1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Stürmer's Army Lists

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Wilhelm Stürmer, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Play the objective game, try to keep out of range etc, use the rippers to wipe heros.

2. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Wilhelm Stürmer Well-Known Member

Ok, so the additional range and roll hit isn't worth it. A unit can be up to 4x of the base unit size, correct? So, 6x Rippers can be a single unit.

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Yep:D

4. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

I'm honestly not sure if there will be an objective in 750pts, but I take your meaning. Here's two more lists based on input from y'all:

LIST 1
    Allegiance: Seraphon
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)
    1 x Razordons (40)
    Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
    Suffocating Gravetide (30)
    Prismatic Palisade (30)
    Quicksilver Swords (20)

Total: 750 / 750
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 200
    Wounds: 45

LIST 2
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    20 x Skinks (180)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Shadowstrike Starhost (180)
    Suffocating Gravetide (30)
    Prismatic Palisade (30)

Total: 750 / 750
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 200
    Wounds: 52

Again, I like the potential ranged protection that the Gravetide can offer. With only one spell cast, the first list is likely not to see both Endless Spell get cast, but the Razordons could be useful in taking out his Sisters or Gladeguard. The second list gets me +1 HIT on the Skink unit of 20 and more bodies.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
    Vroomer and LizardWizard like this.
  5. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Actually, I just reread the wording for Gravetide. Seems like Palisade is a much better option.

Also, as a reminder, my opponent will be bringing:

Allegiance: Wanderers
    Waywatcher (120)
    - General
    10 x Sisters of the Watch (180)
    20 x Glade Guard (240)
    3 x Kurnoth Hunters (200)
    - Scythes
    - Allies

Total: 740 / 750
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 200 / 200
    Wounds: 50

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Palisade is really good for interfering with enemy movement and for blocking line of sight. It is under utilized in my opinion.

Wilhelm Stürmer likes this.
  7. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Another question: Since my opponent is not bringing any casters, is the Starpriest notably better than the Priest? I can see a good bit of benefit to a Priest with Master of Star Rituals and Priestly Trappings. Heck, even the Cloak of Feathers.

My thinking here is that the Starpriest is going to attempt to cast Summon Starlight, nearly every turn. Serpent Staff sould be useless, as Skinks don't have the attack it benefits. As a General, I'd likely take Master of Star Rituals to be able to use Celestial Rites. Summon Starlight is a great spell, but I still have to cast it. The Priest could move with the Skinks, maintaining 8" distance from both units and have Celestial Rites on them the entire game. I could then either use MoSR and get the Ability twice, or use Nimble and help to keep him alive. Whichever leader I pick, I think Gryph-feather Charm is likely the Artefact to use.

Oh... well, there is the downside of losing the Palisade if bring the Priest...

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

750pt Battle Report:

So, once again I made some critical mistakes in the battle. We know each others army composition going in and turns 1 - 3 basically ended up with my opponent turtling and me positioning Skinks and the Starpriest in what I thought could be useful positions. I even successfully cast the Palisade to allow for an advance on his turtling army. In these turns, I lost 2 Skinks from the unit of 20 and (not surprisingly) did no damage with the Bolt-spitters.

Beginning of Turn 4, I decided to attack. It was obvious that he would not be deploying his forces. Here's where the mistakes happened: I rolled a 4 on LoS&T to move the unit of 18 Skinks to 9" away from the left side of his forces, but completely forgot to buff them with Celestial Rites and Summon Starlight beforehand; Mistake 1

Mistake 2: I brought in the Ripperdactyls and made sure to declare they made a swooping dive... to fight the Kurinoth Hunters. Why, you might ask, was this a mistake? Because they have an ability that they can declare when charged that allows them to re-roll ALL Save rolls. So of the 30 wounds I made (more than twice needed to kill the unit), only 8 got through, leaving 2 of 3 models still on the board.

Mistake 3: At this point all my Skinks were in LoS to shoot. I even remarked about it... THEN I COMPLETELY FORGOT TO SHOOT and went into charge phase.

Mistake 4: I completely forgot that the Starpriest had Gryph-feather charm thoughout the game. No additional movement or hit roll modifiers applied.

Mistake 5: I poorly positioned my Starpriest in an effort to keep him in cover, such that I was unable to utilize The Trap is Sprung.

