1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some of my Lizardmen (Updated with a Cold One)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by AllSeeingSkink, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

I think using just one Thunderwolf to represent the two wolves normally pulling the chariot would be cool. With a chariot attached, that is.

I agree about the common goblins though, I really hope they will get around to replacing them as I would love to have some. I have piles of the ugly buggers that are really only good for bits. I hope their shield arms fit my Temple Guard at least.

There have been rumours about new Goblins, but too vague to be much to hope for yet.

2. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

I'm mocking up some chariots. Kinda like harness horse racing... except with a friggin massive wolf instead of a horse and a bunch of squeeling goblins instead of a jockey :D One problem is that the Wolves are quite long from nose to tail, I can't find a position where the Goblins aren't being knocked off the chariot by the Wolf's tail.

I am liking the chariot idea though, the more I picture it in my head the more I like it. 3 ginormous wolves in an Orc and Goblin army with a bunch of smaller wolves for goblin wolf riders just sounds awesome. :)

It'll all be magneted together so I can use the wolves in my Space Wolf army as well.
    I hope they do, I like Night Goblins, though honestly I prefer common Goblins... it's just Night Goblins have better models (and fanatics!).

If I make these chariots, I'll just use magnets to attach the Goblins, on the off chance GW decide to bring out new Common Goblin models.

3. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Here's the Thunderwolf Chariot.

It's amazingly fiddly to make, taking me way longer than I thought, spend ages just trying to square things up so it looks proper. Lining up the beams that lead from the chariot to the wolf, the chains and the harness bit took agggggges to get right and it still doesn't look proper. This is the first of 3, and it still needs a going over with some greenstuff to clean bits up and add some more detail like quivers and things. The other 2 I need to source some chariot wheels, I only had 1 boar chariot which I hacked up, so need 4 more wheels for the other chariots. Could sculpt some myself, but it's just time consuming.

photo4ah.jpg
    photo3kl.jpg
    photo2gtw.jpg
    photo1fiv.jpg

I'm not sure about 4 Goblins in the chariot. By default it comes with 3, and for 5pts more you can upgrade to 4, which is useful since it gives you and extra WS2 S4 attack on the charge. But 4 is just very crowded. This is one of the larger chariots of the three I'm making, so the other 2 it's gonna be even more of a struggle to comfortably fit 4 goblins into them.

4. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Looking good!

I like my Goblins crowded, both in units and vehicles. That said, you can always put the fourth crewman on the wolf or the yoke.

5. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

that's an awesome conversion mate, can't wait to see it painted.

WRT the chariot wheels, have you thought about getting some instant mold? Then you'd be able to make as many wheels as you need.

6. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

Yup, I reckon crowded goblins is best. Makes me think of a bunch of kids crammed in the back of the car "are we there yet?"

7. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Nifty, never heard of that stuff before. Unfortunately I've already started sculpting the wheels :p I'm just using 25mm round bases from 40k, filling the hollow bit with greenstuff and then sculpting it into wood panels (which is pretty easy to do, I have no great sculpting skills!) then sculpting the metal band around the rim of the wheel. Not sure what to do with the flat side of the base, might just sand it and paint it dark brown and hope no one notices or something, lol, or maybe put some metal straps across it.

8. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I just ordered some Instant Mold online, I cannot wait to play around with it. My first project with it is to convert an Ogre Scraplauncher/Cannon from the leftover bits in that kit (along with some extra bits that I have ordered on ebay). Hoping to make 2 cannons and a scraplauncher.

I also have a old unit of dark elves that have this weird sword piece that i Have lost all but 1 or 2 of. I want to make copies of that to repair them.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Nice! That chariot looks awesome!

I know what you mean about it being a pain to attach it to the beast nicely... I am making giant bear chariots for my chaos army and really struggling with the design of the chariot.

10. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Yeah I looked at a lot of chariot designs and harness racing designs before I decided on that one. The chains are a bit weird because if the wolf stops running the chariot/goblins would get slung forward as the chains go slack then suddenly go back into tension... but I needed something to attach the chariot to the wolf and had some spare chains from a peasant bowmen kit and thought it'd look cool.

One thing that'd make life a lot easier and quicker is something to cut things square and at precise angles. Lining things up with just a knife and my eye is making things take a lot longer. I've fabricated more complicated components out of steel for real life race cars in less time than it's taking me make these chariots out of plastic :p

11. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

I've finished sculpting the chariot wheels for the other 2 chariots. They're essentially "scratch" built, though I started with a few 40k 25mm base to ensure they ended up round and flat instead of oval shaped and warped, and for the bottom ones used some hacked up goblin shields for the cross beams.

