1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Trek vs. Star Wars (and a collection of memes)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Apr 16, 2015.

?

Star Trek or Star Wars; which do you like better?

1. Star Trek

19 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Star Wars

60 vote(s)
    75.9%
  1. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Luke is indeed Force Sensitive, but beyond that I would only put him at being a strong but not amazing pilot, so while it elevates him I wouldn’t say it’s enough to put him in the top five (without it I’d say he’s on par with maybe Chewie and Lando). Wedge is definitely a strong pilot, but I wouldn’t say he’s demonstrated skills of flying on par with Poe, and at least before Han came along Hera was fairly well established as the best pilot in the Rebel Alliance (which Wedge was a part of at the time). Notably she’s also the only pilot to survive an encounter with Darth Vader (hands down the best pilot on the galaxy by a long shot) on her own merits, rather than being bailed out by someone else. Kylo Ren probably does deserve a spot but not in the top five I wouldn’t say - I don’t think the simple fact of inheritance can justify placement (otherwise the likes of Leia should place pretty highly as well) and although he demonstrates strong piloting it’s not quite on par with some of the others.

Overall I’d say while everyone on the list is a good pilot, with Wedge being the best of the ‘good’ pilots, the ‘great’ pilots are Poe (Force Awakens and Last Jedi escapades), Hera (surviving Vader and expertly flying seven ships simultaneously), Han (Kessel Run et al) and Vader (the skills of all the others, plus being force sensitive on top of that).

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

It really depends on how obscure you get in Star Wars lore, what is canon and what's not. The X-Wing computer game strategy guide created Keyan Farlander to be the character who flies all the mission. I am hard pressed to come up with a pilot in the Rebellion who did more. I don't know if the central character in the TIE Fighter computer game has a name, but he does a lot too.

I lost most of my West End Star Wars RPG books but they had stats for a bunch of characters.

I remember in the Thrawn Trilogy Grand Admiral Thrawn cloned his best two pilots and they were amazing. Even though they had inferior ships the clone pilots took down more New Republic ships than they lost.

The Tales of the Jedi era had some awesome pilots but that's like comparing Ancient Spartan warriors to modern American soldiers.

If you look at the stats of a TIE fighter compared to the Millenium Falcon, the four nameless pilots that chased Han into an asteroid field during Empire Strikes Back were amazing. But the movie stats and the expanded universe stats for the TIE fighters and the Millenium Falcon do not always agree. The stats for the Falcon in West End Star Wars are insane. Basically with the RPG mechanics, Han needs to dodge when near Star Destroyers, but he can basically take a nap around four TIE Fighters. Statistically they'd need to hit him like 30 times to do any damage.

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  3. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

For the sake of simplicity I’d say to base your judgements off the current canon - broadly speaking I’d say so far it’s been managed well enough to be fairly consistent in capabilities and such - there doesn’t seem to be much in the way of obscure characters demonstrating skills that contradict who should and shouldn’t be the best (you can argue that Rey’s a Mary Sue, but if she is she’s a Mary Sue that has been planned for and properly integrated into the universe in synergy with others, instead of being a randomly inserted one into an obscure self contained story that flies in the face of other Canon)

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

106796222_2661052674117087_6145346156923608529_n.jpg

Not true... there was sadness!

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Padme's death was the single stupidest thing in the Episode 3.

There are 100 better ways she could have died.

Thinking back to when Game of Thrones was good. Tommen killed himself because his mother, Circe killed his wife and a bunch of innocent people.

Circe might have been able to talk Tommen into not killing himself but while Tommen was killing himself, Circe was in the dungeon getting revenge on a rival rather than comforting her son.

Something like that.

Anakin is off doing something evil rather than staying with his wife while the last remnants of the Sepratists lash out at Padme out of spite. Padme is injured enough that her death by child birth is feasible.

Rather than walk in and kill everyone personally in the Jedi Temple, he conducts a long range bombardment, only Padme was in the temple looking for Obi Wan. Padme is injured enough that her death by child birth is feasible.

I can probably come up with more.

9. Just A Skink
    Skink Chief

Just A Skink Well-Known Member

Or how about just not killing her and have her go into hiding on Alderaan with Leia. She can still die of a "broken heart" early in Leia's life. That way when Leia tells Luke that she doesn't remember much of her (their) mother, but does remember her beauty and her sadness it would ring true a bit more.

Plus, what if there had been a more interesting "love triangle" with Padme, Anakin, and a (younger) Bail Organa? Maybe she could have gone on to marry him after Anakin's fall?

10. Scalenex
    Slann

My ideas were good. Yours are better.

Just A Skink and Imrahil like this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

16. Scalenex
    Slann

Is Rabbit Threepio or is Owl Threepio? Or Piglet.

Winnie the Pooh has a lot of supporting characters who are overly talkative, anal retentive, and/or always scared.

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

18. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I’d say Piglet would be C-3PO because Rabbit is cunning and Owl is wise, and C-3PO is neither of those.

Rabbit would probably be R2, and Owl would definitely be Obi-Wan, if we’re relating this to the Original Trilogy.

Pooh, despite having an appetite to rival a Wookiee, would make a very placid and mellow Chewie. I’d say Tigger has more Chewie about him with his continual vigour (also I’d say Chewie would prefer malt extract to honey like Tigger), and Pooh can be Luke as he possesses the innocent simplicity Luke has in the first one and a half films.

Leia obviously is Kanga, and Eeyore...hmm, there aren’t any characters in Star Wars that could be called perpetually miserable. He would make a good hermit Yoda though if you see his permanent misery as a ruse to disguise himself from resembling a Jedi Master.

And Roo... what would he be... baby Ben Solo?

That is so true. Overpaid primadonnas, the lot of them.

19. Scalenex
    Slann

It's not necessary to assign an alter ego to every character in the Original Trilogy or to assign an alter ego to every character in the Hundred Acre Wood.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but I don't agree with your conclusions.

Given that Chewie got hungry and his hunger led him into a trap to further the plot, Pooh should remain Chewbacca, or Poohbacca.

Tigger normally doesn't shut up or stay still. I don't think that's a good match for Chewbacca.

I don't see Kanga and Leia having anything in common other than being token females in a sausage heavy cast.

I agree that Piglet is the best match for C3PO.

Eyeore is probably R2D2. If you could understand what R2 is saying, you could hear how he's always spouting nihilistic things.

20. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief