1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*SPOILERS* - The Mandalorian Thread - *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The Night King was set up as an antagonist and a foil to John Snow and Arya kill sniped him. Also, reality seemed to bend around Arya in a very Mary Sue fashion.

If that was the only thing, I would not call it woke.

Sansa was pretty badass. That's still not a problem. My problem is that basically every male character became a useless tool and/or they died.

John Snow was emasculated. He spent a large part of the fight hiding and cowering from the undead dragon while Danyrs was burninating wights and the Lady Mormont had the single best death scene of any GoT character. He didn't do anything proactive for the entire last season. He just kept saying "She is my queen" over and over again until the surprise ending came out of left field.

Gendry really didn't do anything cool. He basically did whatever the women told him.

Greyworm sort of faded away when his love interest died.

Jaime Lannister's redemption arc was abandoned.

The priestess of the Red god seemed to get off easy. None of the Dothraki questioned the strange witch's present. Woke or not, every detail of the Battle of Winterfell was crap. Every detail was wrong.

Lord Verys and Tyrion took the idiot pill. They were defined by their shrewdness before but they constantly make dumb mistakes in the final two seasons.

The final council of all the surviving characters, basically every time a man who isn't Tyrion talks they get shut down by a strong woman.

I actually liked Clagaine Bowl. Few others did.

Killer Angel and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6. Scalenex
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Scalenex likes this.
  8. Scalenex
    Slann

I have Clownfish TV in the background a lot. Let me paraphrase their thoughts on the Star Wars brand.

A) Disney could realize that Mandalorian because it hearkens back to classic Star Wars. All future Star Wars projects could use the Mandalorian as a baseline and they pull the franchise out of it's nosedive.

B) Disney could panic and executive meddling could kill Mandalorian as they use their own successful portion of the franchise to try to prop up stuff from episode 7-9 or they could put Brie Larson in the show and kill it.

Clownfish TV predicts B.

There is an option for C, both. Disney could split the difference and try to change the Mandalorian to accommodate their new stuff while still trying to keep the stuff people liked. That would be almost as bad as B n my opinion.

I understand that controversy sells when it comes to entertainment media, but the leaks and rumors about Disney's Obi Wan series do not sound promising.

NIGHTBRINGER and DeathBringer125 like this.
  9. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

What leaks happened about the Obi Wan series, dare I ask...

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I agree with Clownfish TV

Their sliding Star Wars revenue would seem to indicate otherwise!

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

People really seem to really love this picture for memes...
    screen-shot-2020-04-12-at-3-55-18-pm.png

13. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Same here, please don't bugger it up Disney - if you can make something so annoyingly popular as Baby Yoda, surely you can do Obi Wan justice too?

But then given that they relegated what could have been the climax to that series (a final duel between Obi-Wan and Maul) to a side-scene in Rebels, it's unlikely that they could do anything worse with it.

14. Scalenex
    Slann

Originally it looked like Ewan McGregor was butting heads with the writers and producers.

He recently made a statement that the reporting was exaggerated.

Who knows. I'm just sensitive to that because when the original Star Wars cast butted heads with the writers and producers for the Disney fan fiction trilogy, bad things occurred.

15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

We should be ready to add Dune 2020 to the list.
    "the quality of the arcs for much of the women have been brought up to a new level"
    "Denis had stated to me was there was a lack of female characters in his cast, and he had always been very feminist, pro-women"
    "why can’t Kynes be a woman? Why shouldn’t Kynes be a woman?”
    "Think Greta Thunberg, only she's a jedi with a diploma from Hogwarts"

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. Scalenex
    Slann

I have wanted to take away @NIGHTBRINGER 's nerd credentials for not watching Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Well, you can threaten to take away my nerd credentials for never having watched Dune.

NIGHTBRINGER and Killer Angel like this.
  17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I would say this aspect is understandable, and if female characters are made out to be likeable and human and contribute well to the story, I personally am fine with it.

However, this is where it starts getting ridiculous. It’s essentially saying that a film’s protagonist can’t be male unless he’s an idiotic vegetable, and that males are little more than a slow and simple slave/warrior caste. Rather than fixing the problem of sexism, it’s simply turned the tables. Feminism is not the answer to this problem. Egalitarianism is the answer to this problem.

Greta Thunberg is more of a Grey Jedi, if not a Sith. She may seem like a glorious heroine with her save the planet campaigns, but I think she’s largely doing it just to have her name written down in history. She’s certainly willing to allow her followers to cause anarchy and chaos to promote her cause, which blackens it considerably, and shows a blatant disregard toward the remnants of established human civilisation. Also she never mentions the animals and plants of her world, only ‘her generation’. I probably count as part of that generation, but I despise her. Anyone who is willing to cause chaos or get other people to do it for them is contemptible, regardless of their cause, because they are too weak to know how to push their cause without causing such disruption.

What’s more, she fails to realise that society cannot be changed with a click of the fingers, it has to be done gradually, especially with modern infrastructure taking far longer to change than that of antiquity. She is an anarchistic, troublemaking child, nothing more, nothing less.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6301d347b4ab8a13c19a4770e45170a9.png

(For the record, I agree with you)

She is a puppet who is simply regurgitating the words fed to her by cowards working in the background. I hate seeing children being exploited as political shields (even obnoxious ones).

19. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

As annoying as she is, I see the benefit there. Obviously we needed someone like her. Scientists have been telling everyone about the facts for at least three decades now, and close to nobody listened.
    As sad as it is (and I don't even care if those words and opinions come from herself or anyone else, and what are her personal goals with it) at least that made a few of the politicians finally notice the topic. For the first time we see some change.

She has something in common with Elon Musk in that regard. He seems to be a narcissistic billionaire jerk who wants to build giant flying dicks and needlessly fast electric cars, and be known as _the_ space dude solely for his own personal pleasure and/or making money.
    He might not care about humanity at all.
    But without guys like him we would not have seen some of the positive developments we have seen, because he is either too stubborn or too dumb to care when someone tells him that something is impossible, and just tries anyway.

It is sad but it seems we need such people, even though they run into wrong directions at times.
    There is not a single person in world history that has only changed things for the better, and using the best ways to do so.
    (And also: if you want 5 you have to demand 10, because otherwise you will get 2.5)

Stupid humans.

20. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Which is basically the description of, like the 90% of teenagers.