1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Target priority lists?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Jason839, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

i was wondering if anyone has advice on what specific models should be targeted against each army? I know that for a lot of armies the answer is usually kill the heroes, but I can’t find a lot of advice on specifically what heroes to kill first above all others. Things like that.

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

if they go first look for the units providing buffs and aras or the big nasty ones. like in iron jaws you wan't to hit the warchanter and if you can manage it the maw crusha

Jason839 and LizardWizard like this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

It is very situational. The short answer is to always do what will let you score more points than your opponent.

Jason839 likes this.
  4. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

A more expanded answer is to do what is achievable. An example of this would be to ignore the 3+ unrenable save behemoth the enemy brought. Instead focus your fire into their 5+ save horde. This will net you more total influence in the game than dealing a few wounds to a monster.

The main issue with this type of meta theory is how varied the rules for each army are. Killing hordes and ignoring behemoths is the right answer vs most armies. However, this often won't work vs Legions of Nagash. It is for this reason you will post titled something like How to Deal with Legions of Nagash Endless Spell Spam, How to Beat Flesh-Eater Courts, or How to Win Against New Slaanesh. This is further complicated that even with a given army based on how the enemy list is written the answer will change.

In short, ask your opponent where his abilities come from. Ask them their saves, their damage values, the ability for a unit to be buffed and who provides that buff. It is the rules of the game that your opponent must answer and answer truthfully. This doesn't mean the have to talk to strategy with you. Just that they are required to answer any rules related questions to their army. The only way there should be gotcha moments is if you aren't asking question.

Jason839 and Erta Wanderer like this.
  5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

After some consideration I have decided to start a thread about this on an army by army basis. Due to the shear size of the undertaking it will take several weeks to fully complete. The bones of the thread can be found here.

Jason839 and ILKAIN like this.
  6. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

As a general and very very broad rule of thumb:
    1. Do whatever realisticly scores you the most points. For the purposes of "scoring" denying your opponent a point is just as valuable as you scoring a point.
    2. Kill anything you can actually kill and is "valuable" (e.g. skinks are valuable for grabbing objectives, but can safely be ignored when the goal is to kill their general) and can't immeadiatly be replaced/ressurected/healed

As for what's valuable:
      1. Anything big, scary and unstoppable you're going to be unable to kill unless you do it right now, especialyl early in the game. This one is often worth a lot of sacrifices on account of big scary unstoppable things being so increadibly impactfull on the game.
      2. Anything that is about to score points if you leave it alone/would give you points if you kill it
      3. Anything that's going to kill (or sufficiently maim) something valuable of yours if you don't kill it first
      4. Anything that's a force multiplier (has buffs/debuffs)
      5. Anything that's in the way and would allow you to then reach an actually valuable target or sets you up to do something valuable next.
    3. Kill anything that probably will immeadiatly get replaced and is valuable. This mostly covers summoned units of one type or another. Killing them at least gives you control over the battlefield as they (usually) can't respawn in the exact same place.
    4. Anything that you can actually kill and won't immeadiatly be replaced but isn't valuable
    5. Anything you can kill isn't valuable and will be immeadiatly replaced. Do bear in mind things like a command abilities that allow your opponent to return a full strength unit back to the battlefield. If the replacement is a bigger problem than whatever you just killed don't bother..
    6. Anything you're probably not going to scratch or will heal whatever damage you do immeadiatly (e.g. a great unclean one or something when all you have left is skinks). Just try to roadblock these kind of units because unless you have some astonishing luck you're not gonna get anywhere trying to hurt em.
    That's probably the general gist of it in extremely broad terms.

7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Most of these units are a case by case bases. Some you handle early, some you deal with late, some you don't deal with at all. That is the purpose of the new tutorial thread. To give more specific solutions to the larger threat units within competitive AoS. I plan to provide a generalized response followed by a Seraphon tailored response to each of these units.

I told @Jason839 in broad terms to do what lets you score more points than your opponent. Which felt rather unhelpful of me, if I am being honest. Hence a thread is born of my guilt and desire to provide concrete knowledge.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

yeah determining what exacltly fits where is difficult and will be very situational, but at least it gives you some framework to build upon and helps prevent people from just attacking the fancy looking guy or whomever is riding the tallest mount regardless of the circumstances, I'l look at your new thread as well, though I'm afraid you're gonne get bogged down by how increadibly situational it can be.

LizardWizard likes this.
  9. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Yeah, I am trying to keep it brief. It will probably be designed along the lines of an early game, mid game, late game breakdown. At the moment it is just a list of things they are valuable to your opponent. lol

Canas likes this.