1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds Painting 2019: End of the Year Closing. Thanks Everyone for the support and great community!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

That looks incredible! Very nice work you have done

Sudsinabucket and Nazqua like this.
  2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Thank you :) I wasn't sure how or what to make at first but then i started looking around and found an old pen that didn't work and then the idea hit me.

Thankfully it turned out looking pretty stellar, just debating on color now for it

Nazqua and Lizerd like this.
  3. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Hey all!

So I painted up the tail weapon and I decided to make some gems for it to help it (hopefully) feel/look more natural. Think it came out pretty well. Ended up just doing a base of ret armor all over otherwise, I am conflicted some as I rrally did like the natural wood feel instead of the all gold....

I do have a question, in the photos i include a comment I recieved on facebook after sharing these (within the last 5 minutes) and I wanted to ask your opinion. Although I am slightly annoyed at the comment mainly die to not knowing what he means entirely and it feels like an attack on my hard work...i am also trying to keep an open mind.

So I ask, would it possibly be a good idea if after I gather everything I need that I just attach it and then prime everything again and just paint as one project all over again? Or do I keep going the route I've been going which is building it piece by piece?

I can see merits for both

Thanks,

Suds
    20191122_112930.jpg 20191122_120911.jpg 20191122_140154.jpg 20191122_131354.jpg 20191122_140217.jpg 20191122_170035.jpg 20191122_165500.jpg Screenshot_20191122-180418_Facebook.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Aginor, childishknight and Lizerd like this.
  4. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

childishknight Well-Known Member

Well, it’s not worded in a very good way. If it was meant as constructive feedback, the person really needs to work on their ability to convey that better.

I think there are merits to priming the entire thing once’s it’s fully assembled. It would help give everything a uniformed look (which I think is what FB guy was trying to say) and it could fill in the small gaps around the legs. I’m just nit-picking and I don’t think your average laymen would really notice the gaps once the project is finished. You could also fill them with epoxy sculpt like green stuff and just paint the seem to blend in.

if you did prime the whole thing, I shiver at the thought of having to cover that GIANT sauropod in paint.... that’s a LOT of extra time, effort, and expensive paint to something that is not totally necessary.

my advise is to keep doing what your doing and figure out the priming situation later. Maybe put a hold on painting things until the entire thing is assembled. Then you can decide if you want to prime the whole thing or just paint the individual parts.

I hope this helps! It’s just my opinion and I love this project! The fact is you have an awesome model, great imagination, and it’s gonna look incredible once’s it’s done! I hope GW sees your hard work and are inspired to do something similar for a future release. Keep up the good work!

5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you foe the kind words :) I too hope that GW is watching and I secretly hope they adopt the rules and make a thunderlizard model...but I dream

I also agree on the guys poorly worded advice/opinion. When I first started I didnt care much about the seams, I put enough liquid green stuff in to where I thought itd hide it...and turned out I was wrong after priming it. Now with more experiejce I care more, but it is what it is, once more is on it as you said most ppl wont notice. That's the other thing, I've painted this once and that was a lot of paint lol I feel a lot of people think this was a pre painted toy lol ah well.

I do think I agree with keeping on the track Im going and just doing it piece by piece for now, itll look cohesive I think once its all put together.

Thanks!

Lizerd and childishknight like this.
  6. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

Ohhhh I didn’t know you painted that bad boy! :eek::eek::eek: Screw repainting it! That’s so much time wasted if you prime over the whole thing again.

Lizerd and Sudsinabucket like this.
  7. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Lol! Yeah...I painted this bad girl already once lol at some point im going to post a full album of first pictures to total finished Thunderlizard

It was A LOOOTTTTT of paint haha

When i first started I only thought id ever only have a popsickle stick howdah...never imagined thatd she would be what she is today. So i painted her up not expecting to add much more

Lizerd and childishknight like this.
  8. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

I guess the person meant the different color parts on the platforms which obviously won’t be orange with clear parts... I’m guessing the person does not work on models...

