1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Stürmer's Battle Reports

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Wilhelm Stürmer, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yes, pretty much.
    I believe the reasoning behind the list is that a Slann with Cogs + balewind is a summoning machine, and playing at 1000 pts it can shift the balance… which can be true, but it needs points investment (the Slann, the priest, the endless spells)… with the needed battlelines, the starting "fighting" units will be based on 440 pts, so they are much weaker then the enemy's army.

Lizerd and Canas like this.
  2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I do hope we'l get a better summoning mechanic soon. One that actually involves using our slann as opposed to having him sit in a corner doing nothing. It'd be vastly more interesting, both for us and our opponents & we'd no longer be paying 500 points worth of taxes each game just to use one of our most powerfull mechanics.

Lizerd and Killer Angel like this.
  3. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Wilhelm Stürmer Well-Known Member

I suppose, though at 1K I think that's true of a lot of lists. Heck Shadowstirke at 1K is even more fragile. I think the list was decent, I just didn't pre-measure well enough. You're right about the Twist card, though. In fact that whole game was pretty well set against Seraphon's strengths.

I wouldn't say I had magical supremacy, that was in the Fyreslayer game. Flesh Hounds can dispell and unbind, as can any Khorne hero, as long as there are 2 or 3 Blood Tithe points available. Additionally, the Starpriest was never in range of the Bloodthirster and I only ever cast with the Slann if I am comfortable with the current summoned units on the board. By the time the Slann was in range of the Bloodthirter, it was his T4. Had he gone into T5, I might have cast at him, but I likely would have simply used LoSaT to get out of combat.

Agreed on Kroak. I've never played the unit, but he seems to be a pretty clear remnant of a game that used to be.
    What's most amusing to me about the Slann attack in this game is that it managed to do more damage to the Bloodthirster than it got in return! :D

(Que nerdy kid with acne filled face and head gear) AHCKCHEWLY... part of the reason the organizer started this league was to encourage people to paint. This is only week 3 and only my 2nd time at the "league night". There's been definitive improvement in most of the armies I've seen, including my own. :p I am slow painter though, so I do appreciate that the league is giving me incentive to sit down and paints several nights a week, once my three kids are finally in bed, anyway.

Lizerd likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

True, but I think that in the case of a shadowstrike it's even more noticeable as rippers are a pure glass-canon & you have literally nothing to back it up but skinks. Just compare it with that Khorne list. The bloodthirster is definitly the star of the show. But at least all it's other stuff can achieve something on their own, and there's even some synergy between them. You just have a skink screen and a slann sitting in a corner praying to get points to summon.

That's 1 regular dispell/unbind and a very costly unbind with his blood tithe points. More than worth the risk imho (admittadly, now he didn't use his tithe points at all, so you wouldn't really have gained anything by making him "waste" points).
    It depends a bit on what the realm spells were you actually had acces to, but it feels like this particular battle definitly could've benefited from more spellcasts as opposed to summoning. Especially seeing as several of your summons proceeded to immeadiatly get slaughtered without achieving much.

As for the bloodthirster being out of range.. well that's just lame :p

That is indeed rather surprising, you'd expect a bloodthirster to do more.

I get the idea, it just surprises me that apparently everyone has the same trouble painting. I'd expect some of the players to not need to put their kids to bed :p

Lizerd likes this.
  5. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

@Canas Hysh has some great realm spells and I do wish I'd had more opportunity to use them. In my report against Tzeentch, I did attempt Banishment 3 or 4 times and failed every time, but getting off the +1 to hit on Missile weapons on the Flesh Hounds was fantastic.

The Tzeentch player in this area does have a nearly full painted army and it's brilliant. Unfortunately, he's elected to take a break from the game. :(

Canas and Lizerd like this.
  6. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Very interesting reports. I think a few things can come out from this
    1. Fyreslayers need nerf.