The rest of the game is not really worth mentioning. He easily tabled me in his Turn 4. Arrows that blot out the sun will do that. To some degree, Mistakes 3 & 4 were irrelevant. In Turn 4, I MIGHT have been able to get some damage through and plinked a couple Sisters of the Watch or Glade Guard, but it wouldn't have made that much of a difference. And by the time my Starpriest would have been able to utilize the Artefact, the rest of the army would have been decimated.

Mistakes 2 & 5 though, were big. We discussed it afterwards, and I should have brought the Rippers in on one or both of the archer units, while using the teleported Skink unit to tarpit the Kurnoth and maybe an archer unit. The outcome of that fight would likely have seen me in a much better place by the end of turn 4. Also, not having The Trap is Sprung in play definitely helped his survivability.

Hopefully, hindsight will educate me. I'm definitely still a novice at playing Seraphon and have a real knack for forgetting important spells and abilities. Even with my cheat sheets. I need to improve on this or I'll keep making mistakes that will cost me games. Fortuantely, 1000 points and on will be objective based. I'm planning to bring this same army, adding a Slann and substituting Quicksliver Swords for the Palisade.

Aginor and LizardWizard like this.
  9. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

1000pt battle is coming up. I don't know the name of the battleplan, but it has two objectives that don't matter until Turn 3. At the beginning of this turn, if either army controls both objectives, that player wins. If not, it progresses to turn 4 & 5, until that objective is met or end of game and points/wounds are calculated.

My plan is to use the Slann to summon in something that will be survivable and possible cause trouble for all his archers. I plan to use 3x units of Skinks as screens for the Slann, as he will be able to teleport his units to any board edge, 9" from my units, but wholly within 6" of the edge. I'll try to position my Starpriest so as to buff the Rippers. I want them in no later than Turn 2, I think.

Is summoning a valid tactic at this point level? Looking at the table, I'm not sure if I'll be able to generate enough points to make use of summoning. The Slann can sacrifice spell casts for points, correct? How else do they accrue?

LizardWizard likes this.
  10. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

The best plan would be to run 1k Shadowstrike, but I think the Slann summoning list is more fun. Both are viable.

Vroomer likes this.
  11. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Could you expound on the summoning being viable? Am I wrong about getting 3 points per turn? Would there be a means to increase that amount and have more summoning availability?

Helps if I read the rules... so, a Slann, that is also a General, gets 3 Summoning Points per unused spell cast, plus 1 at the end of each Hero Phase. With an Astrolith Bearer, that additional 1 becomes D3. I need to work on some additional lists for 1k now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
    Vroomer, LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

That would help :D

13. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Had my 1000 pt game. Still playing the same guy and his Wanderers army. We played the Knife to the Heart objective map. I think I improved, but still definitely made some mistakes.

Turn 1: I had fewer drops (Slann & Shadowstrike) so chose for myself to go first. I deployed my two groups of Skinks as screens against his Sisters of the Watch, while also keeping the unit of 20 within 6" of my objective. He deployed his Waywatcher, Spellweaver, unit of 30 Glade Guard, and unit of Kurnoth Hunters on his objective with the Sisters on a board edge. I setup the Blot Toad next to the Glade Guard, but didn't deploy them in Turn 1. I banked 10 Summoning points for the Slann and got successful rolls from Starpriest. Also, got The Sage's Staff Constellation. No combat occurred.

Turn 2: I won the roll and decided to bring in the Rippers. They deleted the 30 Glade Guard. My opponent brought in the Pendulum on his Turn 2 and that along with the Sisters and Waywatcher destroyed the Rippers. I again banked the summoning points. Now at 20.

Turn 3: With my glass cannon gone, I moved the Slann inside a terrain piece for cover bonus. I banked 2 spells, successfully cast his Light of the Heavens, and summoned a Solar Engine Bastilidon. Here was my first mistake: I deployed the Bastilidon with the intention of teleporting him into a position where the SE could inflict damage on his Waywatcher. I rolled a 1 and due the deployment, my opponent was able to summon back the Pendulum and inflict 3 of 4 MW on it (for most of the game my casting and despell rolls were crap). My 2nd mistake was to forget about Great Rememberer and attempt another teleport on my unit of 20 Skinks near his objective. Had I been able to do that, I would have won the game, as I would have 20 models to his 5 at the objective at the end of my turn.
    On my opponents turn, his Sisters teleported to within shooting distance of the Slann. The Slann was wholly within cover and I made sure to utilize his CA each turn, as it allows for re-rolls of all failed Saves in the shooting phase for all Seraphon within 10". This CA saved my bacon several times. I saved all for all wounds made to the Slann. While I couldn't seem to cast or dispel, my save rolls were on fire. He did manage to inflict one more wound with the Waywatcher on the Basti.

