1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Stürmer's Paint Log

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Wilhelm Stürmer, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Wilhelm Stürmer Well-Known Member

Kit-bash / Conversion Album

Painting Album

To date, I have only painted some Skinks, which are still a work in progress. Today, I began painting my first larger model: a Troglodon. My coworker that got me into AoS has been offering painting advice and even directly assisting with techniques. This model is still very much a work in progress, but I'd appreciate your input. I would like the main body color to have a purple hue to it. I attempted this with a wash, where the tail splits, but it saturated and covered the blue rather than accenting it. Would what I'm trying to achieve be better attempted with dry brushing? Also, any input on a bright color that would compliment the rest of the body for the sails would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Lizerd, Warden, tom ndege and 5 others like this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

He is looking good!

I would do the sails in orange with a layered blend into yellow

3. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

Im liking the colour. Im not a great painter but have you tried thinning the purple was with lamia medium? If you mix enough in it creates a glaze. Then when dry you can drybrush over everything with the same colour to tie it all together

4. inakue
    Saurus

inakue Well-Known Member

Hi!
    You could use a darker wash (Druchii Violet e.g.). Then drybrush with skull-white and glaze the drybrushed areas (not the recesses) with a lighter color :)

5. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

I'll have to research these suggestions. They sound promising, but I have no idea how to perform them. Thank you all for the input.

6. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Welcome @Wilhelm Stürmer !

Why don't you start your own paint blog to the painting section so that you can keep updating us + have an archive of your progress? :cool:

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Orange and Yellow are the perfect complementary colours for the sails.

what you have done so far is right but the next step is achieved in either of two ways, one is more controlled and harder to do but gives a better finish.

1. Drybrush all the scales with your base colour. (you don't need dry paints to drybrush)

2. Layer the base color back over the scales (you don't need layer paints to layer)

I won't go into much more at the moment but kudos for trying such a big model ;)

Take your time although your a beginner great results can be achieved with patience.

Lizerd likes this.
  8. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I will move this and make it his blog if @Wilhelm Stürmer agrees.

Lizerd likes this.
  9. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Yup, I agree :) Thanks for the video references, those should be very helpful.

Lizerd, Seraphage and Crowsfoot like this.
  10. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

@Crowsfoot For some reason, your Youtube links aren't working after the thread was moved. :(

Never mind, issue appears to be on my end.

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  11. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Small update. I painted another layer of blue, primarily because I felt that there was too much area that looked as though the brush just ran out of paint. Unfortunately it's now a bit darker than I had wanted. I painted the sails, the underside, and touched up the purple on the spines. I plan to dry brush a purple over the whole body, in an attempt to hue the blue slightly. Hopefully, I can do that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

12. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

You could lighten it up with a glaze or directed drybrush of pallid wych flesh or another lighter blue. If you use pallid wych flesh then focus on the elbows, knees, armpits, really any point of flesh that see a lot of articulation.

13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

@Wilhelm Stürmer ^ this is good advice, with painting minis you have to exaggerate the effect your looking for.

When you start a model and have a desired colour always remember that the base colour will go darker when you shade, so go a shade lighter with your base and then the same with highlights go 1 or 2 shades lighter than you think, after a couple of models you will just get a feel for the combinations.

Golden tip: it's easier to darken a model than lighten it, go really bold when you highlight, pallid wych flesh is a brilliant choice and if it's too light you just glaze to tone it down.

14. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

REALLY appreciate this tip! I'll stop by GW and pick some of that up.

15. Crowsfoot
    Slann

It's what we are here for, we were all new painters once ;)

16. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

If you don't have Lahmian Medium yet then I pick some of it up as well. Sometimes Pallid Wych Flesh needs some restorative work and Lahmian Medium does the trick pretty well.

17. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

So I actually have two updates, because I forgot to post them separately.

I ended up using Slannesh Grey to highlight the Troglodon. Now, I've had two people say they see the slight purple highlighting, but I can't. The body and highlights didn't turn out quite how I had envisioned, but I still like it, so I'm going with it.

The underside is based in The Fang and then washed in Agrax. Also, I went with Abaddon Black on the claws, with Ardcoat over it. The lashings are painted with Rhino/Rhinox Hide, emblems in... Something Gold, tusks and fetish skulls in Ushanti Bone, and teeth in a mix of Ushanti Bone & Screaming Skull.

I plan to paint the feathers in some combination of yellow and orange, and then the venom sacs I'm still undecided on. I know I want them to be a bright contrast, similar to some frog and lizard throat membranes.

The end will consist of touch up, as there are a few places I've slipped with the brush.

As always, I'd appreciate your feedback and any suggestions on the venom sac coloring would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Lizerd, Warden, tom ndege and 4 others like this.
  18. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Third set of update pics

Attached Files:

Lizerd, Warden, tom ndege and 4 others like this.
  19. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

Well, aside from basing, I'm considering this model done. The perfectionist in me wants to keep using the detail brush to fix minute details, but I could do that for weeks, quite likely. It not quite as I had envisioned, but I really like it, nonetheless. Next up will be all my Skinks, though I think I'll work on them in blocks of 10.

Attached Files:

Lizerd, Warden, Imrahil and 5 others like this.
  20. Wilhelm Stürmer
    Ripperdactil

So I wanted to test out two priming ideas: one all black and then white dry brushing to highlight, the other zenithol primed. I did this using two of the Saurus Warriors from the Start Collecting box. I can't really tell the difference, but I also think I wanted to detail the models so much that the priming method was a bit wasted. This method will likely work better with Skinks. At any rate, here are the two Warriors.

Attached Files:

Lizerd, Warden, Aginor and 3 others like this.