1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Stripping minitures

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Phoedinn, May 7, 2016.

1. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Phoedinn Well-Known Member

Hey guys!

I just managed to pick up some lovely OOP sail back salamanders...with a horrendous paint job XD What brand of paint remover/chemical stuff do you recommend? I've tried nail varnish remover but didn't have much luck with it :L

Thanks!

Warden likes this.
  2. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I usually use deoxygenated alcohol (the one to disinfect wounds). Just pour them in a jar and let them sit for 1 hour max (if they are metal there will be no problem with having them sit longer, but if they are plastic it can melt some of the finer detail), but with a lid to avoid the alcohol from evaporating. Then just strip the paint off with a toothbrush. If it is metal I don´t think you will have any problems with it.
    Hope it helps ;)

3. Phoedinn
    Razordon

Great! What brand/product would have that? Is it the hand santizer stuff?

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'm surprised the nail polish remover didn't work for you. Did you let the models soak for a while (a day or two)? It could be the case that whoever originally painted the model used some non-acrylic type of paint.

You could try using paint stripper... the kind that you would find in a hardware store.

5. Phoedinn
    Razordon

It did kind of work, the issue is that the models were far too bumpy, so that method only cleaned the flat parts (the tutorial I was following mentions how scrubbing didn't work, and that you had to "roll" the paint off)

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I have never tried this stuff. But the better painters on the Reaper Forums recommend a soak in this stuff followed by a scrub with a soft tooth brush.

Metal minis: can go days.
    Plastic minis: hours** but not a full day.
    Paint: is not supposed to survive more than about 4 hours.

**They left one of their plastics for a couple of weeks (by chance, as is always the case with the best Mad Science) and it asploded, delaminated, and turned fluffy.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  7. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

I don´t know the brand, it´s the one I bought in the pharmacy. Anyways I have only tried it with acrylic paints, so I don´t know if it would work with others. But I also heard that concentrated washing liquid also works pretty well.

8. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I have also heard good things about simple green, you should be able to get it from walmart/local shopping store.

Also this clip from youtube gave a good overview of the process, plus the video showing the old painted eldar model (of questionable painting quality) getting stripped and ready for a new paint job.

Luetin09: How to Strip Paint from Miniatures

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

http://www.simplegreen.co.uk/
    @Phoedinn is in the UK; not sure Walmart is. But that link ought to identify places to find it. Wickes? maybe...

10. Phoedinn
    Razordon

We have Asda over here. It's owned by the same company but I'm unsure how similar they are.

Annoyingly I had a look at my local shop but had no luck :( they seemingly only sell toilet bleach and own brand kitchen spray.

11. pendrake
    Skink Priest

In the states SG is carried on the contractor cleanup/cleaning products aisle at all the big DIY stores. I thought Wickes was one of those places in the UK. And there is another that goes by initials... B&E, D&Y..? Looked it up once but not remembering. ~~~ goes and looks ~~~

B&Q, that was it.

I looked thoroughly at the UK website link and they don't list any retailers, so they may not be distributing it to retailers in the UK, opting to sell it direct over the internet instead.

12. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Sellers on ebay have it but it is cheaper direct from the supplier.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Simple-Gr...405833?hash=item1c650c8dc9:g:xB4AAOSw5ZBWL3K3

13. pendrake
    Skink Priest

14. Purehammer
    Skink

Purehammer Member

After some help on here I found that detol works wonders and if you have access to a sonic bath you can clean paint off plastic and metal models in a few hours.

Just a scrub with a tooth brush after, brilliant.

Wash them with water to repaint.

15. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Which Dettol?

...seems to be a family of products from Benckiser. Orange one?

SlanntaClause likes this.
  16. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

I use stuff called plastic cleaner from the house brand of our supermarket... The stuff is recommended for plastic furniture and other things like that...
    Works very well and you can leave the minis in it for days... Weeks... Months... ;) it even got the revel paint off I used 16years ago when I painted my first models!

SlanntaClause and Crowsfoot like this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

18. Purehammer
    Skink

Purehammer Member

Yeah the orange one

19. Lawot
    Kroxigor

Lawot Active Member

Yeah, I think any degreaser would work. I've been using one called Citra-Solv. It wrecks plastic in minutes, but soaking metal in it for hours (or days) is no problem. Paint comes off with a toothbrush, though I'd recommend a stiff one rather than a soft one.

I just picked up some Simple Green for the first time, and I've got both some plastic Skinks and a metal Slann to strip. I'll let you know how it goes!

20. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I also find dettol disinfectant to be great. I must say however, WEAR GLOVES!! I stripped half an army of Chaos Space Marines in it and after a day of scrubbing my hands felt sunburnt. The next day my skin started peeling off. Not pleasant at all!

I also have to get permission from my wife to do this now because I smell like Dettol for a good day or two, and she hates it!

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.