1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Stoneskins

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Ambroz, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Ambroz
    Skink

Ambroz New Member

Hi guys, this is going to be my first Fantasy army. In the past I've really only painted marines (big 40k player) but I've been wanting to get into Lizardmen and decided to finally paint the guys I've had laying around forever. So first up is the test model. Wanted something easy but different, so I decided to try to make them camouflaged like stone. Sorry for the poor picture quality.

IMG_1066_zpsa2a6b69e.jpg

IMG_1070_zps225c0748.jpg

Not sure if I like the silver, might change it up for gold instead. Any thoughts?

2. The Scottish Saurus
    Saurus

The Scottish Saurus New Member

looks awsome dude, is it shiny? cause if not i think thats really nice if so its still pretty cool

3. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I really like it! :)

The silver suits the colour scheme but I think it might risk being swallowed by it. Gold would create a big contrast between the two, and make the weapon more noticeable.

It comes down to whether you want to have an overall subtle colour scheme, or you don't mind an invigorating, if not potentially garish, spot-colour?

You could always meet it somewhere in the middle and use a dark-bronze? It'd still contrast to a fair degree, but overall be more muted than gold?

4. Ambroz
    Skink

Ambroz New Member

Scottish Saurus - Thanks man, nope it's not shiny, might just be a angle from the lighting if it looks shiny.

Slanputin - Thanks again, yeah I think it is swallowed up by it. I'm going to try Sycorax bronze on it and see how that looks. Any ideas for basing? Not sure I should go with the traditional jungle scheme.

5. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Execution is good, but you need some color contrast. Do the shields in color of some kind.

6. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I think you might want to go for something in the warmer range of colours for basing? Ideas like Golden Savannah (yellows, muted orange & browns), Autumnal Forest (rustic colours: dappled oranges & browns), Lava ( bright red, yellow, orange) or Sandstone (muted yellow, orange, red). The colours on the Saurus are quite cold, so that might generate a nice contrast.

Otherwise, you could run with the cold scheme and go for a something like Stormy Coast or Ice Plains, by using a mix of blues? The blue will still contrast due to the burst of colours, however it might not be as explicit as the warmer variations.

7. Ambroz
    Skink

Ambroz New Member

What color would you suggest for the shields? White maybe or something different altogether?

Slanputin, I like the lava and ice/snow. I think I'll try the lava first.

8. Ambroz
    Skink

Ambroz New Member

How about this for a little different scheme?

IMG_1074_zpsbc83428f.jpg

IMG_1088_zps05899e66.jpg

9. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Since it is all grayscale right now, really you could do ANY color except black/white/gray and have it look good.

10. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

Awesome!

11. totzro
    Kroxigor

totzro Active Member

The grey, fiery red one works super good. Love it! I still suggest you pick another contrasting color for the shields. Now it looks like the saurus is using their own hide for shields. Not very fittingly in my opinion.
    Green goes together well with red, but don't know if it work with this color scheme. Maybe a warm yellow?

12. PlasmaDavid
    Kroxigor

PlasmaDavid Active Member

My Saurus have the same colour hide/shields. I love the idea of Saurus being unflinchingly badass and alien-minded. After a bloody battle they drag their dead back to their lines, and the skinks skin the dead Saurus. Because that's the easiest way to harvest large amounts of tough hide in a short time!

13. Ambroz
    Skink

Ambroz New Member

Thanks guys. The shields just look so similar to their actual skin I keep wanting to paint it the same color. Hmm so I think my final decision on the shields will be to switch up the colors for every 5-6 guys I do. Maybe switch between yellow/white, green/white, blue/white etc.

So between the two schemes, the fiery one looks better than the grey/white? My friends are telling me to stick with the grey scheme.....Dunno which to go with!

14. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

That's the exact same colour scheme I started painting my lizzies! (before I changed my mind I might add). You've pulled it off much nicer than I did though. Excellent work!

15. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Looking good so far. I like both paint schemes but like the first one more :).