Lizerd and Sudsinabucket like this.
  9. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Finally got the nerve to start up my test/possible backside platform. Going with gold painted side and then a cool stone middle. The side details are Sotek green, Mephiston Red and the unpainted trianglesnwill be Hoeth Blue. I am still unsure of the main designs in the face of the platforms aside from the saurus faces (will be thousand sons blue) and the serpents will probably be Sotek green 20191123_125144.jpg 20191123_125150.jpg

Heres to hoping it turns out alright!

Imrahil, Lizerd, Explodingzeb and 2 others like this.
  10. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Small update:
    Going for a cool bluish stone look for the base and then coloring in the designs. Going to dry brush some of the stone areas some more but happy with the direction so far!

Colors so far: Machanicus Standard Grey (Primer), Retribution armor, Mephiston Red, Screamer Pink, Sotek Green, Celestra Grey, Ferisian Grey and Nuln Oil

Colors possibly being used in the future: Thousand Sons Blue, Hoeth Blue, Phalanx Yellow, Wild Rider Red, Xereus Purple

Update since the update: Colored in the Saurian Heads and some yellow sun rays

C&C & Suggestions welcome!
    20191123_154330.jpg 20191123_143802.jpg 20191123_151933.jpg

Last edited: Nov 23, 2019
    Imrahil, Aginor, Lizerd and 3 others like this.
  11. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

Looking good! Your giving me some ideas for my stegadon :cool:

Lizerd likes this.
  12. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks! I would love to see what you do!

Heres another update :) took a break but now back at it

Update inside the update: Added purple to the small circle up top. Still debating how much of each design I want to fill and with what colors. Pleased with it thus far,
    Let me know what you think!
    20191123_213801.jpg 20191123_201101.jpg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  13. Khemrian Slann
    Saurus

Khemrian Slann Active Member

14. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

What makes you think it resembles the German Flag? Its 4 different colors: Purple, Blue, Red, Yellow and Sotek Green :) Aztecs used a lot of Red, Blue, orange, etc.

20191124_124354.jpg

Also a small update! Coming together

Thoughts?

Imrahil likes this.
  15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

A little sad this 215mm x 215mm circle is too small to use for my base, would have been perfect.

Damn you Dread Saurian base size, damn you!
    Lol

Edit: Upon looking again my original base size was planned to be 220mm x 200mm, so this 215mm x 215mm could be a healthy compromise.... Especially after learning that Vorgaroth's base is only 208mm x 210mm

Does it matter that its circle and not oval? I know the Maw Crusha's base is Circle which is another big beast

20191124_154803.jpg

16. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Seems like a good size...aside from the tail hanging off so much, but its hard to think there arnt other models that do the same? 20191124_162459.jpg 20191124_162627.jpg

17. Khemrian Slann
    Saurus

Khemrian Slann Active Member

i meant the Eyebrows of the Masks

18. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

The eyebrows have the same 4 color, theres no reference to the German flag or Germany anywhere on my model. I dunno‍

19. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

I like the round base. I don't think the tail really matters because it's high enough off the ground. It shouldn't effect units piling in from behind. Everything is coming along great!

20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thank you! I sadly dont think the base will be long enough and Ive been told an oval base would be better.

At the moment i am debating on 3 sized bases, 2 circular and 1 oval: 9.5" x 9.5" (241mm x 241mm) , 10.5" x 10.5" (266mm x 266mm), or 16" x 8" (406mm x 203mm)

The Thunderlizard herself is 14" (355mm) long so I wasnt sure if I should make the base closer to her size to "Remember a base is meant to be an standardised measurement of the effective area occupied by some entity" to resemble the above statement, which makes sense

The plus side of a larger base is there is more room to be creative with, the down side is more units can clump around it. As always I want it to be balanced which includes the base as much as the rules since well....ya know.

Thoughts on this would be deeply appreciated as I am severely torn! Thanks so much! Pictures below were taken before I adjusted the circular sizes, but are fairly close for people to get an idea of size 20191124_225742.jpg 20191125_085607.jpg 20191125_085741.jpg

Imrahil and Aginor like this.