1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Dec 17, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It's because of the "Force is Female" identity politics angle. The force isn't male or female, but they keep pushing it. All (or at least most) the male characters are portrayed as imbeciles or incompetent, while the female characters run the show. Don't get me wrong, a strong female character is awesome (Ripley from Aliens series, Sarah Connor from Terminator 2, etc.), but not when you are pushing them forward simply because of identity politics (like Ghostbusters 2016). Just create great characters (male or female) and great stories, but keep politics out of it. A movie like Star Wars is supposed to be an escape, not another avenue through which to be preached to.

2. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

Exactly. I hate it and now all tv shows have A. A black person and B. A female main character. While there isn’t anything wrong with these it is awful how now they ALWAYS HAVE THEM. They should just make shows and of hey have any of these then so be it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Precisely. Let the story dictate what characters you have and let the characters serve the story (and vice versa). I don't like external political influences interfering with the process. Diversity is great, but forced diversity is horrible!

4. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

Fair enough. While it could be perceived as ‘fair’ to ensure people from previously oppressed (if that’s the right word) have roles, true equality would mean that people are chosen based on merit. Gender, race or sexual orientation should play no part. Unfortunately, I think some places would still perhaps discriminate if given the chance, which is why we probably need it enforced, if not legally than through public scrutiny. Unfortunately, for those who would choose through merit, it forces them to take on these roles just to tick boxes

5. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I think that there is nothing inherently wrong with deliberately choosing actors from minorities (if they are as qualified as others), but I also think that it is being overdone these days.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  6. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

It’s not that I don’t want minorities to be actors. I have no objections to woman actors or anything. What irritates me is the principal of it being necessary. I get mad because every tv show has a certain criteria they must include. Not that there is anything wrong with the criteria but I hate how it’s necessary.

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

This is exactly what I would like to see.

At the end of the day, everyone should be free to cast their movie/show as they wish and let capitalism sort out the rest.

But there is nothing stopping someone from making a film with all minorities or all women, etc. Having a movie that lacks diversity doesn't prevent someone from producing a movie that is completely diverse. No one will tell you that you are not allowed, if you can sell it to the audience you will be successful. I think that if someone is truly discriminatory it will end up hurting them in terms of profit.

Exactly! It's the forced necessity that is the issue. I watched Black Panther which is nearly completely comprised of minorities and I enjoyed it... nothing felt forced about it. Everything fit with the story and the theme.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

SO TRUE LOL! Unfortunately they had to fill up their drama quota.

10. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

The meme reminds me of the purple hair. When someone wants to create a straw feminist they often bring up the purple hair. That's not subtle. That had to be deliberate. Whoever made the decision to give Holdo purple hair was trolling though I don't know if he or she was trolling feminists or anti-feminists.

The Holdo Maneuver just bugs me. That will end ANY future space battle instantly. That's basically broken Star Wars forever until they get a hard reboot.

Just like in the Harry Potter series with time turners (which can solve any problem) only Rowling covered up that plot hole by having them all destroyed in book five. In Star Trek into Darkness, they establish interplanetary transporters that make spaceships obsolete, cure death, and casually talk to Spock's future self while in deep space when ordinary communications were down and the Enterprise was heavily damaged, but for some reason the time phone worked. WTM?

This video puts forth the thesis that if Luke Skywalker was a female protagonist (Lucella Skywalker?) and passed the torch to a young man named Ray that people would be equally upset at Ray because the story would still be bad. Heck, I'm sure people would get offended if a young man showed up a more experienced old woman who was portrayed as a bumbling homeless bag lady drinking green milk.

Episode 7 and 8 were just bad stories. Most people don't analyze literature to death. Their subconscious recognizes it's a bad story but their conscious mind doesn't know why so they latch on to the most obvious thing they can see...social justice ruined Star Wars!

That's why I don't believe Jar Jar deserves as much crap as he gets. Phantom Menace was a poorly constructed story. Most people couldn't figure out why consciously so clearly Jar Jar ruined the Phantom Menace!

11. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

I totally agree with this. I think it’s ridiculous that so much politics go into tv shows. I wouldn’t be offended if there was a show with all white men or all black women etc. it doesn’t matter, what matters is if the show is good. They force to much political efforts into it and it ruins shows. I don’t care that Rey is a girl but I don’t think it’s a necessity, it’s not against minorities or anything in fact using minorities as an example is logically flawed because they ARE equal already. By reminding people of former divides just brings them into play again. This issue needs to be addressed in society or it will never end.

12. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Ok was it something that I said? Nobody has commented and it’s freaking me out lol. Am I being shunned?

13. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Don't worry, everything is OK as far as I am concerned. I just think everyone has voiced their opinions on the matter already. :)

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Pretty much what @Aginor said! Most of us seem to be in a fair bit of agreement, at least for the most part. A rarity in contrast to our typical Star Wars discussions.

However to emphasize the point, consider that one of the most beloved of the Prequel characters happened to be a minority. However, his inclusion always felt like it was made with the intention of making the movies better (which it did!!) rather than an obligatory check in the minority inclusion checklist. Never once did it feel like political meddling.

[​IMG]

15. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Oh ok lol I was worried lol. Everything went silent lol.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It just happens from time to time.

Your input on the topic was excellent.

Aginor likes this.
  17. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

Ty lol some people would get so mad if you said something like that.

NIGHTBRINGER and Aginor like this.