1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Stegadons

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by htmwc, Jun 7, 2019.

1. htmwc
    Jungle Swarm

htmwc New Member

Hi guys!

So I'm new to AoS and Seraphon but building an army slowly (well, kinda). I appreciate the EotG are the prime stegadon build but looknig at the sheets I think stegadon's are pretty good and fun too. The D6 extra move to another skink unit + reroll 1s to hit is pretty strong. I was just wondering whether people recommend the bow or the sunfire throwers as a weapon?

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Freetings and welcome to the forum :)

I haven't played with any of the stegadons in AOS, but the bow is best for single targets while the sunfire throwers are vastly superior against hordes.

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Welcome to the forums!

I magnetized mine so I can use all options.
    I mostly use the bow version, but if you know that you will face hordes then the flame throwers are pretty great.

LizardWizard likes this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Welcome to Lustria!

Like @Aginor mention you should magnetize them.

In terms of which load is the most use of the two Steggy varaiants, I prefer the Flame Throwers. They need a double turn to really shine, but they can clean up hordes.

5. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

LordBaconBane Well-Known Member

Welcome friend :D

I have run the bow and Engine variant on mine (magnetized). The engine is best when you have a Slann. It gives you an additional Cosmic die that you get to roll and discard lowest. The bow was OK. I used it against Daughters of Khaine as a why not and I found it's a little unreliable. A bastilidon is preferred if you're going ranged.

A few fun tips for using the steg:

- Try and get the charge with it for the bonus to crushing stomps.
    - Stegadon with fire throwers are really good ontop of objectives. If you can teleport it or simply get it to an objective, charge in, and next turn, use the fire. You'll melt the enemy.
    - They are a decent summon later game because of the point above, but because they'll be outside of shooting range so you may want to opt for bow at that point.
    - Don't forget to roll for your skink javelins!
    Edit:
    - Teleport your stegadon near an objective. LoSaT happen during the hero phase and you can use the skink alpha ability to get an immediate move closer to the objective (even if you roll a 3-4, because the immediate move happens in the hero phase and doesn't count as your move action for the movement phase).. which will put you in range with your flame throwers... and make it easier for a charge. Yeah. I'm doing this next game.
    - Skink alpha ability can be used on the Stegadon itself as well as Terradons, Rippers, Troglodons, Bastilidons, etc, because they have the SKINK/SKINKS keyword. A FAQ clarified that SKINK and SKINKS are synonymous.
    - Kroxigors benefit from the SKINK keytag on the Stegadon.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  6. Accurate_Noib
    Saurus

Accurate_Noib Member

I went with the Bow. It's one of the few weapons with rend that the seraphon have at thier disposal. this makes the bow more valuable (In my opinion) than the flamethrowers.

7. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

In a neat bit of internal rebalancing in the next generals handbook a couple of things change the balance of this discussion

A points drop for the stagadon - down 20 points
    A points increase for the EotG - up 20 points
    No dice rolling for our teleport

That last one matters because the Stegadon is one of our few ways to get movement after a teleport now, for anything with Skink keyword including itself.

As for the choice between bow and flamethrowers, it does really seem to depend on what you are facing. With a reliable teleport and Skink Alpha move the flamethrowers and stomps combine to make pretty good anti-horde tools. The bow is of course much better against single targets of for trying to pick off key hero models with a lucky hit.

Ixt, Tk'ya'pyk, Womboski and 2 others like this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

This will be one our best ways to steal objectives. Especially combined with Wary Fighter.

9. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yeah, in the incoming months, you are going to see an increasing number of builds that will use stagadon(s).
    - decreased points to field a steggy
    - 100% teleport with no move = Stegadons and Troglodons will be our most reliable chargers. with steggy first in line

personally, i favor the bow

10. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

There is a Skaven horde player at my local shop so I'll likely use flame.

ChapterAquila92 and LizardWizard like this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Welcome him with our new spell that deals with hordes.. :cool:

12. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

I did today. I killed 27 clan rats (after battleshock) that way in one cast. I'm going to post the report shortly.

ChapterAquila92, Lizerd, Ixt and 4 others like this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

That's HUGE :D.
    I love that spell.

...but no CP to avoid battleshock? Not even a verminlord to skip it?

LizardWizard likes this.
  14. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

He doesn't have a Verminlord. And he didnt have a CP cause he used them up buffing rats. Also, i forgot about that CP to bypass.....

LizardWizard and Killer Angel like this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

Ah... makes sense.
    A mistake your opponent won't do again.
    Either way, good for you, as an unspent CP means less buffed rats ;)

16. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Imagine if Steg had the HERO keyword for the Alpha that rides it... you could arcane vassel the spell then flame thrower the horde all while keeping the caster very safe :)

17. Slikus Vaw
    Cold One

Slikus Vaw Active Member

i love the flamethrower especially in the thunderquake and having an astrolith near by, 3+ with re-rolls on hits and wounds is awesome. many times ive made every shot. also in the TQ it gets more tanky with re-roll failed saves

LizardWizard likes this.
  18. Loki
    Jungle Swarm

Loki New Member

So the stegadon’s “skink alpha” ability can be used on itself to give it some extra movement before closing in for a charge which is amazing after a teleportation to within 9” of the enemy. Now my first question is that I would assume that the stegadon would also be able to Reroll all hit rolls of 1 until the next hero phase which could include the bow shooting into the enemy before the charge, and then the melee attacks after a successful charge in our turn, and once again during the opponent’s turn melee. Now my main question is due to somewhat vague wording. If we are within 3”, we cannot roll a dice and move the stegadon that far. BUT! As written, it sounds like we can still target the stegadon with the ability to get the Reroll of 1’s to hit. Is this the correct way to play this ability?

LizardWizard likes this.
  19. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

YES. the wording of the ability DOES allow that. the ability states if it is not within 3" you may do the move. period. then says IN ADDITON as a second line of text. this portion of the ability is separate from the first portion and does not have the conditional trigger requirement.

LizardWizard likes this.
  20. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

essentially the target just has to be within 8" to be a legal target. then it has two abilities, one with a condition and one without. essentially the order is the re roll, and the move is a bonus if its not locked in melee already.

LizardWizard likes this.