Alright said a bit. Onto seraphon! So while the list is capable of dealing a lot of damage, I must emphasize the word capable. Razordons are not a 100% guarantee, but 48 potential wounds is formidable (best case scenario). Something similar can be said about the ripperdactyls with high potential damage but worrying inconsistency. There is also a notable lack of rend which means heavy armor per targets are hard to deal with.

Arguably the greatest worry I have for this list is the fact that it doesn’t really seem capable of taking much damage in return. The best save in the army is a 4+ and that is for the razordons which should not be in combat. The crucial ripperdactyls have a 5+ meaning a few bad saves can cripple damage output. My best suggestion is maybe buff up the skink screen and increase the number of razordons.

So is this a bad list? No, to the contrary it is a very good list but it does have issues, and critical reviews are far more helpful than nothing.

Wilhelm Stürmer likes this.
  7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

On the contrary, it’s Seraphon who need a buff to be able to do anything against the new armies. Come on GW what are you doing?

I’m certainly loving Fyreslayers where they are now. Interesting list your opponent took - I still think a Runefather on Magmadroth should be an auto-include in any list for 1000 points or higher, but in this case it worked out well anyway as choosing a Runefather on foot left him with more points to bring as many infantry as possible. It’s great to see Hearthguard Berzerkers having been transformed into proper elite infantry now that can wreck pretty much anything.

Lizerd likes this.
  8. Killer Angel
    Slann

Indeed. I don't like the power escalation that AoS is experiencing right now, but it's not possible to tone down the most recent battletomes, so it's a matter to rise the power of the other armies, to make them able to compete seriously.

9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, that does still kinda mean they need a nerf, just that they're not the only ones needing one :p

In all seriousness though, killing 9 rippers, 1 razordon and 20 skinks in one turn is somewhat excessive. That's 40 wounds, which'd require around 70 succesfull attacks (on average). Even with the twist giving +1 attack that seems excessive, even for the output of his entire army, especially seeing as they don't seem to have an option for ridiculous synergies, like skeletons having 500+ attacks with the right buffs.

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

That sums perfectly my feelings on the matter.

Lizerd and Canas like this.
  11. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Two quick battle reports, both against my friend Gwendar's FEC. Both are for the Escalation league at 1250 MPP. We were supposed to be playing in the realm of Shyish, but I goofed and said it was in Ulgu.

Escalation League
    1250 MPP in Shyish, Game 1
    Seraphon vs Flesh Eater Courts
    Allegiance: Seraphon
    Mortal Realm: Ulgu

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Trait: Great Rememberer
    - Artefact: Doppelganger Cloak
    Skink Starpriest (80)
    - Artefact: Miasmatic Blade

Battleline
    20 x Skinks (120)
    - Boltspitters & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    4 x Razordons (160)
    6 x Ripperdactyl Riders (280)

Battalions
    Shadowstrike Starhost (180)

Endless Spells / Terrain
    Chronomantic Cogs (60)
    Balewind Vortex (40)

Total: 1240 / 1250
    Extra Command Points: 1
    Allies: 0 / 200
    Wounds: 71

Allegiance: Flesh Eater Courts
    - Grand Court: Court of Delusion - The Feast Day
    Mortal Realm: Ghur

Leaders
    Abhorrant Archregent (200)
    - General
    - Trait: Dark Wizardy
    - Lore of Madness: Spectral Host

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Terrorgheist (400)
    - Artefact: Gryph-feather Charm
    - Lore of Madness: Blood Feast
    - Mount Trait: Gruesome Bite

Abhorrant Ghoul King on Royal Zombie Dragon (440)
    - Lore of Madness: Blood Feast

Battleline
    10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)
    10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

Extra Command Points: 0
    Wounds: 55

I had 4 drops to his 5, so I opted to go first in both games. We rolled for Shifting Objective Battleplan. We didn't use Realm Features or Open War Cards. After deployment, I rolled Hunter's Steed and advanced my two Skink units towards the middle and right objectives. Roll for the major objective placed it on the right one.

