1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog StormyPete's Lizardmen Painting Log

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by StormyPete, Jul 17, 2014.

1. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

Hello Lustria-Online!
    I figured I would start a painting log partly to keep up my motivation to paint and partly to work on my internet skillz. Hopefully you guys enjoy it, I plan on updating it regularly so long as life doesn't get in the way (it has a pesky habit of doing that). Plus more pictures of miniatures is never a bad thing amiright?

I've got 1000 points of Lizardmen currently and have set a rule that I will not buy any more until I have this lot painted. Progress is coming along, and it helps that my work load is a bit less due to summer. Here's the lot mostly base-coated and awaiting brush love.
    image_zps6a1a079e.jpg

And here is my first rank of Saurus finished!
    photo_zps67cb3bce.jpg

With a close-up of the shields and scales on their backs
    image_zps4ec03dac.jpg

I'm using the yellow scheme from the White Dwarf and Lizardmen book as a rough guide. I think the bright yellow works really well with the teal skin and dark blue scales. Hope you guys enjoy them, comments always welcome!

-StormyPete

2. Ondjage
    Razordon

Ondjage Member

Nooice!!

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Agreed, the yellow crest look great. :D

4. Autumnpizza
    Skink

Autumnpizza New Member

Very nice scheme! I really love how you painted that yellow spines and crests. Do you plan on painting bigger yellow surfaces, like salamanders or terradons? I think that it might pop up a lot in your army.

I've got a question, how do you usually paint gold? Do you use shining gold or burnished gold (or both)?
    I usually start with a bubonic brown base followed by the shining gold. Then I usually highlight with burnished gold but I think that if I don't shade with brown ink first, it won't be any contrast between gold colours. Also I like finishing with a very thin layer of dark angels green ink (almost water) to make gold appear old and rusty in some points.

Keep it up! Looking forward for more updates.

5. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

Thanks, guys!

Yeah the ripperdactyls and bastiladon will have larger yellow patterns on them.

For the gold I first painted Balthasar Gold then washed with Agrax Earthshade followed by a mid-tone of Gehenna's Gold and a highlight of Runefang Silver. It's weird but the silver highlight really makes it look more like gold. At least to me.

6. Autumnpizza
    Skink

Autumnpizza New Member

Oh I'm still using the old paints' names because I still have some of them...also I use Vallejo, so I hope the colours you named are similar to what I'm thinking of.

I tried highlighting with silver but I always screw up, so I use metal medium alone instead, which is very similar to silver.

Do you use metal medium for? I'm not sure about what's the best way to use it, if mixing with the colour I want or applying a wash-like layer to the flat colour.

7. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

I used to screw up the silver highlights too... they need to be REALLY thin to look right, otherwise it will just come out weird. I've not used metal medium (or even heard of it) so I can't help you there :p

Made a bit of progress this week. I got another rank of Saurus painted... I'm liking how this unit is turning out. Can't wait until it's finished! (apologies for the mediocre photos, tried using natural lighting and it doesn't work too well :D )
    image_zps521a5eae.jpg

I've also started on my skinks, here's the yellow I'm doing for them (this guy isn't done yet)
    image_zps7a126e14.jpg

And finally got a nice jade pattern on my Skink Priest who is almost finished
    image_zpsce897703.jpg

I'm really pleased with how the jade turned out. I may do a green glaze on it to dull the highlights a bit but I'm not sure if I want to yet. Still need to do the back side of his staff as well. I'm tempted to do the Saurus banners like this but not sure if it will look good. Thoughts?

8. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

1) Staff looks really good. I think the highlights look fine and would not tone them down. If you repeat this effect on your banners it will look great.

2) Love the skinks. The transition between the blue and yellow is blended really well.

3) Mixed feelings on the saurus. The yellow on the heads looks perfect. The yellow on the back spines not so much. The reason why is the lack of transition. It's just a really abrupt switch from the olive-gray of the back scales to the bright yellow of the spines. I think it would look better if the first row of scales on either side of the back spines was a place of transition with the yellow blending in there, maybe widening the are of transition a bit around the shoulders.

9. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

I had a similar feeling with the Saurus; I saw another guy's painted with orange markings and he went wider on the shoulders and tapered it down to the tail. I may try a test on one of them to see if I like it better. It would take like 2 minutes to fix that if it looks better :D

10. Autumnpizza
    Skink

Autumnpizza New Member

The staff is awesome, I think I would never be able to do something like that...

In my opinion I like the saurus more than the skins, although the transitions can seem abrupt on the saurus. I think that gives a very nice effect on the whole batallion.
    In the other hand, I think the yellow heads of the skinks pops out too much, but if that's the effect you wanted it's pretty great. I would have focused more on the crest.

But still, awesome job! You're a talented painter.

11. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

Yeah the high contrast is what I'm going for. The yellow is just bright and in-your-face but at the same time kind of works with the teal. I widened out the yellow on one of the Saurus shoulders and it does look much better. I'll post some more pics soon.

And never say never, Autumnpizza! I've been painting for about 10 years but my first minis (Tau Firewarriors) looked like I colored them with a crayon held between my toes. Just keep painting and trying new things out and you'll get better.

12. Autumnpizza
    Skink

Autumnpizza New Member

Haha thanks! My first minis were the first edition skinks and they seem like soaked in the paint jar...but still, I started painting when I was little and half of my army looks awful... :rolleyes:

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

How did you paint the staff? I'm clueless how to make anything similar <.< maybe just lack of skills? :p

14. rychek
    Troglodon

rychek Active Member

Wow, very nice painting! Love the start of the Skink Priest. The rest look great as well. I can hardly wait to see what you do with the Rippers/Terradons in your army pic.

15. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

OH I forgot to comment earlier, but yea Brilliant gem like highlights on the staph man. :smug:

16. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

Pinktaco, the jade bit on the staff starts off black, then a coat of Kabalite green all over. I do edge highlights of Sybarite green where I think the light will hit then add little dots of white. Finally I put Incubi Darkness opposite the highlights and voila!

I really like the "Dark Eldar" paints and always look for excuses to use them :D

17. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

Ok, new weekend, new update! Got some decent progress done this week with 6 Skinks and 5 Temple Guard finished and all but the feathers done on my Skink Priest.

image_zps22f22004.jpg

image_zpse2b826fa.jpg

image_zpsdddf7195.jpg

image_zps6a8c0db5.jpg

I also finished updating the scales on the Saurus so the yellow is a bit wider.
    image_zpsd902233e.jpg

18. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

Despite the fact that the yellow stands out really nicely, i like the simple yet affective basing you have happening here. is it just painted sand base with clump foliage?

19. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

Yep. 3 colors dry-brushed on to black sand with woodland scenic dark green clump foliage. Takes about 5 minutes to do a rank but turned out pretty good I think. I've been toying around with adding in some static grass (probably the yellow "dead grass" variety) but I'm not sure.

20. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

I like it. it's a nice scenic brand, those woodlands.
    If you were to do a bit of static as well, I'd reccommend;
    1. Probably not dead grass, because it's a little bit like opposites (lush green foliage with dead yellow grass), and
    2. only use a little bit on each base. You have lots of clump foliage on the bases so far and "too much going on" is very easy to accomplish. it's a teetering tower haha