1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steggy Question

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Zepron, Jun 20, 2009.

1. Zepron
    Jungle Swarm

Zepron New Member

I bought two steggy's from my local store that were already put together unpainted. Well I want to take them apart to be able to paint them better, but I dont want to just go to town and start cutting it apart. I was wondering if there was an easy way to get the super glue off or weaken it to take it apart or if anyone has any other suggestions! Thanks in advance!

~Zepron

2. slannfrog
    Cold One

slannfrog Member

Was it badly assembled??? If not don't worry about it.

If you really have to get the glue off you can do what my friend did. He soaked the model in 'paint stripper' for a week and the glue bond weakend enough for him to rip it apart.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

You are sure it is super glue not poly cement? If it is poly cement, its not coming apart no matter what you do.

To be honest, I think you are better off leaving it together. Any super glue solvent is also a paint solvent so you will need to really really make sure you get it all off before you start painting, and a lot of solvents have the potential of deforming the plastic. Test it out with a bit of sprue before putting the whole model in it.

Brake fluid does do a good job of breaking superglue, that would be my choice.

4. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

Brake fluid is best left in the car lol ^^

I spent a good few hours putting my stegadon kit together yesterday so my advice to you is to leave them as they are. There are too many fiddly bits to be able to take them apart and put them back together while still having all the pieces sitting flush.

The howdah itself should be easy enough to remove, I'm not advocating the use of excess force but it can be done.

The rest of the steg however is a fairly solid build so don't force it apart...

5. Krox-Power
    Saurus

Krox-Power New Member

I just painted mine assembled. What I recommend is that you just get brush that is fairly thick and has a bit of length to paint the bit of the stegadon that will be hard to reach. If it's hard to reach, it'll be kinda hard to see, so as long as it has the same basic look, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just ram the paint between the howdah and steggie's back, and then smooth it out, and you'll be fine.

6. Bongeh
    Skink

Bongeh New Member

depending on how long the glue has been bonded, i find that dabbing more glue on the seems disolves the old sutff enough for me to pull things apart, it can make a big mess though

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

That would be a very short-term thing, I'm thinking minutes maybe up to an hour if you are lucky certainly not days as is the case here. And if you have it that fresh, it is better to just pull the two pieces apart since the bond doesn't fully strengthen for several hours, up to 12-24.