DEPLOYMENT
    IMG_20190530_143548.jpg

STEALTHY ADVANCE
    IMG_20190530_144217.jpg

T1 Seraphon: FEC's deployment gave me a pretty obvious opening for Strike from the Skies, so I set forth in attempting to maximize the damage I could dump into the GKoTG while capturing the middle and right objectives. I failed the cast for Cogs but got the Balewind. Serpent Staff on the Razordons and The Trap is Sprung on the GKoTG. Blot Toad was placed inbetween the Archregeant and GKoTG. In movement, I surrounded the middle and right objectives as best I could to deny his gaining the points on his objective. Rippers came down, surrounding their target and I used 6 of 10 CCP for another unit of Skinks to buffer the Slann. Razordons were not in range to shoot anything, but I was able to fire 16 blowpipes into the GKoTG. The Trap is Sprung actually allowed three wounds, of which one went through. I forgot to declare the other Skinks into the GKoZD, so he was unscathed. Rippers made their charge and even with -1 to be hit and two Save rolls, I managed to make enough wound rolls to kill the GKoTG! This is a personal achievement for me, as I consider them one of the nastiest monsters in AoS. I avoided pulling any of his other units into combat and there was no battleshock tests to take. 4-0 Seraphon
    IMG_20190530_150931.jpg

T1 FEC: I believe he succeeded on one spell cast, as I denied one and he failed another. He moved one unit of Ghouls on the left objective and the other into my middle unit of Skinks. The GKoZD moved to charge the Rippers. Unfortunately, he forgot to use his summon at end of movement and went right to shooting, which was ineffectual. He made the charge into my Rippers and the middle Skinks, and opted to attack with the GKoZD first. The GKoZD did destory the Rippers, but only by using Feeding Frenzy. Of course, I used Wary Fighter to move the middle Skinks away from his ghouls, maintaining control of the objective. 4-1 Seraphon

We rolled for priority and I won. Gwendar conceded at this point. He was convinced he would not be able to come back from my lead. Major victory Seraphon and my first ever victory against FEC! We opted to play one more game, though we had time constraints of about an hour.

Escalation League
    1250 MPP in Shyish, Game 2
    Seraphon vs Flesh Eater Courts

Same lists as above. Again I opted to go first. Unfortunately I didn't get any photos of this game due to the aforementioned time constraints. This time the middle objective was the major. I rolled Great Drake for constellation.

T1 Seraphon: My deployment was nearly the same as above, but he castled more to the middle of his zone. I didn't see a good spot to bring down Rippers, but thought I could get 4-5 into his GKoTG, but I'd be in combat with at least one unit of Ghouls. Failed Cogs again, Balewind succeeded again. Serpent staff on Razordons. I advanced the Skinks and Razordons, surrounding the objectives again. Again, I brought in 10 Skinks to buffer the Slann and brought down Rippers, taking far too much time to position them as best I could. Ended up with 4 into the GKoTG and 2 into the rear unit of 10 Ghouls. Razordons shot into the front line of Ghouls, killing 8. I shot Skinks into the remaining 2 Ghouls, but whiffed and the rest in range went into the GKoTG, again managing one wound through. Rippers went to work, with the 2 into the back line of Ghouls taking them out. The 4 into the GKoTG rolled well on the Spears and Claw attacks, but I got an abslutely terrible exploding wounds count and only managed 6 rolls. No death for the big guy this time, just 8 wounds. Retaliation deleted the Rippers. The remaining two Ghouls in the front line failed battleshock and ran. 4-0 Seraphon

T1 FEC: The GKoTG flew between my Skink units ending up middle right, near the right objective. The GKoZD flew to the right of the Razordons and near the middle objective. He summoned in 3 Crypt Flayers and a Varghulf in my back zone, 9" away from the Starpriest. The summoned units failed their charges, but the GKs on mounts didn't fail. He attacks the unit of 20 Skinks on the right objective first and murders them all, though again needing Feeding Frenzy. I was only able to attack with one Razordon into the GKoZD and only managed a wound. GKoZD's retaliation took out two Razordons and 8 Skinks. 4-1 Seraphon

I win the priority roll and the major objective switches to the left one.

