1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Started Painting Today! Picture Heavy!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by asrodrig, Nov 11, 2008.

1. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Hey all. I've decided to post a journal of sorts as I paint my first Warhammer army. That way, you all can give me tips and pointers as I go along. Anyways, today I started painting the base layer, and I went with Knarloc Green, which is a nice, emerald green. So far, all I've painted is my Skinks. Here's a picture of one:

skink-chief.jpg

If I have more time over the weekend, I'll start on my Saurus regiment. I also have a Kroxigor, a Scar-Vet, and Kroq-Gar. Here's some pics of them, sitting on my shelf with my newly painted skinks:

lizardmen-army2.jpg

(kinda reminds me of that scene in Land Before Time when everyone's all covered in Tar)

lizardmen-army.jpg

Anyways, hope you like my work so far! I'll keep you posted as it progresses!

2. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Re: Started Painting Today!

Thanks for sharing, keep us posted on how they go :)

3. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Very cool base coat, my suggestion is to make sure your metal remains black in the base coat though.

4. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Good tip! Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

5. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

np

6. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Painted most of my Saurus unit today. (11/16 of the unit, plus my Scar-Vet model). Still using the Knarloc Green. I'm going to be out of town for the weekend on a business trip, so I won't have any more pictures for you until Monday or Tuesday. I am also planning on painting the shields of the Saurus with a Calthan Brown undercoat, and maybe some Vomit Brown highlights. I still have yet to decide on a color scheme for my Carnosaurus and my Kroxigor, as well as for the Skink shields. I might wait until i have more paints, as I am currently restricted to the Foundation paints that are in the Hobby Starter set. I am saving up for the Mega Paint Set, and am already halfway there! I have also decided to not spend any more money on models until I get the current ones painted up first, but next on my list is a Stegadon (the old one, I don't really like the new model at all), perhaps some Terradons (though more than likely I will wait until the new model comes out), and a Slann. I for sure will wait for the new Kroxigor models and the new Temple Guard models before I get any of those. Depending on what other models come out in February, those are subject to change. Anyways, I'll talk to you guys later. Enjoy these pics for now!

DSCN1476.jpg

DSCN1477.jpg

DSCN1478.jpg

PS that last picture has really weird lighting, so the green is more yellowy than it is in real life.

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Hey all, I have a question: for those of you who also used a green lizardman color scheme, what other colors did you end up using? All I have so far is the Knarloc Green, and I was thinking of getting some more paints today to celebrate my promotion!

8. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Congrat on your promotion asrodrig!
    I painted my terradons(the old version) using Knarloc Green, Goblin Green and Camo Green.
    I used bestial brown and bleach bone on the usual tallons, fangs etc.
    Finaly I think I used some kind of green wash..
    Good luck on your painting. Looks promising :)

9. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Here's some new photos of the newly painted Saurus unit, plus my Scar-Vet.

DSCN1480.jpg

DSCN1481.jpg

DSCN1482.jpg

10. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

So, I decided I would start painting the shields of the Saurus today. I'm not sure if i will paint the Skink's shields differently to more easily be able to tell the two different units apart, but for sure I painted my Skink Chief (which is turning out to be one of my favorite models so far) shield the same as the Saurus. I also painted any skulls that were showing with an undercoat of the Calthan Brown, and will go over it with Bleached Bone when I get the Mega Paint set. I have also decided to use more steel in my army, and save gold for the more important units, ie Champions, Standard Bearers, Skink Chiefs, and other more central units that will want to stand out more. So having said that, I might bust out the Boltgun Metal paint tomorrow. Or more likely later tonight. Either way, I'll keep you guys posted. Tell me what you think about the Skink shields, and enjoy these pics:

DSCN1489.jpg \
    The Saurus Warriors' shields, still in the sprue, and my Scar-Vet and Skink Chief.

DSCN1490.jpg
    A closeup of my Skink Chief.

DSCN1491.jpg
    A closeup of the Saurus Warriors' shield.

11. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Hey gang, just thought I'd share a couple new photos with you. First of all, I did end up painting all the metal for my core troops, or at least the steel. I have lots of pics of that.

DSCN1492.jpg

DSCN1493.jpg

DSCN1495.jpg

DSCN1496.jpg

I also went to a store in West Edmonton Mall called Kites and Other Delights and found probably the most intense dinosaur toys I have ever seen. I picked up 3 Pterodactyls. As you can see in the photos, they are WAYY bigger than the Terradon model, which I think makes them more realistic looking, because no way is that little guy going to be able to carry a Skink his own size. Anyways, I hope you enjoy these pictures too.

DSCN1498.jpg

DSCN1499.jpg

DSCN1500.jpg

12. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I painted the red bits on my Lizardmen today. In case you don't know what my planned color scheme is, it's green with red spikes. I'll probably go over the big scales on the back with Dark Angel's Green, and then start doing the fine highlights with Camo Green and Rotting Flesh. Anyways, here's my Saurus Warriors now:

DSCN1501.jpg

And here's my Scar-Vet:

DSCN1502.jpg

And a little bit of armless Kroq-Gar as well (I keep dropping him because he's not glued to the Carnosaur yet)!

DSCN1503.jpg

Anyways, hope you enjoy my pics! More to follow, real soon!

13. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Nice job, the red is looking good with the green so far, the teradons look like they should work out. Good luck with them.

14. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Did a little more painting today, especially on my Scar-Vet. Take a look! You can also see my Kroxigor next to him.

DSCN1504.jpg

And here's from front view:

DSCN1505.jpg

And the other side:

DSCN1506.jpg

Anyways, hope you all are enjoying my pics!

15. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

DSCN1545.jpg

Carnosaur! Yay! I was a little scared to start painting it, because it's probably my favorite model, and the main reason I picked Lizardmen in the first place, but I think it looks pretty good so far.

In case you were wondering, I've painted Snakebite Leather on the smoother skin and a mix of Undercoat Black and White and a little teeny bit of Snakebite Leather for the bigger scales.

Anyways, hope you like!

16. Aparach
    Troglodon

Aparach New Member

Think your carno's going to be a great HQ, and I'm excited to see your progress on that kroxigor of yours! Right now it looks like a 1000 years old and would bee a great start for making a Nakai model :)

17. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Thanks for sharing the progress so far, can't wait to see the finished product :)

18. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

I did a little more work on the Carnosaur tonight, and I am quite pleased with the results. The pictures aren't the greatest, unfortunately, so you can't quite see how it really looks. Once I have finished stuff, I'll probably borrow a camera from the photo-dev. lab at the Universtiy. Anyways, here's the pics:

DSCN1549.jpg

DSCN1550.jpg

19. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

Haven't looked to much at this.

But for your troops I would recommend dark Angels green Ink and the a dry brush of snot green. Thats just me though. They seem flat. Kinda like mine.

moto031.jpg

20. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

Yea, they're not done yet, but that's actually what i was thinking of doing, so thanks!