1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Steed of Shadows?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Pinkus, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

I usually run a 2nd gen with 2 priests, but I really love my nikesaurus. I'm thinking of using him and a priest next game. My question is, is it worth taking up one of your slann spells for the steed of shadows so you can use it only once?

I can see how getting your JSoD a charge on turn 1 could be nasty, but can it really be more effective than something like Fireball would be over the course of a game?

The pros are on turn 1 you can pretty much charge any unit you want and then have an annoyingly strong hero behind the enemy lines all game(till he dies). The cons would just be a somewhat weaker magic phase for your slann. Which is already weaker by taking a JSoD over that of another priest.

2. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

I have used this tactic to great effect, turn one you can fling him into enemy war machines or knights and cause mayhem. Your opponent might even choose to use a dispel scroll on it!

My Slann knows 5 other spells so if I can't use that spell again throughout the game then it's no big loss, just a couple more dice to spend on the bigger spells ;)

3. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

Technically wouldn't he have only 4 other spells?

4. SohCahToa
    Kroxigor

SohCahToa New Member

well there is drain magic. So still, technically, five.

You do, however, have to consider the fact that there is a slim chance that your opponent will let this spell off. Any target worth sending your JSOD at is also a instance in which your opponent would be willing to use a dispel scroll.

5. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

I always forget about drain magic. I've gone entire games forgetting about it.

Maybe a slight work around is saving your steed of shadows for your last spell. Only need to save 1 die, which gives you 2 with a +1 to cast. Very small chance of that not going off. And if you're lucky an earlier spell stole their dispel scroll.

But it sounds more like you're telling me it might be better to not take the JSoD for that purpose since the chances of you getting a turn 1 charge is slim.

6. Sammy the Squib
    Salamander

Sammy the Squib Member

Drain magic is great, a lot of opponents forget about it, which means it's very effective when you pull it out the bag! :)

7. kroxigor01
    Ripperdactil

kroxigor01 Member

I don't think it is worth it to specifically plan to use Steed of Shadows in this manner with a 2nd Gen Slann (who can typically cast ALL his spells in one turn so you want to make sure they are all good ones in alot of situations). As a 'back up' if your going to roll on Lore of Shadow anyway, or on a 4th Gen Slann who won't be casting all his spells every turn it would be more worthwhile.

8. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

That's what I was thinking. I always bring an "all comers" list every week since I never know who I'll play. Though it sounds fun, I can't talk myself into not taking 2 priests and just dominating my magic phase.

9. FrozenLizards
    Saurus

FrozenLizards New Member

I think putting your JSoD out there and hoping your opponent doesn't dispel it is a lil risky compared to killing on the magic phase. If you run your JSoD out into the middle of the field and can't get Stead of Shadows off the he's left way open and you loose his effectiveness and open to attack.

10. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

It wouldn't be hard to keep him in some woods or something before it going off. But I guess that's another reason to not use that tactic.

11. Dalkarius
    Ripperdactil

Dalkarius New Member

Well, I recently played in a large tournament where every game my opponent found Steed of Shadows amongst my spells. I also easily managed more threatening spells, such as Conflag of Doom or Pit of Shades. I didn't play an army that had anything left to stop the JSoD from flying across the field.

12. Pinkus
    Saurus

Pinkus New Member

Yeah, I think the best way to make this work is to get off a few big spells they need to drain scrolls and dice on and save Steed for your last spell.

13. nyyman
    Skink

nyyman New Member

A good tactic with 2 gen slann would also be this:
    Get 4 easy-casting magic missiles. They are usually 1 spell on magic list, so you can just choose to have it. 1 other spell could be some support.
    Then just cast those magic missiles. As you only need 1 dice to one spell, with 1 dice coming out of nowhere (2nd genn), you DO cast 4 magic missiles per turn. Add to this Skink Priests spells. He (usually) just can't dispel them all (expect Dwarves)!