T2 Seraphon: I teleport the Slann and Starpriest to the back left of his zone, get off Cogs this time, and bank the 16 casts, giving me 20 CCP. However, I placed the Slann to far away from the left objective and wouldn't be able to capture it with summoned in units. :( I ran the unit of 10 summoned Skinks from T1 up towards the left objective and recaptured it by getting 3 models in the 6" range. The Blot Toad moved within range of the Archreagent. I summoned in 3 Rippers and 10 Skinks. The Rippers made their charge and were able to kill the Archregeant. The remaining two Razordons died when the GKoZD retaliated. 6-1 Seraphon

T2 FEC: The GKoTG again completely dispatched the Skinks on the right objective and the GKoZD killed the remaining 2 Skinks on the middle objective. He also used his last summon to bring on 3 more Crypt Flayers onto the left objective, giving him board control. 6-6 tie

Unfortunately, Gwendar had to leave at the end of his T2. We did roll for priority, which I won again, but had we played this out, it's unlikely I'd have survived against the force left on the table. Still, we agreed the game ended in a tie.

Post Battle Analysis
    In game 1, I definitely took full advantage of his mistakes. It still feels a bit cheap to do this, but I've certainly had it happen to me and I know it's a part of the game. The removal of his GKoTG and then forcing his GKoZD to deal with the threat gave me full advantage to control the board. From the outset. It's likely I would have been able to maintain this tempo with killing at least one unit of Ghouls with Razordons and I would have focused on occupying the GKoZD and maintaining control of the major objective.

In game 2, had I not placed my Slann to far on my T2, I would have had an 11-1 lead going into his T2. In hind sight, I should have just teleported the Slann to the objective and dumped two units of Skinks he'd have to chew through to gain the objective. I would have then just kept teleporting around the board, attempting to keep VP control and avoiding the death of the Slann as best I could.

I think my deployment in T1 was on point. I would still have deployed the Skinks as I did in T1 for T2 to gain the immediate VP control, but had there been more time, I would have deployed the rest of my army further back and waited with the Rippers for a better target, likely deploying the Blot Toad on an objective. Still, all in all, I'm pretty happy with the outcome of the games. :)

QUESTION: In a recent Battle Report video, I saw Slaanesh use an interesting tactic. They summoned in a hero, and then used that hero as the locus for the following summon, effectively doubling the range by which the 2nd summon was able to come in. Can we use this same tactic with summoning an Astrolith Bearer and then the second summon being wholly within 12" of that summoned Astrolith Bearer?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    Imrahil and Lizerd like this.
  12. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

the pictures aren't working.

And yeah you could chain together astrolith bearer summons to increase your range. Admittadly I doubt it's going to be very effective given that an astrolith bearer costs 18 freaking points. It'd be worthwhile if we could use the arcane vassal rule for it as a minor skink hero isn't so expensive to summon.

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Indeed, they don't.

14. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Updated the pics and thanks for the info!

Lizerd likes this.
  15. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Pretty interesting report, and after a skim (don’t worry I will read it more in depth) I’m pretty impressed with the draw you pulled. Considering how outdated our stuff is, I would say you won a moral victory. Excellent report and I look forward to more.

16. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Escalation League
    1250 MPP in Shyish, Game 3
    Seraphon vs Disciples of Tzeentch

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
    20 x Skinks (120)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    4 x Razordons (160)

Battalions

Endless Spells / Terrain
    Chronomantic Cogs (60)
    Balewind Vortex (40)

Allegiance: Tzeentch

Leaders
    Gaunt Summoner and Chaos Familiars (180)
    - General
    - Trait: Aether Tether
    - Lore of Fate: Bolt of Tzeentch

Lord of Change (380)
    - Artefact: Mark of the Conjurer
    - Lore of Change: Tzeentch's Firestorm

Battleline
    20 x Tzaangors (360)
    10 x Kairic Acolytes (80)

Units
    3 x Tzaangor Enlightened on Disc (140)

Endless Spells / Terrain
    Balewind Vortex (40)
    Chronomantic Cogs (60)

Extra Command Points: 0
    Wounds: 81

Played Knife to the Heart against our local Tzeentch player. Rolled a 5 for the Shyish Realmscape feature, adding 1 to all Bravery. With only 3 drops, I opted for Tzeentch to go first. I rolled Sage's Staff and and shuffled the two units of Skinks around a bit in Stealthy Advance.
    IMG_20190531_172153.jpg

T1 Tzeentch: Not much to tell on his T1. He got off Cogs and Balewind, which would give both his LoC and GSwF 3 spells each. LoC used his CA each turn to give +1 to casting to both the Wizards. I think I unbound one spell and he failed another. I was still well out of his range for shooting and casting and he opted not to move.

T1 Seraphon: I also got Cogs and Balewind off. I was fairly certain he would turtle another turn, so I advanced the unit of 20x Skinks and 4x Razordons towards his objective. I banked 13 CCP and didn't see a good use for LoSaT.
    IMG_20190531_174443.jpg

T2 Tzeentch: More spell casts and turtling, but he did summon in a Herald on Disc to use as a mobile beacon for additional summon.
    IMG_20190531_175431.jpg

T2 Seraphon: I cast an 12 for the Realm Spell Soul Shrou, but he unbound it with LoC and Destiny Dice. Banked 16 CCP and then failed both LoSaT. More advancing of Skinks and Razordons. I summoned in a unit of Skinks to buffer my objective and Slann. Skinks got in range of the Tzangors and I managed to take down 1, which was amazing considering they have 2 wounds with a 6+, 5+ save.
    IMG_20190531_180759.jpg

T3 Seraphon: Double turn! I think I like the T2-T3 double turn more than the T1-T2. I again failed LoSaT twice >_< Failing it four times in a row on a 3+ was rough. I did manage Soul Shroud on the Razordons though, which made them immune to all spells. My advancing force was now well within range of several Tzeentch units. With it being T3, I wanted to start clearing away units to give me a better chance at capturing his objective. I brought down the Rippers to tear into the Tzangors. I also summoned another unit of 10 Skinks to buffer my objective. Skinks shot into the Herald on Disc and Enlightened, taking two wounds off the Herald on Disc, but none on the Enlightened. Razordons shot into the Tzangors, doing 5 wounds. Rippers managed 16 wounds across all their attacks, reducing the Tzangor down to 9 models. Tzangors then piled in and killed 4 Rippers. Battleshock saw 5 Tzangor flee.
    IMG_20190531_182723.jpg IMG_20190531_183139.jpg IMG_20190531_183918.jpg

T3 Tzeentch: He cast two offensive spells at my Starpriest. I managed to negate one with Spellmirror, but the other did 3 mortal wounds. Tzeentch's Firestorm went into the unit of 20x Skinks, killing 6. The Herald on Disc flew far to the right, the remaining Tzangors advanced towards the Skinks and the Enlightened moved forward for a charge. He summoned in 10 Blues from the Herald on Disc. His Acolytes shot into the Rippers, killing one more. One or both wizards shot into the Skinks as well and killed 2 more. The Tzangor made their charge and the Enlightened rolled an 11, allowing them to swing around the Skinks into the Razordons. I rolled for ID and got a 4. 11 wound rolls completed and he only saved 2; 9 wounds and the unit is gone before even getting to fight. He attacked with the Tzangor, but only killed 2 more. Skinks used Wary Fighter and swung around towards his objective, but didn't get enough in to control it. Razordons were able to pile into the 4 remaining Tzangors and their 9 melee attacks managed to finish off the unit. I used a CP to pass Battleshock for the 20x Skink unit.
    IMG_20190531_190225.jpg