The rest of the game can be summarized: I rolled trash on the Solar Engine and only killed 2 of the 10 Sisters. I teleported the Basti behind the Waywatcher and Kurnoth and failed to inflict any damage. While the Basti had managed to shrug off death from dozens of arrows, the Sisters were finally able to kill it. The Basti's death game my opponent the game, as up to that point I was winning on unit cost value killed.

I'm still using cheat sheets, but I am beginning to remember rules for my army so that's a plus! On to 1250! Any advice??

Aginor and LizardWizard like this.
  14. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

In terms of play advice I would suggest spending time planning your deployment phase. It is generally the most important part of the game. Try to work out some concepts for feigns and make use of Great Remember to cause your opponent to deploy units in unfavorable locations. Save your Screen and/or Chafe units for later into deployment so that you are able to line them up with his heavy hitters.

You can split deploy any Battalion. Meaning that you can deploy any section of it in any number of drops. You don't have to place it all simultaneously or singularly. So if you know the number of drops then let your opponent place all but one unit before you. This will give you the most information during set up. Deploying things like your Rippers in the Sky and Chameleon Skinks in ambush as your first selections can cause psychological stress for your opponent while presenting them with very little information to formulate a strategy.

Always try to be the one setting the tempo. If you can continually apply pressure to your opponent you stand a strong chance of winning. My personal experience has taught me that Shadowstrike is best when on the aggressive. Don't wait till turn two to drop Rippers unless absolutely necessary. If you do want to wait a turn to deploy your Rippers than you should cede the first turn of the game.

Perhaps your list for 1250 could look something like this:

- Mortal Realm: Ulgu

LEADERS:
    Slann Starmaster
    (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait : Great Rememberer
    - Artefact : Miasmatic Blade

Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact : Spellmirror

UNITS:
    40 x Skinks (240)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Javelin & Star Bucklers
    3 x Razordons (120)

BATTALIONS:
    Shadowstrike Starhost
    (180)

ENDLESS SPELLS:
    Quicksilver Swords
    (20)

TOTAL: 1240/1250
    EXTRA COMMAND POINTS: 1
    WOUNDS: 88

If you don't have access to the Razordons and Endless Spells then I would take some Chameleon Skinks.

Aginor, Vroomer and Wilhelm Stürmer like this.
  15. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

@LizardWizard Thanks for the advice on setup. I was operating off the idea that being first to drop was better as it allowed for first movement and probably focused too much on that.

Looking at your list suggestion and based on reading other threads here, it seems pretty obvious I need to get some Razordons. Should I focus on any particular units for summoning?

Also, what is your reasoning for the unit of 10 Skinks to be equipped with Javelins?

16. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Any feedback on the above questions would be greatly appreciated.

17. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

For summoning it is almost always safe to bring on additional Skinks. Razordons, Salamander, Ripperdactyls, and Terradons are also strong summoning options. Generally, it is not worth summoning on any of the monsters or behemoths from our army with the exception of the Dreadsaurus (because Dreadsaurians!).

I like the Javelins for 10 man Skinks after the changes to Weary Fighter no longer being usable while still claiming objectives. It means you are less likely to always make use of weary fighter and more likely to have to stay in combat. I generally only take them in this particular list though. I haven't run Thunderquake since the Skink change though. So perhaps it would be worth running javs in TQ as well.

Aginor, Vroomer and Wilhelm Stürmer like this.
  18. Schwaaah
    Saurus

Schwaaah Active Member

Question: Why can't you use wary fighter and still claim objectives? I thought you just needed the models to be within x" of the objective? Am I missing an FAQ or rules update?

19. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

It was a very recent rules change for the Tournament scenes. All the ITC events and presumably the GW hosted events (since they normally follow suite) stated that you can't use Wary fighter while using the same unit to claims objectives. This was to stop 10 man units from charging and then using wary fighter to jump to the back field objectives and over swarm more elite units of 5 like Blightkings, Liberators, Chaos Warriors ect. There were a significant number of order armies bringing 10 man skinks just for objective stealing.

Schwaaah likes this.
  20. Schwaaah
    Saurus

Schwaaah Active Member

Gotcha. I was asking cuz I checked the warscroll on their website and through the app and couldn't find anything about that. That rule change is kind of a shame :(

LizardWizard likes this.