1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Stegadon weapon choices

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Audvin, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

Could not find any topic on this so I'll just ask:

What armament would you consider best on the Stegadon? Sunfire or Skystreak? How do you play the two?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

The current Tournament Meta is saturated with board controlling hordes who attempt to spread out and lock down the field. As a result I would say the Sunfire is the better choice at the moment. You do want your Steggy in combat though. So even in a low horde environment you can still get usage from the Sunfire Steggy.

However, barring a hordecentric meta, the Skystreak Bow is much stronger despite its lose of potency when Look Out Sir was introduced.

Audvin likes this.
  3. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

And If I understand the new shooting mechanics I can be locked in combat with a horde but still fire my Sunfire in the shooting phase at the very unit I’m engaged in close combat with? Otherwise I fail to see how it could be effective.

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Correct, throwers are very effective, I had 36 attacks on a horde of skellys in my last game the 8" range is bigger than your opponent thinks :)

Audvin likes this.
  5. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

Sweet! I hope it will make minced meat out of my friends Darkling Covens 30 man Executioners unit.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Just keep in mind that with the current Seraphon builds, you'll have (more often than not) an astrolith bearer.
    With rerolls, the Bow is truly strong, even against heroes with LOS.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. Audvin
    Saurus

Audvin Active Member

I might field one of each just for shits’n’giggles. :)

LizardWizard likes this.
  8. WarbossLincoln
    Skink

WarbossLincoln New Member

I've set mine up with the flamer because I intend to mount the bow on a base and use it as a SCE ballista, which we can take as allies. At 100 points each you can cleanly take up to 4 of them at 2k.

Audvin likes this.
  9. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Not taking into account the rend as that makes things a bit more complicated and it's too early for that, the flamethrower will average more damage once there's 10 or more enemies to hit with it. Anything below that the crossbow wins. Taking into account the rend the flamethrowers will probably need like 2-3 more targets to hit to be better.

Also the crosbow does have the awkwardness of only having 3 shots. Having all of em miss in a single round is going to be fairly common due to the low amount of shots, which can feel a tad lame at times.

To be honest, it's a tad dissapointing the flamethrower doesn't just hit everything in range, or function like a dracoth's breath attack where you just hit everything at a certain point. It'd help with dealing with loads of small units who together are still effectivly a horde. Right now it can still get swarmed despite having an anti-horde weapon which feels odd.

LizardWizard likes this.