T4 Seraphon: I think I failed LoSaT again, cause I recall being pretty miffed about it. I've never failed it so many times! The 10 Skinks left from the unit of 20 moved to within charge range of the LoC. By the end of this Hero phase, I had 49 CCP. I decided to try the trick of the AstroBear and additional summon from that unit. Ultimately, it was a pointless gesture, but it was fun to do! AstroBear came in 12" away and then 3x Rippers and another 10x Skinks summoned in 12" away from the AstroBear. Again, it was neat to see it happen. I charged into the LoC with the lone Ripper and 10x Skinks. I used Wary Fighter to position the Skinks ot of combat, but all 10 were within 6" of Tzeentch's objective. The LoC did it's one melee attack, but whiffed. At the end of my turn, I controlled both objectives and won!
    IMG_20190531_192355.jpg

Post Game Analysis

I think this may rank as one of my better played games. I've played Shadowstrike against this opponent before and murdered his LoC twice and the GSwF once. I guess it's made an impact, causing the turtling for two turns. While I hated to crash the Rippers into the Tzangors, it seemed the appropriate thing to do at the time, as I needed to clear his screen if I were to have any chance to control his objective. It worked out well! And thank goodness it did, cause failing so many LoSaT attempts would normally be devastating to my play-style.

Attached Files:

Imrahil and Lizerd like this.
  17. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Escalation League
    1250 MPP in Shyish, Game 4
    Seraphon vs Dauhters of Khaine

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    Skink Starpriest (80)

Battleline
    20 x Skinks (120)
    10 x Skinks (60)

Units
    4 x Razordons (160)

Battalions

Endless Spells / Terrain
    Chronomantic Cogs (60)
    Balewind Vortex (40)

Allegiance: Daughters of Khaine

Leaders
    Morathi High Oracle of Khaine(480)
    -General
    -Lore of Shadows: Pit of Shades

Slaughter Queen on Cauldron of Blood(330)
    -Prayer: Blessing of Khaine
    Hag Queen(60)
    -Prayer: Catechism of Murder

Battleline
    20 x Witch Aelves(200)
    -Pairs of Sacrificial Knives
    10 x Witch Aelves(100)
    -Pairs of Sacrificial Knives

Units
    5 x Khinerai Heartrenders(80)

Total:1250 / 1250
    Extra Command Points:0
    Allies:0 / 200
    Wounds:59

Played Three Places of Power and rolled a 4 on the Realmscape Feature, which makes all terrain Sinister (-1 to Bravery). Again, I had less drops and opted for DoK to go first. I rolled The Great Drake for my constellation and flushed out my Skinks to screen more of my zone.
    IMG_20190531_194810.jpg

T1 DoK: Most of the prayers failed. Morathi enbiggifies. All of the army moves up, with Morathi capping the middle objective. The Khinerai dropped down to block the left objective. The Cauldron and unit of 10 Witch Aelves ended their movement just outside the right objective, failing to cap it. The Khinerai threw their javelins and killed one Skink. 1-0 DoK

T1 Seraphon: I cast Cogs and Balewind. The Blot Toad went out next to the Cauldron. I teleported behind the Khinerai and dropped 2 Razordons (proxied). Then I teleported the Slann back to his starting corner. I moved Skinks and Razordons up to be within shooting range. The Rippers swooped down to charge the Cauldron. The summoned Razordon proxies shot into the Khirenai and destroyed the unit. The unit of 4 Razordons shot into the unit of 20 Witch Aelves and killed 6. In combat, the Rippers didn't perform quite as well as the first time I charged them into a Cauldron. They took it down to two wounds, but I was really hoping for a death. The Cauldron killed 2 or 3 in response, which allowed me to get the Rippers out of combat with the unit of 10 Witch Aelves. 1-0 DoK
    IMG_20190531_200351.jpg IMG_20190531_202242.jpg

