1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*SPOILERS* - The Mandalorian Thread - *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Baby Yoda has three things going for him.

1) He's adorable
    2) He's mysterious
    3) He represents old school Star Wars in an environment that is desperate for old school Star Wars.

Number 1 will eventually get old, but that will take some time. Given that Mando and the environments they are in are so harsh it makes Yoda even cuter. I also like the Papa Wolf trope.

Number 2 is the problem long term. If the show continues through more seasons, eventually people will expect to get some more concrete information about Baby Yoda's origins, powers, goals, and what the Empire wants him for.

Same with Mando and the Mandalorians in general. There is a lot of appeal in the mystery factor.

The problem is the more we peel back the veil of mystery, the less appeal the characters will have.

The Mandalorian cannot coast on their initial success. I think they need to develop the main villain more. That's how they'll keep my interest anyway. They also need to keep Kathleen Kennedy and her followers away from it. Given that the series is the only piece of the Disney fanfic universe that has fan good will, everyone wants a piece of it and everyone wants their say.

Apparently Kathleen Kennedy was the first person to say "Mando should have a child to rescue and look after" but it was one of the show runners that came up with the idea of making it a Yoda baby which is the true mark of brilliance but Kennedy is bitter about not being given enough credit.

Even if SJW politics do not taint season 2 of the Mandalorian there is another problem that is likely for the next season. Even if everyone is intelligent and experienced, if four or five (or more) people working on a creative project, it will turn into a big mess. That's what happened to Suicide Squad. The directors and writers and producers weren't on the same page and they kept switching up directors, writers, and producers. Is this supposed to be deep or simple? Funny or serious? dark or light? If you try to do everything you end up doing nothing.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

download.jpg

I8p0YKg.jpg

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Yes. Personally I just think he’s a bit overrated, and that he’s ultimately going to be more detrimental than supplemental to the series, because people are only going to watch it now while he remains in it, and given that the series will likely turn into the single plot of getting Baby Yoda back to his family, we pretty much already know what the ending should be. If they decide not to end it there, people will most likely just give up and lose interest because the creators forgot that the main protagonist is supposed to be the Mandalorian himself and didn’t develop him enough to make him interesting after the initial ‘man of mystery’ novelty wears off. Rather than actually making the effort to develop the Mandalorian as anything beyond the ‘silent Clint Eastwood gunslinger’, and turning him into an especially likeable character that people will want to keep watching in the process, they’ve gone the cheap and easy route and just put in something visually cute to attract the masses, which, certainly at least in my opinion, won’t work in the long-term. It’s like the Ewoks and Porgs all over again (to be fair I thought the Porgs were decent, but it’s the principle of the thing). Remember the series is called The Mandalorian, not The Baby Yoda Show, even though everyone is soon going to associate it as the latter.

I haven’t actually seen the series yet, but this is the impression I’m getting from the discussions and fan obsession I have seen.

That’s a matter of opinion. To me he’s merely OK, and I’ve seen much more loveable things around.

At least with the aforementioned Tiny Sméagol we’d get some laughs out of him, but all Baby Yoda seems to do is stand or sit there making baby noises and using the odd force power when it suits him. I’d have traded that for making the Mandalorian more of an intriguing character any day

*Cough*Rogue One*Cough*

Surely it’s pretty obvious what the Empire want him for? Given that he’s Force-sensitive but they haven’t killed him, it’s most likely they want to train him as a Sith assassin or Inquisitor.
    Exactly, this is why they need to keep working on the characters to make them more interesting, rather than filling the whole series with Baby Yoda scenes.

Call me heartless if you like, but I just think the whole Baby Yoda idea has made the creators shoot themselves in the foot, because despite his initial popularity, he’s just going to get in the way of development of the main characters unless the creators do something about it.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
  4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Rogue One received a mediocre reception at best.

That's true that it is a matter of opinion, but it is an opinion shared by most. It is your opinion that is a deviation from the norm... which is fair and you are entitled to it. However, at least recognize it as such. Consequently, @Scalenex 's assertion that Baby Yoda is adorable is fair, correct and valid.

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Reviews by film critics or by audience?
    Because i saw a lot of people that consider the movie to be not only the only disney SW good one, but also the only one which (even with its undeniable weak points) can stand near the OT, as its great (but not only) merit is the fact that it's respectful and consistent with the source material.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Always the audience. Today's critics aren't worth spit.

