an experiment. Of course, I am saying this without having seen Wap's tutorial yet or having tried the technique for myself so I am more than happy to be proven wrong, from what I've read it is one of those things that sounds a lot harder than it actually is.

PS: Sorry for any bad spelling. I tried to proofread as usual, but too drunk to even read thsat block of text. :)

16. wappellious
    Temple Guard

wappellious New Member

PDF's sent :p

The PDF is of an ork, so maybe that will be helpful. I have done multiple colors of OSL.

Here's an example of cooler colors reflected onto warmer colors (sorry for the 40K stuff!)

SpecialWeaponGuardsmen_CadianMultiv.jpg

17. strewart
    OldBlood

Absolutely sweet. To look at, it feels like it should be so much more than a thin wash and a bit of highlighting of the main colour. I guess its pretty important to get the highlight at the right strength and in the right direction.

I've dug out an old HE mage to do a test run with his staff glowing a little, and maybe his sword glowing a lot if I feel up to it. Will post results when I get it done.