1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Tactics and Artefact help: 1500pt First AoS game

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Ryojin, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Ryojin
    Skink

Ryojin Member

Hey there folks!

Been lurking here for 2-3 months - ever since I got into starting my Seraphon lot. Been super busy with life since (found a ladyfriend and stuff) but I'm now heading for my first ever AoS game with another veteran gamer of our gaming group. I've played 40k, some fantasy, some WarmaHordes, Dropzone Commander, MTG so I should have some touch for the game. My friend he's been into AoS since it came out and has won a couple of small tourneys (promised me to take a balanced list tho!). He's going to run Death (FEC?), Chaos (Mostly Khorne w/ Daemons), Free peoples or Stormcast Eternals.

Anyway. I have a small selection of models painted up which I'd like to use mostly so I'll list them below. I also have concocted a list of my own as you will see.

The main thing here is that I'd like to know if the artefacts I've picked are alright or if I should do something else with them and whether you have any "quick fixes" for the army build so I could have a better game. Also any general tips for running an army like below would be awesome.

Painted models I have:

Skink Starpriest
    Skink Priest
    Troglodon
    Carnosaur w/ oldblood OR scarvet
    Scarvet on Cold blood
    15x saurus knights w/ spears
    20x saurus warriors w/ spears
    Sunblood
    Oldblood
    Astrolith Bearer
    Eternity Warden
    Bastiladon

(Unpainted on my desk 2x Stegadon with magnetised gear, 6x Kroxigor, Slann and unbuilt under it 6 Terra/Ripperdons/30-ish Skinks, 1 Carno/Trogg)

My list:

Allegiance: Order

Leaders
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur (320)
    - Artefact: Quicksilver Potion
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One (100)
    - General/ Trait: Legendary Fighter/Artefact: Relic Blade
    Skink Starseer (160)

Battleline
    3 x 5 x Saurus Knights (120)
    - Lances
    - Seraphon Battleline

Units

Behemoths
    Troglodon (200)
    Bastiladon (300)

Battalions
    Firelance Starhost (60)

Total: 1500/1500

Cheers!

P.s.! If anyone has made an excel quick-ref. spreadsheet with all the stats of your units in a handy table, that would be totally appreciated before I type down my own.

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Looks like you have a pretty decent list here. I would say you have a good load out for traits and artefacts. Some decent shooting and quick troops. Good luck with the game. Use the knights to charge in, leave room for the heroes to get in after. You want the scar-vet to charge last as he allows the rerolls. Don't be afraid to pull a unt from combat to get a charge with a different unit. Hide the running unit behind the bastiladon if you can.

3. Ryojin
    Skink

Ryojin Member

Thanks Bowser!

I've seen plenty of your posts of advice here and they always seem insightful and easy grasp. I'll try and remember your pointers, possibly will try and write up a battle report if I just can remember enough stuff to do so. Though for the most part I'll just try and enjoy the game as I don't get to play too often.

One thing I'm thinking about is swapping the Troglodon for a bit more scoring capability - that is swapping him for a unit of 20 warriors. We will be playing one of the scenarios in the GHB to get a real game going straight away. Though the Troglodon allows me to hide the Starseer in the backfield keeping him safe as he is quite slow compared to the rest of the army.

Any thoughts on that?

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I would go for the objectives and put 200 points of warriors in there. Trog is nice, but more models is better!

5. SpringStingray
    Skink

SpringStingray New Member

Ryojin and Bowser like this.
  6. Jbird460
    Saurus

Jbird460 Member

If you use the Alliance order you cant have knights as battleline, right? Or is that a overlooked rule?

Bowser likes this.
  7. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You use the seraphon allegiance to have knights as battleline, but a seraphon allegiance (or any other order faction) gains the order traits and artefacts until they have their own.

8. SpringStingray
    Skink

SpringStingray New Member

Is it "UNTIL they have their own", or "WHEN they have their own, they have two sets of artefacts/abilities"? I haven't looked, but I've assumed that new release armies get the best of all the rules.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I believe even if they have their own they can choose the order, but they have much better abilities with their own.

SpringStingray likes this.
  10. Ryojin
    Skink

Ryojin Member

Cheers guys. I played the game about an hour ago.

In the end I swapped the Troglodon for the Warriors.

The game was Border Patrol against Chaos (Chosen, Knights, 2x Daemonettes, Keeper of Secrest, Sorcerer on mount, Slaanesh Lord on mount, some warriors of chaos, turned one unit at a time to a wrecking ball with buffs). I lost 5 rerolls on turn one to my enemy from the starseer and I pushed a bit too hard on to the objectives as I needed to get some score on first turn as I was outnumbered modelwise and would have trouble scoring on the next couple of turns if I didn't get in (in my mind anyway).

As you can imagine the rerolls got him the double turn and he then proceeded to maim my saurus warriors and carno in the double round with some odd wounds elsewhere. I took the hit hard in and slowly recovered, but in the end I only lost 30 to 21. Scarvet on Cold one was the real hero, he did away the Keeper of Secrets (softened by a knight charge), the Slaanesh lord and most of the Chaos warrios on his own with lucky rolls and attacking twice.

We both had 3 models left by the end of 5th turn so it was utter carnage on both sides. I just got a very bad start and made some beginner mistakes - but it was just the first game, the only way is up!

Also, I really enjoyed how this army played, aside from the Bastiladon. Too much hype on it being our best unit and the fact that I come from Tau Empire background in 40k and the shooting compared to that did not feel powerful (for those who don't know Tau, they blast away half an army in a succesful shooting phase and can't even melee grots). I think I'll have to invest in some more knights, couple more Carnos and see if I can make them work (with a bloodclaw starhost possibly?).

Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  11. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Bloodclaw all the way! Sounds like a fun game, the bastiladon isn't the best shooter out there. It is just tough to kill, which can be quite distracting for the opponent.