1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Tehenhauin Effectiveness

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by TheSkeptic, May 14, 2017.

1. TheSkeptic
    Chameleon Skink

TheSkeptic Active Member

So, I'm going to be acquiring a Tehenhauin model soon, and I'm wondering what all your opinions are on his rules? He's 20 points cheaper then a skink priest, and while he doesn't have the ability to use his Celestial rites within in an 8 bubble like the priest can, he's still able to use Celestial rites on a single target, and I'd say his statline is otherwise a little better. He's definitely a good bit better in melee (His stats are more in line with a skink chiefs I'd say), and while his rolls and range are worse on his ranged attack, he has an extra attack more, and all his attacks mortal wound on a 6, as well as having an extra wound on the priest. He also has a command ability, which affects all skink units within 18, letting them reroll 1s to hit in the combat phase, if memory serves. This is probably normally pretty crummy, since skink units only make up a relatively small chunk of most seraphon armies, however I'm making a skink army list, which is to say almost all my models will have the skink keyword, and as such will benefit from this buff, including things like Troglodons, Bastiladons, Chameleon Skinks and Ripperdactyls, the only thing I can think of not having it would be Kroxigors, which I may not add anyways. I'm basically weighing the pros and cons between his command ability and the Skink Chief's, which is to give +1 to all hit and wound rolls of a single unit until the next hero phase. So, what do you all think? Would you use him over a skink priest, or would you put him aside, and would you say he'd be a better general for my skink list then a skink chief, or no?

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I think the skink chiefs is a bit better, but only affects one unit as opposed to a bunble. Tehenhauin is fairly effective though and I would say worth the points if you have 80 to spare and have the model.

DeadlyRecluse and TheSkeptic like this.
  3. TheSkeptic
    Chameleon Skink

TheSkeptic Active Member

Would he be worth running if not as a general though? I have both of the old skink chief models, so It's not really a problem of who I have or not. I'm just trying to decide which to take as a general, and if I were to take the skink chief as my general, would Tehenhauin measure up to a priest in usefulness without a command ability? I'd like to take him in my list, but only if he'll be of use, and the local players are pretty lax about abiding by WYSIWYG , so I can just take him as a normal skink priest if his rules are inferior to one.

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

As General, it depends on how effective your skink uits are in combat. The skink chief helps out shooting as well but Tehenhauin only effects combat. As a stand in for a priest he works of you only have 80 points left in your build.

5. TheSkeptic
    Chameleon Skink

TheSkeptic Active Member

Well yes, but given the option between taking Tehenhauin or a skink priest, which would you say is the overall better character? Also, I intend to probably use the second list you suggested on my Skink army list thread, so I would be buffing, if memory serves, a bastiladon, a stegadon, some ripperdactyls, and a troglodon.

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Given the option I would take the priest, area effect just works out better than targeted.

7. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

The problem with Tehenhauin, is that he's made for a skink army... and a skink army gains more with a skink chief as general, especially given the fact that the command ability of T. can be duplicated by the shadowstrike starhost.

A pity, because T. should be a badass character.

Bowser likes this.
  8. TheSkeptic
    Chameleon Skink

TheSkeptic Active Member

Yeah, I feel like he'd be used much more often if he had priestly trappings, or at least a somewhat better command ability. Right now, it feels like all the niches he fills are already filled by someone just a little bit better at the purpose they serve then him.

Bowser likes this.
  9. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

Since they have stopped selling the model - which by the way I consider to be pretty awesome - I never make lists with it or similar units because judging by the past they will unfortunately most likely be repealed in the future. * that's why I also don't make lists with the lovely skink chief
    Anyway, reroll 1s to hit is probably a bit worse than +1 to hit but the reroll failed saves can make a huge difference, although it will be situational for sure. If you are an experienced player, I guess that Tenhehauin will matter more when needed !

Bowser likes this.
  10. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Well shadowstrike cannot include Bastiladons and Stegadons unfortunately which in my opinion make a big difference !

TheSkeptic, DeadlyRecluse and Bowser like this.
  11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, I usually pick shadowstrike, then add a Basti. Bastiladons go with all. ;)

Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  12. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

But Heavenswatch has "The Trap is Sprung" and allows the monsters. In fact it replaces the other two abilities with a watered down version of the Thunderstrike healing ability.

Bowser likes this.
  13. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Indeed it does and I like Heavenswatch too much. In fact the last list I am working on is on it ( I still prefer Shadowstrike for mobility but I won't buy more models till I paint some more ! ) but it has a different play style than Shadowstrike imo so it is a different type of list.

Can't argue with that @Killer Angel I wouldn't change my 2 Bastiladon for anything ! I m glad I took @InfamousBeany 's advice back in the day !

InfamousBeany and Bowser like this.