Figured I'd do 1 "over the top" set with lots of random gobliny bits attached and 1 "plain" set, so they'd look natural next to the boar chariot wheels on the 3rd chariot.

photo2ors.jpg

They don't look quite as nice from the back, but hopefully it won't stand out much once it's all stuck together and painted...

photo1lz.jpg

Once the chariots are all together I'll glue some circular "hub" bits on the outside of the wheels. Since it's going to be a unit of 3 chariots, I can't put scythes on the wheels as they won't rank up.

12. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Nice looking wheels! Good work.

Are gobbo chariots allowed to be in units now?

13. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Yeah I believe so, I haven't played a game in years but I try and keep all the units I paint legal incase I ever do want to play with them :D They're fielded in units of 1-3. So it's a bit of a glass cannon unit, rather expensive, not tremendously hard to kill, but if you can get the entire unit to survive long enough to charge you're looking at 3D6+3 impact hits, 12 Ws2 S4 attacks from the gobbos with spears and 6 Ws3 S3 attacks from the wolves.

14. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Did someone say random zombie? :D

...they didn't? Oh... here's one anyway!

photo2vxe.jpg
    photo3qyc.jpg

For some reason this guy just didn't want to be photographed, really struggled to get the camera to focus and get it to adjust on the colour properly. It kept focusing and adjusting on what was behind the model instead of the model itself.

It was a prototype speedpaint for perhaps maybe possibly a Vampire Counts army. It took about 25 minutes to do (not including waiting for things to dry), which is a bit too long if I plan to paint a whole army. Would want to be pumping out at least 4 or 5 an hour to make it worth while.

EDIT: Oh, and the final wash on that Zombie is the 3/5 Agrax/Nuln Oil mix which I'm now using as a replacement for Devlan Mud on all but my Tyranids.

15. Zorack
    Skink

Zorack New Member

Is the devlan mud discontinued? Or just not a big fan of it?

EDIT: Just found the conversion scheme for the new colour range, Agrax is the replacement for Devlan Mud, but its not the same?

PS. i love devlan mud!

16. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Yea, I have seen that the new version is shinier than the old devlin mud.

17. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Yeah they discontinued Devlan. Agrax is far more of a lighter yellowy brown and Devlan is actually a very dark brown. I did a comparison over in the New GW Paints thread, here's a link to it...

http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?p=70864#p70864

I should take some better pictures in daylight with a better camera, it's hard to see the differences in these images but in real life they're very apparent.

Devlan vs Agrax (Hormagaunt on left is Devlan)
    agrax.jpg

Devlan vs Agrax:Nuln 6:4 mix (approximately)
    64agraxnuln.jpg

Devlan vs Agrax:Nuln 3:5 mix (approximately)
    35agraxnuln.jpg

The 3:5 mix is close to Devlan, not close enough for my Tyranids who use Devlan over white for their flesh for gaunts and Devlan over bone for the bigger critters which is why I'm saving my few last pots of Devlan for my 'nids... however for things like my Orcs and now my Zombies, I think it's close enough to Devlan to be a good replacement. It does give a very similar "all purpose wash" effect just like Devlan used to do.

I wouldn't say "shinier", as it still gives a very solid matt finish, it's just not as dark of a tone.

18. Zorack
    Skink

Zorack New Member

I think my old hobyy store still got loads of Devlan Mud, i should buy it off there hands then!

19. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

After mixing this Agrax and Nuln, I'm happy with the effect and aren't stressing about needing Devlan anymore as it gives basically the same effect... it's just for my 'nids I want to stick to Devlan since I don't want the slight change in tone which arises because you can never quite get the exact same colour.

My plan is just to buy another pot of Agrax and another pot of Nuln and pour almost all the Agrax straight into the Nuln (or maybe be slightly more precise and use a dropper to measure it out into an old pot).

EDIT: I retook the photo in natural light. Hormagaunt is Devlan Mud, Genestealer on left is Agrax, Stealer on right is 3:5 Agrax:Nuln, Stealer in the middle is 3:2 Agrax:Nuln.

agraxvdev.jpg

I think to get even closer to Devlan it needs a tiny little bit of red mixed in, though in reality the 3:5 mix is a pretty close match as it is, you only really notice there because it's done over a white undercoat which highlights the very slight differences in colour tone. Over any other colour I don't think you'd notice the difference between the Devlan and the 3:5 mix.

20. AllSeeingSkink
    Temple Guard

AllSeeingSkink Member

Been getting back to the Lizardmen a bit, painted up another 10 skinks and my last sally...

photo2jfc.jpg

I need to decide on a colour for the eyes, I'm thinking of grabbing a pot of the new Averland Sunset for the eyes, though I'm not sure how bright it is, it looks quite bright in images I've seen (which is what I want), but I know previous "yellow" foundations were actually quite dull and brownish.

His claws probably need a bit more love as well.

The gold was done with the new Balthasar Gold, a wash of Agrax then highlighted with Shining Gold.

Still working on the Skink Handlers.