T2 DoK: He spent a CP to allow the Cauldron to attack in the Hero Phase and brought the Rippers down to 1 wound. DoK got all their Prayers off and then both units of Witch Aelves moved in to surround the Skinks. Charges were successful and the Witch Aelves soon completely surrounded my large unit Skinks. He opted to attack with the Cauldron first and finished off the last Ripper. The Skinks used Wary Fighter to back away out of combat and prevent their immediate death. 3-0 DoK

T2 Seraphon: I teleported the Slann behind his forces and teleported the Starpriest on to the right objective. I backed up the Razordons and ran the unit of 10 Skinks between them and the larger unit of Skinks. The Slann summoned in 3 more Rippers. The Razordons were able to knock off a few more Witch Aelves, but not nearly enough. The Rippers failed their first charge, but I re-reolled it with a CP and got an 11. They were able to finish off the Cauldron. 3-1 DoK

T3 DoK:
    At the start of his turn, we discussed the how the game would progress.. I would be unable to kill Morathi, since she was still at full health, with 12 wounds. This means DoK would amass 15 VP. He would move his unit of 10 Witch Aelves to deny the left objective and attack the summoned Rippers. Assuming the Starpriest could sit on the bottom objective unscathed, I would get 10 VP from that. The best I could then hope for would be 4 more VP from the left objective, assuming I could clear it and get on it in my T4. This would only give me 14 VP. Along with this, it was closing time for the LGS. I conceded and congratulated DoK on his win.

Post Game Analysis
    Well, obvious mistake is allowing DoK to go first. His deployment didn't allow for great access to the Cauldron, but that shouldn't have been my focus.I could have dropped them down and gotten the three allowed wounds on Morathi and but 4 or 5 Rippers into the Witch Aelves right next to her. Another mistake was not securing the right objective on my T1. Had I taken T1 I could have used Stealthy Advance and run to get the middle and right objectives straight out, using Skinks to buffer from immediate retaliation. I've gotten into a rut of allowing my opponent to go first to try and bait them into spreading out so I have a better Alpha Strike opportunity. I need to get away from this habit.

Imrahil, Aginor and Lizerd like this.
  18. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Oh dear, I got reading to do tomorrow morning. Expect more from me soon (probably just going to edit this) but I got to go off and sleep. The games look pretty interesting so that should be fun.

19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

the tzeentch player seems to have been a tad too scared from your shadowstrike, while also bringing weirdly little ranged firepower for someone trying to turtle. Nor did he really bring any fodder to absorb your charge. I think his mistakes were rather crucial here.

For the DoK it seems like morathi might be a tad ridiculous OP when playing three places of power, regardless of what you would've done differently I don't see you be able to move her from an objective which basicly guarantees him an obscene amount of points. Looking at the remaining points you'd need to play near perfectly to be able to make up for that.

It does beg the question though, how are you supposed to deal with something like morathi when she's holding an objective. Killing her is effectivly impossible unless you can poor in wounds from the start & as far as I know there's basicly no way for displacing an opponent (with maybe one or two exceptions). So what exactly are you supposed to do if a full-health morathi grabs an objective? Just surrender?

Lizerd likes this.
  20. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

I would agree that any Battleplan that requires a Hero, Monster, or Wizard to cap the objective is very well suited to Morathi. It's really imperative to get wounds into her before she gets big and I know that, so I just didn't do what I should have there. Then when she gets big, you've got 6 wounds to deal with, rather than 12.

Aside from killing her outright, in this Battleplan, the only other way to win if she's camping the objective would be to maintain control of the the other two objectives from at least T2 on. Also, I think if you have a hero/wizard on the sam objective as Morathi, it will contest it and they wont get the points.