At this point it is the best of the Disney SW movies... but what does that tell us? :D

Other than the boring characters (with the exception of K2), people still liked the movie (it's not bad), but it didn't receive the praise/hype that the Mandalorian did (which itself isn't a ground breaking show... it has some great episodes but also a lot of filler).

I'm not saying that it is a bad movie, but it is nowhere near the OT. The OT has a cast of characters that are iconic. Most people (outside of hardcore SW fans) can't even name the Rogue One characters.

DeathBringer125 likes this.
  7. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

I personally love the Mandalorian, I do like the slow pace though. It sort of remind me of Firefly in a way with the style. But yeah they definitely could ruin it. They need to find the balance between keeping the mystery and revealing the plot

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

maybe i was unclear, but i was saying it can stand near the OT because it stands true to the original source. The characters you see in RO are faithful to the "true" ones, and they are treated in a respectful way. There's no discontinuity between them.
    On the upside I'd say that the action scenes in RO are even far better than the ones in the OT, and on the downside certainly the characters are not memorable at all, but that was not my point.

9. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I'd agree with you that Rogue One is faithful to the OT. The Disney Trilogy by contrast, completely shit on the established Star Wars lore.

Both the Mandalorian and Rogue One have an old school Star Wars vibe to them.

10. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Actually I think you’re wrong here, as far as I can see both the Mandalorian and Rogue One had one particular element that caused hype (Rogue One has the Darth Vader scene and the Mandalorian has Baby Yoda), and the rest of both is seen by everyone to be OK but not fantastic. Yes there are some This is the Way and I have Spoken memes, but you also have K2 and Chirrut memes. Also like with Rogue One, the names of the Mandalorian characters aren’t exactly ones that non-hardcore Star Wars fans can remember by heart. From this I think both were given about the same level of good (for Disney) reception.
    To be honest it’s especially unfair to compare Rogue One, which is only a single film, to the OT which has 3. I imagine people would have grown to appreciate the Rogue One characters a lot more if they had been built up in a trilogy with them all dying at the very end. If you want to compare Rogue One to the OT, it would be better to compare it to Episode IV alone because that’s where everyone is introduced. To be honest Episode IV alone has around the same level of development as Rogue One (only the protagonist and one or two others get any real development, the others just tag along for the ride).

What’s more, I’d say it’s unlikely any of the characters in the Mandalorian would be given the level of ‘iconic’ that the OT and Prequels characters have except the protagonist and Baby Yoda. I can just see all the others being as forgettable as the Rogue One characters, sadly.

Agreed, the action scenes in Rogue One whip the ones in the Original Trilogy by a mile (in my view everything in Rogue One whips everything in the Original Trilogy, but obviously a lot of other people are more easily pleased by silly 70s Flash Gordon remakes than I am).

And as @Killer Angel says, what I meant when I first mentioned Rogue One is that, like the Mandalorian, it is an example of Disney Star Wars media that doesn’t have much involvement from KK and is faithful to traditional Star Wars, and people do respect it for that. What’s more, if Disney continue to make stuff in this way, they could salvage some of the respect they lost due to the Sequel Trilogy.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Let's be perfectly honest; Han, Luke, Leia, Obi-Wan and Vader were FAR more memorable in episode IV alone than any of the Rogue One characters. Those characters are celebrated the world over, while Rogue One is specifically criticized for its dull characters.

That is hardly a fair comparison as there was roughly 40 years between their production/release. For it's time, the OT was revolutionary in terms of effects and space battles. It pushed the entire industry forward (similar to what the first Jurassic Park did). There was absolutely nothing revolutionary about Rogue One... for its day, it was just another movie.

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

15. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

18. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

A theme for a real Mandalorian

Scalenex likes this.
  19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Nah, Jango Fett all the way - the last of the True Mandalorians, killer of Jedi and template of the Army of the Republic. Beats some graffiti artist kid any day

20. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Last of the True Mandalorians!?

F5E36DDA-BB4B-45CB-B4FA-A203169D91D8.png

3101CA65-3867-40B6-954D-CA9954F35D30.png

I’m afraid these two beg to differ!