1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Teleport distance question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by ILKAIN, Aug 5, 2018.

?

do you include vertical distance when measuring for LoSaT?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

hey guys quick LOSAT question. My opponent is on a piece of terrain that is 4” up, do I measure 5” away from the base to include the vertical distance of the terrain feature, or do I have to be 9” away horizontally no matter what?

Additionally, if you have the answer can you post the page/faq/errata you found it in please?

Thanks so much!

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

To keep it consistent for flying units, shooting and the like I would use slant range, so measuring directly.

Reasoning:
    The "within x" range does not take obstacles into account, it never does. You measure the distance between the closest points of the two bases. Source: base rules, page 1. (Core book page 226).

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I measure the diagonal distance. That's the same real distance i take to see if a target is within shooting range.
    Unless it's a piece of terrain with rules that say that you measure distance from the terrain itself.

Nart and Aginor like this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

I just noticed that I wrote "slant range" in my post above, and I totally forgot that that's not a term most people know. I meant the same thing as you.

...and that leads to an interesting tactic maybe.... I will have to think about that...

5. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yep, despite the unusual term, in your previous post it was sufficiently clear that we adopt the same procedure ;)

Aginor likes this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

It is a term mostly used when talking about radar or laser operations. I studied geo-informatics so I learned about airborne laser scanning and such things, plus I am a flight simulation and military aviation fan so a lot of radar operations and laser/IR targeting systems there as well. That terminology is something I am using without even thinking a lot about it. :D

Killer Angel likes this.
  7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Thank you both!