1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Tactics against ogres?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Vadraha, Sep 20, 2013.

1. Vadraha
    Skink

Vadraha New Member

Hey all, just wanted some advice really on how to take out a big unit of 16 ironguts with 3 characters in it. I've tried all sorts but the heavy impact hits due to their extra ranks from ogre charge kill maybe 4 guys before I get to fight. Also he has a thundertusk nearby so my guys are going last against great weapons :(.

2. rantapanda
    Kroxigor

rantapanda Member

what i did against my ogre opponent was just avoid melee at all costs.
    deployd chamos in their flanks so they couldnt charge them 1st turn, got loads of poison skink skirmishers to whittle down their numbers. eventually managed to redirect them enough so i could enjoy a flank charge with my sauruses, just getting in their flank is way more important imo than denying their charge. as they dont get the attacks from the second row. going head on a ogre bunch even if they dont get a charge is quite risky.
    havent played against a thundertusk but i guess ull just need to manage that with a bigger saurus numbers.
    looks like its just models with 6inch away get the ASL, so not the whole unit. also thundertusk should be vulnerable to skink fire.

3. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Charge a kitted out Oldblood cowboy in there and challenge those characters to death; you should have the upper hand in most cases. Sword of Anti-Heroes could be golden here. At very least you should be able to close with the unit and hold it up for a while, then start picking apart the rest of the army.

We have plenty of good chaff units, so lead that deathstar on a wild chase. It's size make it unwieldy, so chip away at it or ignore it while you force it to charge everything but what it wants.

A unit like this makes a nice big target for spells; Pit of Shades, Dwellers, etc. if you're running a Slann. If his BSB has the Rune Maw you'll have to take him out or cast something like Purple Sun that doesn't directly target the unit- but if he has the banner, the BSB has minimal protection (and if he's running a hoard, the BSB will be in the front rank).

The thundertusk only has a 5+ save, so poison will get him eventually.

4. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

Skinks > Gnoblars
    Javelins > Saber Tusk
    Saurus + Ripperdactyles > Bulls/Ironguts.
    Slaan > Slaughtermaster
    Flying Chief > Ironblaster

It went pretty well. I lost one block of saurus when the ogres rolled the 10 to charge; but assisted by Ripperdactyls, the 2nd block of saurus beat the iron guts.
    Chief on ripper took out an iron blaster (flank + charge for winning combat by 2)
    Slaan (WD) burning gazed the slaughter masters unit and did a wound (stripping regener), slaughtermaster dispelled wild form, and then took a handful of wounds from spirit leech.
    Scar Vet blocked the mournfangs (T5 1+ does that).
    In general, the skinks faired better than the gnoblars.
    Lone Sabre Tusks weren't a problem, but larger units of them (like 5, so as not to panic from a stand and fire) would be a big problem.

We have all the tools we need, it's just a matter of getting the right match up.
    I am a bit worried about a huge maneater pistol sniper block going for the Slaan; but that hasn't come up yet.

5. Vadraha
    Skink

Vadraha New Member

Thanks for the input guys! It's very appreciated. Just ordered myself a scar vet on cold one to add to my collection and started thinking about saurus cavalry. How does everyone feel about a unit of 12 smashing into the side with a carnosaur? Would it work as I don't use a slann in 1500pts. Also would chameleon skinks be worth it and how many do people use? I always take at least 2 units of 12 normal skinks with blowpipes just to harry and whittle down big units. Thanks guys :)

6. Pofadder
    Cold One

Pofadder New Member

If the ogre player sports Banner of the Maw like most OK generals would on the gutstar then most spells bounce off..only ones that does not target...Because Pit of shades targets its not going to touch it.

Skink and sally shooting... to deplete if you want to fight it later. or avoid it all game kill the other units for a small win.

Edit Gor-rok already mentioned thse points - doh

7. RipperDerek
    Kroxigor

RipperDerek Active Member

Matt, I've seen you mention the mounted chief several times, and I've been meaning to ask:

Does the Skink Chief get to make a vanguard move if mounted on a flying mount? As far as I can tell, he doesn't have the "flying cavalry" rule, just the more general "flyer" rule. (His Ripper also doesn't seem to have the "toad rage" rule, so no extra attacks or re-rolls RAW, as stupid as that sounds.)

8. Lizardmatt
    Troglodon

Lizardmatt New Member

He does have flying cav. It's listed under the rules for his mount in the character mount section of the army list.
    So far, I've been playing where his ripper doesn't get the bonus attacks.
    It's clear he doesn't get to place a marker, but wither or not his mount gains the bonus against a toad place by another unit can be debated.
    Until FAQ'ed (come on man, any day now GW), I play with the less advantageous of does not benefit.

0Matt