1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS So.... are Seraphon really that bad?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Aginor, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I'm hoping that the GHB 2 gives every unit in every faction +6 save against mortal wounds, they are OP.

Lachlin, Bowser and Aginor like this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

A lot of Mortal wound-abilities just flat out need to be reworked... The ark of sotek on a bastillidon isn't that bad, it can miss the priority target, or miss completly if there's less than 6 targets available. The mortal wounds on our Knights aren't bad, they require getting a charge of and rolling 6's. Some of the newer spells like tzeentch firestorm aren't to bad, they require a spell to succeed and not be unbound and then another roll to actually "hit". However, on the other hand you have stuff like a lord celestant which is just "roll d6 dice, if it's higher than a 4 you deal a mortal wound and there's literally no way to stop this attack apart from not being in range"

A 6+ save against it will help a lot in making them less "free" damage, but unless they fix some of the worst abilities to not just be near guaranteed and actually allow for counterplay these will Always be terrible to deal with.

Bowser, Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I agree and when you put Seraphon on paper against nearly every other faction we have the fewest ways to cause mortal wounds.

Adding +6 save to the GHB is a fast and cost effective method in fact they could just publish it as a amendment in a PDF.

I think they relised how OP mortal wounds are and have started adjusting the balance with the newer books but Stormcast are Meh!
    But I hope we do get a new Seraphon book we were lucky to be the first new race but now we are suffering.

Bowser and Aginor like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yeah, it really seems that the current meta strongly favours armies that are either doing many mortal wounds, or have some defense against them.
    Point in case: Stonehorns and Mournguls.

I somehow don't see that kind of mortal wound save coming, but I think I'd like that change (or if there was at least a spell or something available to all factions to achieve this).

Bowser likes this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Another big issue is that mortal wounds are good against everything.

Heavily armoured target? Mortal wound ignores his save
    Lightly armoured target? Who cares, mortal wound is just as deadly.

Some of the abilities like for example the lord celestant have literally nothing you can do against them. You can't interupt the ability like you can do with spells, you can't prevent the triggering situation from happening like you can do with saurus Knights, you can't make it harder by lowering the roll with a debuff, you can't save it, you can't even send in cannonfodder to eat the initial blow. It's just there as long as the Guy's in range and alive.

The following is needed:

• Add in a general save mechanic - this will stop it from being good against everything. Against cannonfodder it'd make it just a "normal" attack, but against heavily armoured targets it'd actually be the powerfull attack it's intended to be
    • Add in interactions for abilities (imagine unbinding but for abilities) so opponents can send in a counter-unit to interfere
    • Stop making abilities that just trigger, make them require some sort of situation (e.g. unit needs to charge, or stand still this turn etc.)

Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  6. Crowsfoot
    Slann

They might just increase the point value of Mortal wound units, I hope they don't.

Bowser likes this.
  7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh.. that'd barely be a bandaid solution... that'd either result in no significant chance or models suddenly becoming so expensive that they are no longer useful... plus it'd screw even further with wizards.

8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I know but GW have done stranger things.

Wizards cast multiple spells and are feared, AOS don't have that it has the Wizards apprentice only capable of casting one spell and getting wrong often.

Shawry and Bowser like this.
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Fair enough :p