1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS (Tabletop) Game Theory: Dracothion and the Seraphon

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Bainbow, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

You sure that's Dracothion? Looks more like some unfortunate Chaos monster about to get a face full of hammer to me.

2. Choombatta
    Skink

Choombatta New Member

I doubt Kroak was ever told the entire Great Plan's scope. As others have suggested, I am sure the Old Ones doled out knowledge of the Great Plan on a need to know basis.
    As for the living Slaan at the time, they only had the tablets to give them pieces of the Great Plan.

3. Tlac'Natai the Observer
    Cold One

Tlac'Natai the Observer Active Member

I doubt that the End Times was in any way part of the Great Plan. I say this because when Chaos first showed up, the Old Ones dipped out, seemingly out of fear; fear of the unknown. Chaos by its very nature is completely unpredictable and doesn't play by any rules whatsoever, their very presence was right off the bat NOT part of the Great Plan (but Chaos always finds a way to mess things up, even in the Mortal Realms).

I do like the idea that the End Times HAD to happen in order for Chaos, Sigmar, and Seraphon (sorta) to choose their champions in a rapture and duke it out for eternity in the Mortal Realms like a Warhammer Valhalla/Ragnorok type deal.

4. Choombatta
    Skink

Choombatta New Member

Chaos was not "part" of the Great Plan, I am saying Chaos was the point of the Great Plan.
    Once the Old Ones realized that the Chaos Gods existed in the warp, they started devising a plan to combat them.
    Also, we do not know why or how the Old Ones disappeared. They may have left, they may have been destroyed when the polar gates collapsed. We just do not know.
    I cannot recall anywhere in lore where it was stated the Old Ones left out of fear of the Chaos Gods.

5. details
    Cold One

details Well-Known Member

that's not dracothion

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_54RIg1bh.jpg
    the smaugy fella taking an otherworldly selfie with his venerability, lord kroak, and the little spess ssnek is more probable to be him

chaos was part of the plan, it is suggested that the gates were expected to fall and the young races expected to put up a fight
    the last rulebook had the creation of the races described as if the old ones wanted to create something resistant and at the same time able to use chaos/magic, which in the universe means to have an independent soul and a will, to create an antithetic force of order against chaos

I believe that both lord mazdamundi and kroak knew this, considering that they were aware of what was happening to the winds during the end times and they both prioritized giving as much time as possible to the young races despite knowing that the world would be lost.
    why even care about the world if it will be lost? Why not prioritizing the escape of as many slann as possible instead?
    because there was something happening that they had to protect and leave growing a bit still: The formation of powerful entities reaching godlike powers, like sigmar.

or at least this is what I would say if the end times were somehow logically linked to the narratives of the old world and were not just an unilateral chaotic wank to sell the new releases and to make space to the age of sigmar.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
    spawning of Bob likes this.
  6. Freddy25
    Kroxigor

Freddy25 Well-Known Member

I can't contribute to the discussion cause I didn't have the possibility to read the End Times' fluff, but I wanted to say @details ' pic is BEAUTIFUL. I guess it's from the Seraphon Battletome, right?
    If all the images of the tome are as stunning as this one, this volume must be amazing!

Bowser likes this.
  7. Kor-Lot-Ko
    Skink

Kor-Lot-Ko Member

@Freddy25 Eh, its a mixed bag. Some of the pics are beautiful, some are ok, and some look kinda wierd.

Slanputin and Freddy25 like this.
  8. details
    Cold One

details Well-Known Member

I guess it's up to personal expectations:
    I, for one, can't really enjoy these pictures much; proportions, anatomy and perspectives are all over the place, but, above all, there's a serious and visible problem of deadlines and investments when someone notices the copy pastes and the lack of details in forms.
    and even the actual good artists with potential to make truly stunning works suffer from this, sadly.
    I consider almost all* of these to be FFG tier, simple, illustrative, but not evocative.
    but as I said, it's a matter of standards and expectations, I'm comparing them with the peak that were 6th and 7th editions.

*the few artworks that show a good hand behind (in the age of sigmar in general) seem to be from Paul dainton, it's easily recognizable:
    lizardmen aos.png
    this one is from the khornate battletome

of course there are a few others that stand themselves above the average AoS artwork: the one of the slann and this one, just to cite a pair of examples from the seraphon battletome, but they suffer from lack of details a bit too lizardmen host aos (alt).png

then again, judge for yourselves:
    http://m.imgur.com/a/V9AGb

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  9. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

There is some stand outs art wise in the group but yeah I see what you mean with some of the anatomy everywhere. Makes me sad.

Regardless, I have not read too much End Times Fluff but I like this theory overall, if not Sotek then Dracothion as an Old One of some kind.

Bainbow likes this.
  10. Hyperborean
    Ripperdactil

Hyperborean Well-Known Member

I was rereading the 7th edition lizardman book today and saw it mentioned the jungles were suited for the Old Ones alien metabolisms. So the Old Ones being some form of reptilian is not entirely out of the question.

Freddy25 likes this.