1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stylish bases?

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Igelypop, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Igelypop
    Skink

Igelypop New Member

Trying to figure out what kind of bases I would like to have on my lizzies. What do yours look like? Any tips and ideas in making them? Do I use greenstuff or something else? Just can't stand to have a flat one. :p

2. Deadmetal
    Saurus

Deadmetal New Member

I've just copied the bases that games-workshop use. You can see how to make them on the website and then going onto the painting guides for the lizardmen.

However. I am planning on cutting up some skaven and scattering them around the bases of the bigger guys (stegadons and carnosaurs) to look like kills.

Hope this helped :D .

3. Igelypop
    Skink

Igelypop New Member

That Skaven thing sure sounded interesting.. Think I'll do something about the same but with smelly empire soldiers, since one of my pals play them.. Hehehee..

4. joey goldcoast
    Skink

joey goldcoast New Member

If you check out my blog with the link below, you will see a base I have done for my Slann. I basically copied the symbol on the top of the throne and tried to make it look like paving. I used milliput and not GS. Its better for larger areas like bases and quite a bit cheaper too. Plus it smooths out really well with water.

Pic is near bottom of blog.

5. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

6. Rockrap
    Jungle Swarm

Rockrap New Member

Excellent link , thanks very much for the heads up doom_diver ;)

7. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

That link doesn't work for me. Anyone else?

Hm, bases, eh?
    I usually just paint them with Charadon granite, and then drybrush some Graveyard Earth overtop of that. Then, especially on the bigger bases like my Carnosaur and Stegadon, I put some grass, and maybe some bigger rocks, or maybe a neat little relic laying on the ground. I usually forgo the whole bit about chopping up other models and putting them around, just cuz I think that looks a little tacky, but if it works for you, go for it!
    Here's some real cool stuff.

8. doom_diver
    Cold One

doom_diver New Member

and thats why your bases are not very good. LoL.

9. asrodrig
    Carnasaur

asrodrig New Member

You go and get bent :smug:

10. josef
    Skink

josef New Member

11. Tak
    Jungle Swarm

Tak New Member

Hey all,
    I'm new to Lustria Online, Lizardmen, and well, forums in general! So , pleased to meet you all :D

I made my first Lizardmen order a few days ago, and while waiting for them to arrive, I decided to have a go at sculpting my own bases for the 3 Terradons I have.
    http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture092.jpg

I used a block of polystyrene, and carved the design with a modelling knife (marking it out with pencil first) very cheap and relatively fast. The jungle plants are plastic leaves from a gardening supply shop. and the vines from some old roots dug up in the garden.

The total cost was practically zero, and i'm generally happy with the broken ruins look of it.

One thing to note is that the Terradons are metal mini's... So on top of a polystyrene base can be top heavy. So you're pretty much limited to positioning them directly above the totems. Does anyone have a good suggestion to work around that problem?

Anyway, heres the first 2 completed models ( My first ever attempt at Skinks, so please be kind :rolleyes: ! )

http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture095n.jpg
    http://img410.imageshack.us/my.php?image=picture101.jpg

Cheers ;)

12. Craken
    Carnasaur

Craken Well-Known Member

Those look great, I love the bases the only suggestion I have is gluing some coins or metal under the bases to add some weight to the base itself.

13. Revien
    Cold One

Revien New Member

Wow, great bases! Really adds to the action of the models!

14. Tak
    Jungle Swarm

Tak New Member

Thanks guys :) I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth stuck into painting/modelling up my lizzies. Only problem is I have to wait 2 more weeks for the rest of them to arrive with only 1 more terradon and a Skink priest to keep me occupied til then.

The coin on the base idea sounds good, i'll try it out. Should be a little heavier than the cut tags from my other models.

another idea for bases is to check out http://back2base-ix.com/ Not so cheap but good looking,pre-made bases. Or just have a look to get some ideas.