1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS temple guard ability

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by protector, Jul 10, 2015.

1. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

So I play with the temple guard adding a save and bravery to any characters close to them. But every time I read the rule it just sounds like I should be adding the save and bravery to the temple guard.

how are others reading and playing this rule?

2. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

To be fair, they got bonuses when joined by a Slan before.

4. Ixt
    Troglodon

Ixt Well-Known Member

Buff themselves, yes. It's their take-one-for-the-team mentality, possibly at the best that it's ever been.

5. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

I understand why the sentence structure gives temple guard the bonuses, the only reason I interpreted it differently was because that takes an overpowered unit and makes it just stupid awesome.

so now my unit of 5 attack each immune to battle shock and reroll hits bad4sses also get an almost unmodified 3+ save. Oh yeah and they reroll 50% of missed wound rolls as well.

that means my unit of 10 will cause on average 30 wounds. Of course we are measuring from models not bases so with positioned halberds I could easily get 20 in range resulting in 60 wounds.

why is it only now that lizardmen are everything I have been hoping for, when the game itself leaves little hope for me?

6. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Wait, how do you get 5 attacks?

7. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

They start with 3, 2 weapon attacks and 1 bite, the formation gives them a 2nd bite and chakax gives them a 3rd weapon attack for a total of 5.

either gor rok or the battle standard can give them full hit rerolls and the mandatory formation oldblood gives them rerolls on wound rolls of 1.

I see no reason to field more than the minimum 30 saurus for the formation and even then it really is a waste. Saurus are in no way better than temple guard and fielding them is a waste of wounds and war scrolls.

8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

look at the last scroll.

LIZARDMEN
    SAURUS HOST

A Saurus Host consists of the
    following units:
    • 1 Saurus Oldblood (Saurus reroll 1's)
    • 3 units of Saurus Warriors
    • 1 unit of Temple Guard or Saurus Cavalry

Saurian Discipline: Saurus Hosts are order exemplified; warriors oblivious to
    danger marching forth in disciplined ranks. You do not need to take battleshock
    tests for units in a Saurus Host. (Unbreakable)

Predatory Fighters: Saurus Hosts are made of the most savage and ferocious
    warriors who excel in the thick of battle. Models in a Saurus Host make 2 attacks
    with their Powerful Jaws and Stardrake Shields rather than 1. (+1 bite attack)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Ixt likes this.
  9. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

I haven't said this in a while, but SAURUS ARE BEAST!!
    Under the saurian host they DOUBLEAST!
    With an oldblood close they are TRIPLEAST!
    Get a slann to invoke the "great drake" constelation and they are QUADRABLEAST!
    Get a Skink priest in for good measure and they are five...fifth...penta....bleh.....ROAAAAAAAR!!

10. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

and by SAURUS I refer to the KEYWORD of cause :D

Bowser and Ixt like this.
  11. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

You could have 5 of Chakax then, and wacth as they tear apart anything.

12. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

Alpha Warden: Temple Guard make
    an additional attack with their Celestite
    Polearms while their unit is within 5"
    of Chakax.

Actually the wording is such that they would only get 1 attack in that scenario, because it relies on the receiver and does not state that Chakax gives +1 attack to all temple guard. Sorry I worded the explanation poorly.

13. Geko747
    Skink

Geko747 New Member

If you want to add an extra level of awesomeness to them, have a skink priest and slann near and cast mystic shield and the skink priests ability to re-roll failed saves for a 2+ re-rollable save. Temple guard are by far my fav unit now. My last battle i had 5 that went through 20 plague monks with ease, they finished the battle losing only 1 model.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Gazbal
    Skink

Gazbal New Member

What I like is that Temple Guard are a very strong and efficient unit even at the base level.
    Depending on what kind of game you are playing they can get different levels of support and buffs so they scale well (ok bad pun) and are good for any sized engagement.

Plus they look awesome.

Bowser likes this.
  15. is4evrdead
    Cold One

is4evrdead Active Member

The temple guard don't even need the battalion you know with having 12 bravery

@phat
    your enthusiasm is awsome

Bowser likes this.
  16. Korloq Huan
    Skink

Korloq Huan Member

The way you play it is absolutely correct. (I can't believe English Language As is actually being useful) Since the subject of the sentence is "Seraphon Heroes", and "its" refers to the subject of the sentence, the rule applies to the heroes.
    I'll admit though I do sometimes think the same thing xD

Hope this helps :)

17. Geko747
    Skink

Geko747 New Member

The subject of the sentence to me is "If this unit is within 8" of any seraphon heroes, add 2 to its bravery and 1 to the result of any save rolls for it"
    The sentence starts with it talking about the temple guard so the rule applies to them if they are within 8" of any hero.

It would state otherwise "If any heroes are within 8" of a unit of temple guard then.... "

All other forums state that it is the Temple Guard as well that get the bonus.

18. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

Idk man; if you buff em with mystic shealds etc you have em very similar to a unit of temple guards and they will be more, thus being able to divide their attacks to more units. You get me?

19. protector
    Temple Guard

protector Active Member

But if you buffed TG instead they would be even better, apples to apples TG are far superior to saurus, you get a better save, more attacks, better access to buffs etc. And they cost the exact same to field so you can get just as many TG as saurus.

If I field a unit of 40 saurus and then buff them with +1 save they will be equal to TG, on the flip side I can instead just field 2x units of 20 TG and get all the same benefits and they keep those benefits without magic buffs and down to the last man unlike saurus who lose effectiveness as the unit shrinks. And if I have chakax then there is no way for saurus to come even close to the effectiveness that TG provide.

20. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

True and you are right!
    However what i meant is: if you have, let's say, 40 saurus...20 with clubs and 20 with spears, you place them in lines of idk 10, and charge two units, you can split those to 2 melee weapons at better advantage after piling in (each model furthermore has the shield/jaw attacks too). If you do the same wih temple guards, the split attacks wont be so efficient: they would use the pole on one unit and the shields on the rest.
    Thus: blocking two units with both weapon and shield may surprise your opponent :)

Of course, it is just a possible tactic and, seen on paper, TGs are stronger