1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tecniques for the "new" painter

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Leviathan, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Leviathan
    Jungle Swarm

Leviathan New Member

Hello my cold blooded colleges

While im not new to warhammer, im more or less new to serious painting. About two years ago i gave up on warhammer and took up gaming (pc), now iv ditched gaming and gone back to warhammer. My last warhammer endevour was based mostly tabletop shirmishes, with painting more or less coming down to making sure my minatures aint plastic grey on the tabletop.

So iv decided to take up painting for real, learning some real tecniqes and making my lizard look pretty instead of just avarage. Dont get me wrong, im not a bad painter, although maybe a little out of practice. So im just wonder what sort of hits and tips you more experienced painters use to make your lizzards looks good? Scale dry-brushing, layering, toning etc etc so on and so forth. My current plan is to make the basic skin tone shadow grey, highlight the "muscular" parts with Space wolf grey and use a combination of red Gore and blood red highlight for the scales.

Feedback and maybe some links or description of tecniques very much appreciated!

Cheerio!

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I think you are better off doing a few quick google searches, there are many many painting guides online lots very well illustrated and described which you would get more out of than us if you want a guide kind of thing. A few keywords I suggest are inking, washing, drybrushing, highlighting, wetbrushing, and general 'warhammer painting guide' type stuff.

For lizardmen, 3-5 layers of highlight on the scales doing each one is relatively simple yet quite time consuming and looks very good. I am doing all my models by highlight. Scales can also be done the quicker way with drybrushing and a wash, which can still look good. It depends on how much time you want to spend on each model.

It is mainly a matter of finding one or two colours you like the look of and like together, then working them into your models. Feel free to ask more specific questions.

3. skinkyone
    Chameleon Skink

skinkyone Active Member

coolminiornot.com/forums

this site has some of best painters going on it,
    best place for painting advice,
    i hate painting proberly, it make my
    15 hour table top quality unit take about 4 times as long ><
    i long ago gave up painting armies past gaming standard

4. Leviathan
    Jungle Swarm

Leviathan New Member

Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated!

5. BezZeMad
    Cold One

BezZeMad Member

Hi Leviathan!

I can suggest a few tips for painting that I have picked up over the years ;)

I would suggest drybrushing the scales, but NOT the skin, drybrushed scales look pretty nice but drybrushed skin just makes them look like there made of chalk or something.

I recommend layering for the Skin and as many layers as possible (it can get cold on those jungle nights ;) )

I also recommend WASHES. I may rely on them a little two heavily, but when you've finished painting a Wash all over the model can really tie all the areas together and make it look pretty sweet :meh:

I may not be an 'Eavy Metal standard painter (or anywhere near that) but my models look pretty nice with all the above techniques.

So hope this helps you a little bit.

Cheers, Bez

6. Leviathan
    Jungle Swarm

Leviathan New Member

What kind of washes would you recomend? If im correct they come in different colors, yes? One color wash for the entire model?

And yeah, just finished my first model in 2 years, a skink chief. Took a ruddy 6 hours to compleat. I drybrushed his hide, and personaly i think he looks rather ok, but i can see what you mean with the "chalky" comment. Having trouble doing the gold ornaments, since iv got no better way of doing them then semi-drybrushing them untill they are solid gold with black in the grooves. Looks so so in my opinion.

Thanks a bunch for the feedback.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

For gold if you paint it the flat gold colour first then do a brown ink layer on it, I think the new wash is called devlan mud that would give about the same result, you will find that the brown gets into the crevices and makes it look better. Or try using black wash first then brown, followed up by lightly drybrushing or highlighting with your base gold colour again to lighten the higher areas.

As for which washes to use in general, it really is up to you and subject to experimentation. I have heard of a lot of people having great success with using devlan mud over all of their models to add detail and shadow, but in general keep the wash colour close to the paint colour, so red wash on top of red paint etc. Black is pretty universal though, it can work on basically any part of any model to add depth, then if it looks too dark give it a bit of a drybrush or rough highlight to lighten the upper areas and leave the black in the deep areas.

8. slannFrogy
    Skink

slannFrogy New Member

well im not good myself but yea just look on Google or whatever search engine for paint schemes